Modes.......???

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Modes.......???

Postby Fluteplayer » Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:11 am

I'm a year 12 student and I'm studying music performance. We have been told to lear three modes and althoughiv'e looked these up on the internet and in various textbooks i cannot get a grasp on the concept.<BR>If anyone can help I'd be eternally gratefull.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Fluteplayer.
Fluteplayer
Section Player

Re: Modes.......???

Postby ~Leslie » Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:07 am

Fluteplayer, Mastering modality is a very important part of musical training. <P>Using the C (ionian) major scale, with no sharps or flats:<P>C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C<P>if you began and ended the scale (or the phrasing) on the note D, it would be D dorian.<P>If on note E, E phyrigian<P>F lydian<P>G mixolydian<P>A aeolian (minor)<P>B locrian<p>[This message has been edited by ~Leslie (edited 02-01-2001).]
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby Fluteplayer » Fri Feb 02, 2001 3:35 am

Thanks ~Leslie,<BR>That helped a little, Since I posted this message my teacher has further explained the concept and I think i am beginning to grsp it.<BR>Thanks for you help.<BR>Fluteplayer Image
Fluteplayer
Section Player

Postby shostakovich » Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:52 am

Thanks, again, Leslie. You made the modes more understandable to me, too. I'd never heard of the Locrian. Malcolm Arnold wrote 2 sets of English Dances (8 in all) in 1950-51. They are very easy to take, and some of the dances are in modes: Aeolian, Dorian, and Mixolydian (love that name).<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Fri Feb 02, 2001 8:44 pm

Hey Shos Image Kinda reminds me of Groucho Marx singing: <P>O Lydia, O Lydia, my encyclopedia!<P>Seriously though, modality is everywhere, even in modern music,....from Miles to the Beatles, and beyond.<P>Another great discovery by the Ancient Greeks. Image
~Leslie
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes