Napster replacements, or Whered the Music Go?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Napster replacements, or Whered the Music Go?

Postby hornplayer » Sat Feb 24, 2001 10:51 pm

I know this isnt directly related to classical music, but since so many people here use Napster to get music I thought it would be okay...<P>There are replacements for Napster that are like Napster, in that they have a centralized server that can be attacked by the government, and thus will eventually be closed or made into premium services.<P>So instead, you can download a program called LimeWire or BearShare. If you goto download.com you can search for LimeWire, or you can goto <A HREF="http://www.bearshare.com." TARGET=_blank>www.bearshare.com.</A> These two programs search lots of little servers at once, therefore the government can shut it down (cant fight what you cant see). While they arent as good as napster, you can search for anytype of file, and they wont be shut down.<P>Cheers!
Elitism and Supply-Side Economics
hornplayer
4th Chair

Re: Napster replacements, or Whered the Music Go?

Postby hornplayer » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:33 pm

im just trying to keep this at the top so everyone has a chance to see it before it disappears.
hornplayer
4th Chair

Postby hornplayer » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:58 pm

not to be a pain, but like I said the last time, ill float this to the top for a while.
hornplayer
4th Chair

Postby ReedMan » Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:18 am

As long as an artist has approved this form of collecting, where their music is in the public domain and no copyright is intended or implied, then Napster and other music file sharing software serves a valuable purpose - it exposes our works to a potentially large future customer base.<P>As the courts have decided, copyrighted music does not belong in this model. As an artist, I agree that this protects our rights.<P>Until these issues get enforced, artists that depend on royalties for their income ask listeners to respect our creations and use common sense.
ReedMan
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes