Wanting more to my Ludwig Van collection....suggestions

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks, Bones!

I believe you've posted before that your favourite was the Bernstein/NYPO recording. is that correct?

V/R
Shapley

P.S., In defense of the amateur conductor: Boatbuilders have a saying: "The Titanic was built by professionals, the Ark was built by amateurs." :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 am

I also don't like Kaplan's 1st recording, but he moght have improved with his second.
he only conducts Mahler 2 and the Adagietto from no. 5.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Bones » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Shapley wrote:Thanks, Bones!

I believe you've posted before that your favourite was the Bernstein/NYPO recording. is that correct?

V/R
Shapley

P.S., In defense of the amateur conductor: Boatbuilders have a saying: "The Titanic was built by professionals, the Ark was built by amateurs." :D

I don't know that I have a favorite version, but you can't go wrong with Lenny. Although I'm not an Osawa fan, I like his version. Also, I have an old Klemperer/VSO recording that I like.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Shapley wrote:I believe you've posted before that your favourite was the Bernstein/NYPO recording. is that correct?

That might have been me referring to Holst's The Planets, because it is my favorite recording of one of my favorite works.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Barfle,

Perhaps, I was of the impression that someone listed Bernstein and the NYPO as their favourite version of the "Resurrection" back when we were discussing Mahler in an earlier thread. Apparently it wasn't Bones. I had mentioned that I had a recording by him on vinyl. I think my post was a reply to this statement. Whatever, I'm too lazy to search the threads for it.

Lenny is a recurring favourite in every thread. So it could have been anyone of us discussing any composer. I think Bones' statement "You can't go wrong with Lenny" could be the B.com BB Motto. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:10 pm

The first movement of the Mahler 2nd is astounding. I have both Lenny on record and Gilbert on CD. I enjoy them both. I lose some interest after the first movement.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Some long movements......

Postby Catmando » Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Although I am enjoying my recently acquired Mahler symphonies, I am finding some of the movements are REALLY long. :?

Some of the movements clock in at about 35 minutes! :o
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 am

May I recommend Wagner's Ring Cycle of Operas to help you appreciate Mahler's 35 minute movement. :twisted:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am

Serenity wrote:May I recommend Wagner's Ring Cycle of Operas to help you appreciate Mahler's 35 minute movement. :twisted:

That was cruel...... :twisted:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Marye » Thu May 11, 2006 12:50 pm

shostakovich wrote:The first movement of the Mahler 2nd is astounding. I have both Lenny on record and Gilbert on CD. I enjoy them both. I lose some interest after the first movement.
Shos

I am captivated to the end. It is a favourite. My CD is Klemperer with Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. Beautiful.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:05 pm

Being a newbie to Mahler, so far I've listened to 7 of the 9 Mahler symphonies box set.

I have # 8 and 9 left (along with the adagio from the unfinished 10th).

So far I'd have to say my favorite is Mahler's 5th. I know that's going to frustrate Shapley, since he believes everyone only enjoys symphonies that are odd numbered. :wink:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:10 pm

Well that's Shap all over.... "odd" through and through.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:09 pm

didn't this start as a Beethoven suggestion thread? Mahler is all conquering!
bignaf
1st Chair

Re: Wanting more to my Ludwig Van collection....suggestions

Postby Catmando » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:45 pm

bignaf wrote:there's the triple concerto (not a great work in Beethoven standards), the choral fantasy (interesting work), and the diabelli variations (must have).
some people will add the cello sonatas, I'm not a fan.
the piano trios (Ghost, Archduke) are good.
don't bother with the songs.

This item can now be checked off the Beethoven wish list. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Hexameron » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 am

I noticed you have Missa Solemnis on your list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... 04?ie=UTF8

This is the best recording you can get by Gardiner.

Also the Mass in C.

Gardiner is advocated again here for possibly the best recording of the mass.

Oh, and glancing at that previous quote from bignaf I have to say a few things. Bignaf mentions not being a fan of the cello sonatas, which is ok. But I think many would agree that Beethoven's cello sonatas are the best of their kind, just like his piano sonatas rank supreme in the entire literature. And the "don't bother with the songs" statement should be dismissed. Beethoven has the most spellbinding and magnificent songs besides Schubert. The Lieder von Goethe, the Adelaide, and my god the An di ferne Geliebte, all speak for themselves. Do not underestimate them just because the radio never plays them or you can't find them on the countless "Best of Beethoven" CD's out there.
Hexameron
4th Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 am

Hexameron wrote:I noticed you have Missa Solemnis on your list.

