Beethoven and an Electric Guitar

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Beethoven and an Electric Guitar

Postby EJA_2 » Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:21 pm

Tell me, Leslie, what's you're particular interest in Jazz? Which is to say, what type of Jazz is your cup-o-tea? <P> -- EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:10 pm

EJA, In order to spare the good ppl of this forum my incessant blabbing about jazz, let me just reiterate once more that the whole sprectrum of music, straight across the board, is very important to me as a player, listener, dancer(on a horse), and yes, even a writer. <P>I respect the ol timers like Ellington and Louie Armstrong, but I gotta tell ya, I am a child of the fusion era, and the lines become so blurred between all the genres in most music I listen to, sometimes I can't even tell them all apart. <P>As a general rule, I gravitate towards axemen. That's why I keep appearing in your thread. Image<P>Hornplayer, I'm so glad yer back. ~
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:51 pm

Over the past little while, I have been studying music theory on my own time. I've always taken a minor interest in it, but now it is a full-fledged obsession of sorts. Absolutely satisfying. It's like learning how to write in a second language. Anyway, over the course of (re)learning chord progressions, chord inversions, and figuring out key signatures without anything more than a few bars of melody, I discovered how intense and how fascinating playing piano jazz really is. It isn't just playing chords, but the actual art and science of on-the-spot improv. Forgive me, Leslie, if I mess up here on the theory, but with only 12 (?) basic chords an entire suite or fugue of sorts is created by each member of the jazz group in turn. That is remarkable, to say the least. <P>I have never really enjoyed jazz, but maybe that's because I never understood what was going on in the first place. I like Gershwin, though, and he has been described as symphonic jazz. Once I've got a decent grounding in how jazz is created, I will give it another shot and see. No matter how I will end up feeling about jazz, I won't consider it an 'inferior' music ( I haven't yet). Given the requirements to perform it, jazz artists are certainly true musicians./
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Leslie:<BR>[B]<BR>As a general rule, I gravitate towards axemen. That's why I keep appearing in your thread.B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And here I was trying to bury the hatchet.<P>Tell me about this dancing on a horse. I've got a dappled silver Thorougbred gelding, and he does a fair amount of dancing, but I generally take exception to him doing it when I'm aboard. . . Are you doing something like they do in the circus? <BR> -- EJA<P>
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:26 am

I'm sitting here tickling the keys this AM extolling over the virtues, life and times of a man from Vienna, whose biography was sent to me by some ol jolly writer friends in the UK, hot off the press. <P>EJA, If you would please download the song "A REMARK YOU MADE" by Weather Report, no axes, no rock n roll, mind ye, just the real deal from the fusion school, written by Joe Zawinul, from Vienna, the art capitol of the world. <P>Dancing horses? Look in the same city for the heart and soul of the classical tradition, centuries old, past down by word of mouth, devoted to precision excellence in military formation riding, and the magnificent haute ecole airs above the ground, accompanied by strains of Chopin, Mozart, Strauss, and other classical composers, capturing this refined era of the Austrian Hapsburgs. <P>The Spanish Riding School of Vienna gets the name from baroque bloodstock imported from the Iberian peninsula.<P> Image<P>
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Leslie:<BR><B>The Spanish Riding School of Vienna gets the name from baroque bloodstock imported from the Iberian peninsula.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was aware of them, but I had a mental block this morning trying to remember the name. What I was wondering is if you are part of a similar group? <P> -- EJA<P><BR>
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:53 am

Ha! I wish! No, but that is my craft. <P>I make horses dance, for a living. How about sending me yours? Image
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Leslie:<BR><B><P>EJA, If you would please download the song "A REMARK YOU MADE" by Weather Report, no axes, no rock n roll, mind ye, just the real deal from the fusion school, written by Joe Zawinul, from Vienna, the art capitol of the world. <BR> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ok, I found it, not the whole thing, but a preview. Nice. <P>BTW, I'm apparently not familiar with the sense in which you use the term "axemen." Could you please elucidate? <P>Thanks,<P> -- EJA<p>[This message has been edited by EJA (edited 03-22-2001).]
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:45 pm

Guitarists Image
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby Sir Stewart » Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Leslie:<BR><B>Guitarists Image</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Then drummers would be ... stickmen?<P>Sir Stew<P>
Sir Stewart
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:38 pm

Hey thanks for the info. I had a suspicion, but I wanted to be sure. <P>As for my horse, I have a call into FedEx and UPS, but I don't think they'll send him. I'll check with my stock broker to see if he's got a truck going that way on a regular basis. I suspect Stilts will dance to the beat of his own drummer in any case. He's a former race horse. He only has one routine and that's to open his throttle flat out and run through all the gears he's got. <P>Seriously though, can you really get a horse to understand music and dance to it, or does the rider do most of the cerebral stuff? <P> -- EJA<p>[This message has been edited by EJA (edited 03-23-2001).]
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby ~Leslie » Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:58 am

Calling all national equine shippers, I'm talking about horses in a music/Beethoven/axe thread. Ye Gods! This is sure strange. Serendipity, as a matter of fact. Synchronicity. <P>EJA, they do hear music, and yes once they are trained to do dressage to music, they really know what's goin on. <P>Thoroughbred race horses CAN be reschooled to do dressage and jump well, provided:<BR>they are sound,<BR>with a leg at each corner,<BR>with a new career and <BR>a new lease on life.<BR> And that's<BR> a good thing.<P>Training them is the same philosophy <BR>as teaching children to do gymnastics, a<BR>step by step process with lots of quiet patience, a good seat, <BR>and <BR>repetition.~<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EJA:<BR><B>Hey thanks for the info. I had a suspicion, but I wanted to be sure. <P>As for my horse, I have a call into FedEx and UPS, but I don't think they'll send him. I'll check with my stock broker to see if he's got a truck going that way on a regular basis. I suspect Stilts will dance to the beat of his own drummer in any case. He's a former race horse. He only has one routine and that's to open his throttle flat out and run through all the gears he's got. <P>Seriously though, can you really get a horse to understand music and dance to it, or does the rider do most of the cerebral stuff? <P> -- EJA<P>[This message has been edited by EJA (edited 03-23-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Sat Mar 24, 2001 9:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir Stewart:<BR><B> Then drummers would be ... stickmen?<BR>Sir Stew<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Almost, Sir Stew, it's sticksmen!
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Sat Mar 24, 2001 10:32 pm

I dropped this earlier, but perhaps it was too obscure:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>I'll check with my stock broker to see if he's got a truck going that way on a regular basis. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Rather than go to the livestock yard ourselves we just have our neighbor, a rancher who goes to every livestock auction, haul our stock back and forth and do the bargaining for us. For a joke we always introduce him to people as our stock broker. It's a visual thing: the tattered hat and worn jeans; antiquated boots thrust into rubber overshoes; rugged sun- and wind-cured face; immense, rough hands; and lean, sinewy 75+-year old body. (Peter, did I punctuate that correctly?) It really throws people for a loop. . .<P> -- EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Sat Mar 24, 2001 10:49 pm

Hey Leslie, check this out: <A HREF="http://www.slinkyhorsewear.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.slinkyhorsewear.com/</A> <P> -- EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 25, 2001 6:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EJA:<BR><B> It's a visual thing: the tattered hat and worn jeans; antiquated boots thrust into rubber overshoes; rugged sun- and wind-cured face; immense, rough hands; and lean, sinewy 75+-year old body. (Peter, did I punctuate that correctly?) <BR> -- EJA</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not quite, but your punctuation IS better than your poetry. Image
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Leslie:<BR><B>No, but naming kids MoonUnit and Dweezil Zappa does.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When the Zappas' third child was on the way, Frank was threatening: "If it's a boy, we're gonna call it Clint Eastwood; if it's a girl, we're gonna call it Burt Reynolds!".
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter:<BR><B> Not quite, but your punctuation IS better than your poetry. Image</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That isn't saying much for my punctuation. Hey, it was a long, boring Saturday afternoon. I was sitting around waiting for a RAID array to initialize and a disk image to write. I got a little loopy I guess. Sorry. In the future I'll try to spare you. Image<P>
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby Lynn » Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:33 pm

Hello all; I just want to say that I am going to start a new Beethoven message board at PianoTonight.com. You can start one of your choice, too... just go there. The rest of the site is awesome, too! <P>There's Concert listings, mp3s, and everything!<P>And I'm not working for them or anything- I've just been emailing the student who started it, and he is really nice and wants to get a classical community together. <P>see ya,<BR>Lynn
Lynn
Section Player

Previous

Return to Musical Notes