Scores

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Scores

Postby Brahmsian » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:18 pm

Just a thought. How many of you own the scores to the music that we talk about. I myself own the scores to the Brahms 4, Beethoven 3,5-9, Mozart's Requiem and symphonies 40-41, Bach's Brandenburgs, Brahms German Requiem, Tchaicovsky's 4-6, and Holst's planets. These scores help me immensly about understanding a composer and learning his tendencies. I have memorized all the notes to Brahms 1st, 1st movement for every part and as increased listening pleasure tenfold! If you don't yet own scores and can read music, I highly recomend purchasing some.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Re: Scores

Postby Mike Michaels » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:49 pm

Just a question. How often do you score with your stuffy, elitist attitude?
Mike Michaels

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:54 pm

Hey Mike! Wow! Chill. I own tons of scores and I am the last person in the world to be stuffy. (I'm covered in tattoos for the love of God) Just because some own sheet music does not make them up tight.<P>Brahmsian-<P>I own to much music! Given that I collect all the scores I've perfomed, I have bookselves! And your right, scores do give you great insight into a composer and their thoughs. Plus when you find out what they were going through at that period in their life you can find out a lot about them as a person. Rockin'!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby provistbrahms » Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brahmsian:<BR><B>Just a thought. How many of you own the scores to the music that we talk about. I myself own the scores to the Brahms 4, Beethoven 3,5-9, Mozart's Requiem and symphonies 40-41, Bach's Brandenburgs, Brahms German Requiem, Tchaicovsky's 4-6, and Holst's planets. These scores help me immensly about understanding a composer and learning his tendencies. I have memorized all the notes to Brahms 1st, 1st movement for every part and as increased listening pleasure tenfold! If you don't yet own scores and can read music, I highly recomend purchasing some.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree with you on that one Brahmsian. It does help with understanding the composer. <P>
provistbrahms
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Michaels:<BR><B>Just a question. How often do you score with your stuffy, elitist attitude?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just a question. How often do you score with your rude, judgemental, confrontational attitude?
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Joe Cassara » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:30 pm

Hey! It's uncharacteristic of me to pluck posts from the BBS, and I don't want to have to resort to active moderation! So, come on -- cut out the personal jabs.<P>Edgy is ok, but downright insults aren't. ;-)<P>Chill out, loosen up, and have a good time.<P>Joe Cassara<BR>Your Friendly Sysop
Joe Cassara
5th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:36 pm

Joe, if you can get your hands on any kind of morphine or 'lude, mail 'em out to us. We need them bad.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Fri Mar 16, 2001 4:11 pm

shoot, I just want a black and tan and a good laugh....I don't dare allude to the other thing that would go good right now (sam fox) DOOOOO!<P>We reap what we so......so bring on the beer.<P>Pax, brothas<P><BR>CCC,G,III<BR>In hoc signo vinces
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise!
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:01 pm

HEY! GOODNESS GRACIOUS, there's a rumble in here! Yeesh, my modem is too slow! I have not been opening up all these threads, and now LOOK! (emotico w/ rollies)<P>I only have one pertinent question. <P>It's been bugging me for a few weeks now. <P><BR>Have you guys ever noticed that Brahms looks quite alot like Father Christmas, aka Santa Claus? <P>Truly, I'd like your opinion on this. <P><BR>from the land of <BR>Mt. St. Helens~
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Sat Mar 17, 2001 2:05 am

Yeah, Brahms in his later years looked like Sousa or Santa. In his earlier days, though, he was clean shaven and resembled Schumann a bit.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:16 am

I knew you would, Les, I just knew you would (I'm still laughing...........).
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby BenG » Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:36 pm

Brahms' mask-like beard is symbolic. He wanted to hide his personal feelings and emotions from his friends and the public. It was a statement that he had given up hopes of marrying (for complex reasons I won't go into here) and resigned himself to life-long bachelorhood.<P>His only real outlet in later life was his music, friends and letter writing. He burned his private correspondence just before he died, however. He wanted to control what posterity thought of him. These lost letters are a tragedy for historians.<P>Brahms WAS Santa Claus for a lot of indigent children in Vienna. He loved to sit on park benches and give away candy to children. Nowadays this behaviour would be suspect, but Brahms genuinely liked kids and may have harbored regret that he had none of his own.
BenG
4th Chair

Postby BenG » Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:42 pm

Brahmsian, I own the scores of Tchaikovsky's last three symphonies and his violin concerto, Brahms Violin Concerto, Liszt's two piano concertos, The Planets, the Eroica Symphony, Symphony Fantastique, Brahms' symphony No. 1 and all five of Beethoven's piano concertos. And I can barely read music! <P>I have some comments about your Brahms German Requiem posting, but I have no time now--<P>Later,<P>BenG
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:26 am

Some personal background on why Brahms probably never married:<P>He was obsessed with his mother, crying out over her grave (aged 32), "I no longer have a mother! I must marry!" He loved respectable women from a distance, but only slept with prostitutes, to whom he was always courteous. Ultimately, he valued bachelorhood too much - he had at least seven major, unconsummated relationships, but always bolted before the wedding vows. He probably did want to marry the strong mother figure (she had 7 children) of Clara Schumann, but an affair was out of the question since she was married to his mentally-institutionalised good friend, Robert. After Robert died, the passion between Brahms & Clara cooled, but they remained good friends, & Brahms seldom published his music without her approval.
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby BenG » Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:53 pm

Peter, <P>Brahms also played piano at houses of ill-repute when he was still a boy in order to help support the family. The experiences he had in those places undoubtedly helped to warp his view of women. He exalted the women he loved and put them on pedestals. He was reluctant to befoul them with base lust which may be why he bolted before marriage. On the other hand, reports from some of the prostitutes in Vienna said he always treated them kindly and was a thoughtful patron and generous with his money.<P>Brahms' uneven relationship with his dad got better later on...they even went on some hikes together (Brahms liked to climb mountains believe it or not). His dad had played cello (I think) for local orchestras and bands. Brahms may have inherited some talent from him. He also inherited his dad's liver disease which ended up killing them both.<P>P.S. Brahms wrote a very touching song meant for one of the women he jilted (Agathe von Siebold). He really did love the girl and the song is very touching. "Muss es Eine Trennung Geben" or "Must We Then Once More be Parted."<BR><p>[This message has been edited by BenG (edited 03-18-2001).]
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Sun Mar 18, 2001 3:54 pm

I heard or read somewhere that Brahms was mountain climbing in Italy somewhere, and decided to take a short-cut down the side of a shale dropoff. Supposedly some shepherd rescued him and guided him down!
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:18 pm

I've enjoyed the posts on Brahms and Wagner, and Brahms with women. (Brahms and mountains, too) Here's one from The Little Book of Musical Anecdotes about Brahms and Bruckner. One day in 1889, Brahms was dining with friends at his favorite Viennese restaurant, The Red Hedgehog. On that day, Bruckner entered and was seated at the same table. After a chill in the conversation, the menu was brought. "Ah", said Brahms, "dumplings with smoked meat today. That's my favorite dish." "I say, Dr Brahms", Bruckner grinned, "Dumplings with smoked meat! THAT'S where we two agree!" And peace reigned at the table.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Mon Mar 19, 2001 6:12 pm

Another Brahms incident you might want to hear. On one occasion, he was conducting the Vienna Choral Society. They were taking a passage of Haydn's far to slowly. Brahms simply asked them if that was the way the had sung it under Haydn.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Postby BenG » Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:50 pm

Good one, Brahmsian. One of my favorite Brahms anecdotes:<P>At a party, a rich matron fawned over Brahms and showered him with accolades for his lyrical abilities. "How do you write such beautiful adagios," she asked. "My publisher orders them that way," was his reply.<BR>
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Brahmsian » Mon Mar 19, 2001 9:11 pm

How about another one! He once shocked an old group of Viennese ladies. He was in the parlor talking to a group of them and the subject turned to stockings. Brahms raised his pantleg saying "See how elegant my stockings are." only to reveal a bare ankle.
Brahmsian
4th Chair

Next

Return to Musical Notes