This is the best recording you can get by Gardiner.

Also the Mass in C.

Gardiner is advocated again here for possibly the best recording of the mass.

Oh, and glancing at that previous quote from bignaf I have to say a few things. Bignaf mentions not being a fan of the cello sonatas, which is ok. But I think many would agree that Beethoven's cello sonatas are the best of their kind, just like his piano sonatas rank supreme in the entire literature. And the "don't bother with the songs" statement should be dismissed. Beethoven has the most spellbinding and magnificent songs besides Schubert. The Lieder von Goethe, the Adelaide, and my god the An di ferne Geliebte, all speak for themselves. Do not underestimate them just because the radio never plays them or you can't find them on the countless "Best of Beethoven" CD's out there.

Hex,

I guess I'm way behind on my checking off list.

So yes, I got the Diabelli Variations by Stephen Kovacevic yesterday.

I have also recently gotten the Missa Solemnis, Mass in C and Christus am Olberge, by Carlo Maria Giulini and Helmuth Rilling.

I also have the complete Piano Trios (Beaux Arts Trio).

I have the Violin Concerto (one of my favorite Beethoven pieces) and Romances for Violin.

Essentially, what I have now remaining on my wish list for Beethoven are:

a) Cello sonatas (I do want them)
b) Choral Fantasy

That's pretty much it. Plus, I am missing a few overtures, such as the King Stephen Overture, Consecration of the House and Wellington's Victory, but that's probably far down the wish list compared to the two mentioned above, plus many many many on the wish list for other composers including

Chopin (too many to mention),
Bruckner and Dvorak symphonies,
Schubert symphonies and chamber music,
Stravinsky ballets,
Mozart violin concertos,
Saint-Saens (Organ Symphony, Danse Macabre),
Debussy (too many to mention),
Barber's Adagio for Strings,
Mendelssohn Violin concerto and symphonies.

There's more, that's just what's on the top of my head.

I probably won't bother with the Beethoven songs. Maybe way down in the future.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:49 am

Catmando wrote:Being a newbie to Mahler, so far I've listened to 7 of the 9 Mahler symphonies box set.

So far I'd have to say my favorite is Mahler's 5th. I know that's going to frustrate Shapley, since he believes everyone only enjoys symphonies that are odd numbered. :wink:

:dunce: I thought 5 was an odd number; which is your favorite Mahler symphony?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:54 am

Serenity wrote:
Catmando wrote:Being a newbie to Mahler, so far I've listened to 7 of the 9 Mahler symphonies box set.

:dunce: I thought 5 was an odd number; which is your favorite Mahler symphony?

# 5 is my favorite. Shapley's favorite is # 2, and he just pointed out that everyone doesn't give the even numbered symphonies a chance.

I also like very much #1 #2, #3, and #9. (at least I have one even numbered in there! :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:03 pm

bignaf wrote:didn't this start as a Beethoven suggestion thread? Mahler is all conquering!

When I first started listening to Mahler I was impatient, found his movements to be long and the themes within movements to jump around. When the music went soft, I thought the movement was over. The portions I enjoyed the most, at that time, sounded like Beethoven and Wagner. I've mellowed with time and now have the patience to listen to his music. Frankly, there are many beautiful themes throughout his repertoire.

My life is a little too fast paced with 3 kids to sit down and enjoy music. I've found that the best time to listen to music is during my commute to work and home although the road noise ruins softer music.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:09 pm

Mahler's 2nd is high on my list. I have not recently heard 3, 5, 7 and 8; they're on my wish list. I like the 4th movement of his 4th, especially the last 5 minutes; I find it sublime. I have his 4th and 9th on cassette and they're a little hissy; they need "replacing". I have his 1st, 2nd and 6th on CD. I recently purchased his 6th and I'm still "evaluating" it; you know, deciding what I like and don't like or absolutely love and have to hear over and over again because I can't get enough. I also bought his Song of the Earth, the last song is the best but you have to be in the right mood to have it overwhelm you. I guess that's true of all art.
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes