More Musical Challenges

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

More Musical Challenges

Postby shostakovich » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:59 pm

This man is not considered first rank among his fellow composers, but he's plenty good enough. I thought of him because of a recent topic on color. He wrote a work about red, blue, purple, and green. Three fairly popular (in their time) ballets could have as alternate titles: 1) Man 1 Nothing, 2) Complex Board Game, and 3) Present Day Passion Play. His best known film score was for an early futuristic movie. His name is a good state to be in.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Re: More Musical Challenges

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:45 am

I think I've found it. This guy shares a name with someone who writes hymns. Am I right?
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:45 am

I suspect that would be Aruthur Bliss. He composed musical scores for HG Wells Theatrical Interps. Truly a master.<P><BR>Speaking of Science Fiction:<P>"I've been waiting for you, Shos. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master." <BR>
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise!
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:59 am

Maz, you're supposed to only give hints, so that others have time to respond!<P>Shos, the "state" was what tipped it off for me.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:08 am

Don't act so surprised your highness Audiogirl, you weren't on any mercy mission this time. Several transmissions were beamed to this bulletin board by riddle spies. I want to know what happened to the hints they sent you.<P>You are part of the Riddle Alliance and a traitor...Take her away!<P>CCC,G,III<BR>In hoc singo vinces<P><BR>oh....sorry, so I am not supposed to answer? gotchya.<P>I find your lack of faith disturbing.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by The Great Mazinga (edited 03-22-2001).]
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:16 am

Governor Maz, I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.<P>Don't you think it's time we jettisoned this pod, even though no life forms were aboard?<P>I am analyzing your plans, and I think I've found your weakness.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:25 am

Honestly guys. . . <P>Get a life and dispense with this fantasy nonsense. Image<P> -- EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:30 am

Impressive...most impressive.<P>(Move the ship out of the asteroid field so that we can send a clear transmission.)<P>Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly.<P>You have learned much, young one. Your destiny lies with me, Audiogirl. Beethoven knew this to be true.<P>Hints do not concern me, Audiogirl. I want<BR>those answer and not excuses.<P>This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Bliss. It will soon see the end of the Riddle Alliance.<P>All to easy.<BR>
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:32 am

God, no fun around here anymore.<P>EJA, You have controlled your fear...<BR>now release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy my postings.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by The Great Mazinga (edited 03-22-2001).]
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:51 am

I tried, EJA.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:52 am

ok, sorry...lets go back to the other mode..perhaps some handwringing would be more acceptable? Seems to be a big mover.<P><p>[This message has been edited by The Great Mazinga (edited 03-22-2001).]
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:23 pm

Maz, oh, how to rein you in without breaking your spirit...........
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:48 pm

Not to worry, my spirit is far from broken. Seems odd that people would always want to keep things very serious or want to tell people to stop posting something that is just intended to make a smile. Trust me I have suffered many a post around here, but let it roll off my back for the most part if I don't get it or not wish to partake.<P>If you guys know a classical site that is a little more relaxed...I would be happy to write there....<P>I tend to think that if people do not spice it up, then the board would suffer from stagnation....how many times can you read dry posts about a requiem...I can entertain that for about 1/2 a day.....before boredom overtakes. One trick ponies, just keep doing that same one trick.<p>[This message has been edited by The Great Mazinga (edited 03-22-2001).]
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:07 pm

Don't worry, man. I'm on your planet.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:17 pm

Oh, don't take it so hard. I was only poking fun at you. Since I am utterly in the dark when it comes to Sci-Fi, I must return fire in some dimension that I am familiar with. I didn't want to ruin your fun, nor did I wish to be snooty or stuffy. I. <P>Carry on, Captain.<P> -- EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:35 pm

Don't worry guys I am not freakin....I don't know about you guys, but I seem to find myself astride two worlds.<P>I ABSOLULTELY LOVE music, art, literature, culture, wine, history...etc. It is what I love and live for, but I also LOVE, racing, silly movies, laughing at almost anything, hanging out at bars, dancing to ABBA, the 3 stooges, football tailgates, and Beer...stuff like that...I am always trying to fit in both camps...because both are me...that's all.<P>Somtimes, never the two shall meet.<P>Any fans of Oscar Levant out there???<P>
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:37 pm

If you're not a sci-fi fan, then it's possible you've missed out on some great classical-sounding film scores!<P>I anxiously await the next mystery composer.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby BenG » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:45 pm

Shos,<P>I'm usually clueless when it comes figuring out these clues...but I'm wondering if the early future movie was "Metropolis...?"<BR>If I can figure out the movie I could look it up on the internet and cheat, heh heh.<P>P.S. I like any movie that's chalk full of bad puns (like 'Spaceballs') and I don't mind a little irreverent/irrelevant rant 'n' jest here 'n' there...just so long as it's not overdone and doesn't interfere with my pursuit of dry requiem chat Image<P>
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Darth Mazinga » Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:57 pm

O Great Mazinga:<P>Master, at last we will reveal ourselves to the orchestra. At last we will have our revenge.<P><BR>Always two there are....no more...no less. A master and an apprentice.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Darth Mazinga (edited 03-22-2001).]
Darth Mazinga
Section Player

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:40 pm

I think the movie Shos was referring to was "The Shape of Things to Come". And since Bliss has already been mentioned, he wrote his "Colour Symphony" in 1922 and he stated that when composing, he always experienced a colour sensation, and that was especially vivid in his mind when writing the symphony, which has movements called "Purple" "Red" "Blue" and "Green. There was some discussion about this colour association in a recent topic.<P>Michael
Michael
4th Chair

Next

Return to Musical Notes