anyone know?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

anyone know?

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:34 am

Okay, I heard a classical piece the other day on TV. When I hear the beginning, I immediately think of a castle in Transylvania, a stormy night, and some madman in a cape playing on a pipe organ. I think this is because it's frequently used in conjunction with this type of story. Can anyone tell me what this might be? I can tell you that the first few notes descend in a kind of random pattern. It's not PTO....much earlier than that. Help, please.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Re: anyone know?

Postby ~Leslie » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:55 am

Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor???
~Leslie
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:55 am

Thanks, Leslie. I'll check it out.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:17 pm

bingo!
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Luegwig » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:52 pm

The notes hardly descend in a RANDOM manner! Image This was one of the pieces that first turned me onto classical (okay, baroque) music. Wonderful stuff! The other was Beethoven's Emperor Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat).<P>Glad you found it. That's what I was going to guess too!<p>[This message has been edited by Luegwig (edited 03-27-2001).]
Bill<BR><A HREF="http://www.e-flat.com" TARGET=_blank>www.e-flat.com</A>
Luegwig
4th Chair

Postby BenG » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:03 pm

Luegwig, the Emporer Concerto also got me interested in classical music when I was a teenager. I listened to that work over and over and over and....well, you get the idea. I found it very difficult to get tired of it. Do you have a particular recording/performance that you like best? <P>As for the organ, if you want to hear something wickedly fun that is NOT baroque music, try Khachaturian's Symphony No. 3 ('Simfoniya-Poema'). It features a driving organ solo and it is very intense. Leave it to me to try to work Khachaturian into as many posts as possible, heh heh.<BR> Image
BenG
4th Chair

Postby Luegwig » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:13 pm

Well, I liked Richard Dreyfuss' performance in The Competition. Image<P>I like Alfred Brendel in general, but I think it was one of Rudolf Serkin's performances that really got me going as a 20 year old.<P>How about you? I need a new viewpoint here.
Luegwig
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Mar 27, 2001 8:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luegwig:<BR><B>The notes hardly descend in a RANDOM manner! Image This was one of the pieces that first turned me onto classical (okay, baroque) music. Wonderful stuff! The other was Beethoven's Emperor Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat).<P>Glad you found it. That's what I was going to guess too!<P>[This message has been edited by Luegwig (edited 03-27-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um, that's kinda the only way I knew to describe it. It's a little difficult to put into words when you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it's kind of deliciously wicked, huh?
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Luegwig » Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:06 pm

Audiogirl, I wasn't dissing you. I'm not sure I could have said it better than you did. It truly is a cool piece of music. The fugue in the last half speaks perfection itself. I absolutely love it.
Luegwig
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes