The Definitive Beethoven Symphonies

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Definitive Beethoven Symphonies

Postby BenF » Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:56 pm

I know this is an open ended one and that there is no right answer, but ...<P>If you were to reccomend the "definitive" collection of Beethoven's 9 symphanies, which recording (orchestra and conductor) would it be?<P>I am generally an admirer of Sir George Solti (his Tchaikovsky recordings with the Chicago Philarmonic are breathtaking), but I don't care for his Beethoven 6th - it seems too rushed (probably because I was used to a much slower recording by the Stockholm Philarmonic). So, yes, I know preferances are somewhat relative.<P>But, having said that, any suggestions or preferances?<P>--- Ben<BR><p>[This message has been edited by BenF (edited 03-08-2001).]
=======================<BR>--- Ben
BenF
Section Player

Re: The Definitive Beethoven Symphonies

Postby keokime » Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:13 pm

wow, i cant believe i have the same one as you. the cover of the cd just has his face, right? solti's? if so, i dont think it is rushed at all, because ive heard a few different versions of the 6th, and one of them was supersonic speed. solti put a great temp on it. just my opinion.
keokime
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:50 pm

Hey Ben try the collection on Sony with the New York Philharmonic and Bernstein conducting. I enjoy Bernsteins approach but others have said he takes the works to exact and does not allow for much movement. Decide for yourself. I dig it!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:49 pm

Hi Ben. "Definitive recording" may be a myth. "Definitive collection" may be an impossibility. You might be interested in a post I made earlier today under "What's Wrong". It was inspired by an article that referred to conductor preferences.<BR>As for B6 by S&CO, I really don't cotton to it either, but I found it not animated enough. Preferences are SO individual.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicole Marie:<BR><B>Hey Ben try the collection on Sony with the New York Philharmonic and Bernstein conducting. I enjoy Bernsteins approach but others have said he takes the works to exact and does not allow for much movement. Decide for yourself. I dig it!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm with you a hundred per cent on this, Nicole Marie. Since I first heard Bernstein's Seventh with the NYPO about 25 years ago, his recordings have been my favourite. His complete set of the Beethoven Symphonies had the misfortune to come out at the same time as Karajan's, who was flavour of the decade at the time, but I think he beats Herbie hands down on all counts. The original vinyl pressings of Bernstein's recordings were poor enough, whereas Karajan's DGG recordings were immaculate. But all this has changed now with CD and Sony have done a great job on Bernstein.<P>Michael<BR> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 03-08-2001).]
Michael
4th Chair

Postby ReedMan » Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:18 pm

I ran across a Beethoven/Bernstein set (symphonies 1-4,7 and some overtures) at a used CD store. It was from the Musical Heritage Society label and was performed by the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. Recorded in 1981, which sounds newer than what Nicole Marie recommends. Any opinions on this set ?<p>[This message has been edited by ReedMan (edited 03-09-2001).]
ReedMan
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keokime:<BR><B>wow, i cant believe i have the same one as you. the cover of the cd just has his face, right? solti's? if so, i dont think it is rushed at all, because ive heard a few different versions of the 6th, and one of them was supersonic speed. solti put a great temp on it. just my opinion.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think the most often mis-paced symphonic movement in all Beethoven is the opening allegro ma non troppo of the 6th. Most conductors seem to take it (without the exposition repeat, grrr...) as an andante; at this speed, the work ends up sounding like a triple slow movement symphony!
Peter
3rd Chair

Return to Musical Notes