What's wrong?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

What's wrong?

Postby Brahmsian » Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:29 pm

I would personally like to know, what is wrong with having a conservative view of music and society as a whole. No one, I mean no one has shown me anything better then the 3'B's and other conservative favorites.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Re: What's wrong?

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:47 pm

Brahmsian, there IS nothing wrong with your view. Who is saying that there is?
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:58 pm

BenG seems to think that when I get wrapped up in conservative viewpoints I miss out on "fun."
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby hornplayer » Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:08 pm

Conservative is fine by me! PS...how much of a student are you?<p>[This message has been edited by hornplayer (edited 03-05-2001).]
Elitism and Supply-Side Economics
hornplayer
4th Chair

Postby keokime » Mon Mar 05, 2001 10:31 pm

dont let other people dictate what you listen to. each person's opinion is his own, and opinions should not be argued over. they will forever remain different. dont listen to them. enjoy your favorites, and you will be the happier person
keokime
5th Chair

Postby BenG » Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:52 am

I'm not trying to insult anyone's opinions here. I'm only trying to express my enthusiasm for great music (like the Rite of Spring, and yes, it is indeed great) in the hopes of sparking interest and conversation among others on these boards. <P>Yes, Sticking to the three B's will provide you with plenty of great music for years. It did for me. Eventually however, you may find that your tastes have expanded to take in more composers. Limiting yourself to only the three B's is NOT a sign of conservativism or virtue. I don't know what it is...maybe just stubborn loyalty. That's fine. But maybe someday when you're ready to listen to other composers, do yourself a favor and just give them chance. Have an open mind. Sure, you might hate what you hear, but what if you LOVE it? What if you like Bartok? You could have FOUR Bs!!!<P>I recently bought several Khachaturian CDs. I love his sound. One of my favorites is his Symphony No. 2. Upon first listen I liked it but I didn't understand it completely. After listening to it a few times I realized that this music was THE most powerful stuff I've ever heard. More powerful than Beethoven. I'm not kidding. This symphony is definitely underplayed. I think it might be the best symphony in the 20th Century. Go ahead and listen to it some day when you're ready. You might discover that you can be still be a conservative and like something written by a Communist. Image<P>-ben
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:27 pm

It is not that I haven't listened to Stravinksy, Bartok, ETC. I just feel they don't come close to parreleling musically the 3'Bs, Mozart, and a few others.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:29 pm

Hornplayer, clarify your question please.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby hornplayer » Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:12 pm

Sorry...I just meant if youre in HS, college, etc...like Ive said, Im a junior in HS.
Elitism and Supply-Side Economics
hornplayer
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:40 pm

Stay Gold Ponyboy......never give up, never surrender....
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Tue Mar 06, 2001 5:59 pm

i am 17 years old and in High school hornplayer. A question for BenG: When does being tolerent of everything even when you know it is wrong cross the line into being wrong yourself? I will explain alot in a later post.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby provistbrahms » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brahmsian:<BR><B>I would personally like to know, what is wrong with having a conservative view of music and society as a whole. No one, I mean no one has shown me anything better then the 3'B's and other conservative favorites.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I myself have a conservative point of view thanks to a special friend. I agree fully with you because who has any evidence? I as well have been show the three B's and nothing has been able to come close to them.
provistbrahms
4th Chair

Postby BenG » Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:03 pm

Hey Brahmsian,<P>I just read one of your posts on another thread where you say you will promote the three 'B's to others (a laudable ambition). You said more people would appreciate the beauty and awesome emotional reservoir of classical music if only they LISTENED and gave it a CHANCE. That's exactly my point when I suggest you listen to various other composers. There's nothing wrong with opening up your classical music horizons. Being receptive doesn't mean you'll automatically be turned into a 'liberal'. You'll still be you. My point is this: there is a LOT more great music out there for you to enjoy if you give it a chance. And if you like other composers it will in no way sully or degrade the works or the three 'B's nor your love for them. <P>Regards,<P>Ben<BR>
BenG
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:17 pm

You said more people would appreciate the beauty and awesome emotional reservoir of classical music if only they LISTENED and gave it a CHANCE. That's exactly my point when I suggest you listen to various other composers. There's nothing wrong with opening up your classical music horizons. <P><BR>Bravo, BenG, bravo!<BR>
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Wed Mar 07, 2001 10:11 pm

I have listened to the Rite of Spring, R. Strauss, Berlioz, a ton of Russians and even own the Star Wars soundtracks. While these are better then modern pop music, they do not measure up to the 3'Bs+Mozart. I do listen to others and see the value many of them have. In the modern world, I would rather have kids listening to Prokofiev then Korn or N'Sync.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:41 pm

I once read an article entitled "Hero Worship as a Form of Cheating". It was about conductors. Some Toscanini fans were sure that his renditions were best. Koussevitzky fans likewise. You can see how far back this article came out. The gist of it was when you get to know and admire someone's work there is a tendency to get lazy and assume that person's is the best without question. It prevents exploration, but it's comfortable. <P>Jason, I commend you. You are probably least affected by this condition. (Of course that's just based on my readings so far. There may be many. You are the most outspoken on it.) Good condition, bad condition? I don't even want to get into that. I just wanted to point out that the tendency exists.<P>As for me, I'm definitely a victim regarding musical genres. I'm sure that classical is better than anything else that was, is or will be. It certainly has limited my own exploration. <BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby provistbrahms » Sun Mar 11, 2001 3:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BenG:<BR><B>Hey Brahmsian,<P>I just read one of your posts on another thread where you say you will promote the three 'B's to others (a laudable ambition). You said more people would appreciate the beauty and awesome emotional reservoir of classical music if only they LISTENED and gave it a CHANCE. That's exactly my point when I suggest you listen to various other composers. There's nothing wrong with opening up your classical music horizons. Being receptive doesn't mean you'll automatically be turned into a 'liberal'. You'll still be you. My point is this: there is a LOT more great music out there for you to enjoy if you give it a chance. And if you like other composers it will in no way sully or degrade the works or the three 'B's nor your love for them. <P>Regards,<P>Ben</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In response I agree with you to an extent about there being other good types of music. Like I have said in other posts the line must be drawn at some point. Yes there are other good types of music. But if you look at it in terms of levels of decline you will understand where Brahmsian is coming from!<BR>
provistbrahms
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes