Original event leading to interest in classical music ?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Original event leading to interest in classical music ?

Postby shostakovich » Sun Jan 28, 2001 2:02 am

Thanks, Classilady, for a great idea ---- earphones. I have a grand daughter to try that on.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby keokime » Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:59 pm

It was when I went to a concert for class. they played Barber's Adagio for strings, and beethoven's Emporer concerto. Needless to say, they had a lasting, massive impact on me, and I have been a slave to the music ever since.
keokime
5th Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:22 pm

Barber's Adagio For Strings, eh ?<P>Must not have been in the Carolinas, where it is not well liked. (I still need to know how to portray a tongue in cheek)<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:38 pm

Hi Tim. Is it a regional dislike? Can you tell us why? Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:40 pm

Hi Tim. Is it a regional dislike? Can you tell us why? Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:33 am

Reading over the thread, I was instantly transported back to a point in time when Bugs Bunny was trying to cope with an Italian baritone singing Rossini... oh, memories. Would that the ol' WB bring back some of that magic. I mean, who needs more Buffy or Dawson's Creek (or maybe I'm thinking of Gilmore Girls?)? <P>Speaking of Fantasia 2000 (like a month ago), I have to say I was real disappointed with it. Maybe it was better watching on IMAX, but on the the small screen, the animation was pretty poor to my eyes. Maybe they were going for a 'classic' animation style or something... Music was good though, if common.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:55 pm

Shos:<P>Don't know if you recall, but there was another thread (Topic: Samuel Barber) in which a person from South Carolina (Carolina Classics Fan) posted his dislike for the Barber Adagio, and I (in NC) followed up with a comment. Someone else followed that with a comment about it being a Carolina thing. And finally there were some items in the thread about death, loss, tragedy, and how they help one to appreciate the piece more.<P>I was jokingly referring to that thread.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by treebeau (edited 02-08-2001).]
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:30 pm

Thanks, Tim, for the reminder. It's all clear to me now. Good talking with you. Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BenG » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:23 pm

I remember when I was in my teens, I came across some Tchaikovsky on the radio and falling in love with it. I didn't know exactly how, but I 'knew' the music like an old friend. Turns out that when we were very little kids my mom had a record player and a few classical records. The record player disappeared, but my love of the music had been instilled. I remember listening to a cassette tape of Beethoven's Emporer Concerto No. 5 by Otto Klemperer and Daniel Barenboiem.(sp?) I listened to it over and over and over and over and over endlessly. I particularly liked Tchaikovsky's Francesca Da Rimini. I liked all those great works of Romanticism...including Liszt, Dvorak and Chopin. I remember how difficult it was for me to understand Brahm's music at first. His music seemed very refined, enigmatic and restrained to me. I bought his first symphony and couldn't 'get it' at first. But since I was determined to get my money's worth, I stuck wth it. Eventually I 'got' it and bought all his major works. When I was in college I came back home one day to find my mom had bought herself a rickety old piano. I was shocked to see that she could play Strauss waltzes and Franz Liszt without too much effort. She had played when she was younger but never told us about it. I have her to thank for my interest in classical music. --Ben
BenG
4th Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes