I WANT to THROW A CHALLENGE TO EVERYBODY OF THIS FORUM O

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

I WANT to THROW A CHALLENGE TO EVERYBODY OF THIS FORUM O

Postby denison rosario » Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:01 am

My favorite one is for 7. <BR>then it comes for 5, for 3, at 2 and 9 (in this order). <BR>I don't like 1 o'clock a lot, of 4 o'clock and of 6 o'clock. <BR>for 4 it is the one that fewer likes. <BR>And you? FAVOR to ANSWER AS I ANSWERED...
codigo
denison rosario
5th Chair

Re: I WANT to THROW A CHALLENGE TO EVERYBODY OF THIS FORUM O

Postby shostakovich » Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:09 pm

7, 3, 9, 5, 6, 1, 2, 8, 4 in that order for me. It looks like we start and end together.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:42 pm

Hmmm...well, I stirred up real interest a while back at another Beethovem Discussion Forum by asking for a descending list of fav Beethoven symphonies. As I recall, the only one never rated highly was the 8th, despite its phenomenal finale. It is of course impossible to be sure of a preferred order at all times. My fav has always been no.6, mainly because it`s the 1st I ever heard, but I also easily succumb to the charms of no.2. No.9 is difficult to pigeonhole because it uniquely belongs to LvB`s late period, & I`m still unsure of the human voice`s role in a symphony. No.5 is too famous to judge objectively. No.3 may be the greatest symphony ever, as every movement broke new ground. No.1 was utterly daring, while at the same time respectful of Mozart. No.4 is underrated - a necessary deep breath between 3 & 5. My biggest problems are with no.7; the 1st movement is one of the composer`s greatest, but the slow mov. is lacking (comparatively) in emotional depth, while the orchestral surge during the scherzo seems too exaggerated. The finale is almost subversive in its suicidal race to the finish!<P>My descending order may change tomorrow, but for today, I go:<P>6, 2, 3, 9, 7, 5, 8, 4, 1.
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby BenG » Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:34 pm

3, 2, 9, 6, 5, 7, 8, 4, 1<P>The Second is very under-rated. I just can't get enough of it. The 5th would probably rank higher if it hadn't become a cliché. The Eroica symphony is best when the first movement is played fast. I have several versions where the conductor insists on keeping the horses cantering instead of galloping. The ninth contains the queen of the adagios and the best ending of any of his symphonies. (The 5th a close second). The pastoral symphony sounds better IF one doesn't think of that awful Disney Fantasia sequence. I almost left out 7. It used to rank higher, but I have grown more ambivalent about it--I agree with a poster above..it is uneven. His piano concertos are easier to rank:<P>5, 3, 4, 1, 2<p>[This message has been edited by BenG (edited 02-27-2001).]
BenG
4th Chair

Postby denison rosario » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:59 pm

shortly I will publish the final result!!! <BR>Thanks the collaborations! I will make new researches of this level
codigo
denison rosario
5th Chair

Postby denison rosario » Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:07 am

As brief conclusion of our research on symphonies of Beethoven, we reached the conclusion that most likes Eroica a lot and it values the Ninth Symphony in fragments; the surprise went the simultaneous adoration to 2a Symphony; The 5a Symphony to be placed as a medium symphony for Everybody. <BR>Does it seem that everybody agrees that at 1,4 and 8 the best ones are not, but did you already notice that the Minuet (track 3) of 8 it is the best than the master wrote? <BR>Did they already see the intimacy of 4a and the classic delicacy of the 1a Symphony? <BR>We will listen to more Beethoven!!! <BR>What such we make the largest writers' of symphonies votes? <BR>Tchaikovsky: 6,4,5,2,3,1 <BR>Bruckner: 9,4,7,5,8,6,2,1,3 <BR>Brahms: 1,4,3,2 <BR>Beethoven: 7,3,5,9,2,1,8,6,4 <BR>Mahler: 2,6,8,4,5,3,9,10,7,1 <BR>Schubert: 8,9,5,6,7,4,3,2,1 <P>
codigo
denison rosario
5th Chair

Return to Musical Notes