Composer's birthday ovation as opera proves a hit.

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Composer's birthday ovation as opera proves a hit.

Postby lliam » Thu Mar 22, 2001 4:30 pm

Hi,<BR> any of you guys ever heard of the composer written about below.<BR>Lliam.<P>German composer Hans Werner Henze received a 75th birthday ovation at Covent Garden, London last night(03/20/01) at the end of the Royal Opera's production of his first opera, written shortly after the Second World War.<P>The acclaim from a full audience contrasted with reports that the Royal Oprea faced empty seats and catastrophhic ticket sales for the six performances of Boulevard Solitude.<P>Henze appeared at the final curtain with the young stars of his reworking of the story of Manon Lescaut, a beautiful girl, who deserts her lover for an elderly rich man. But her, story ends in despair after she is tricked into shooting her protector by her brother.<P>The Royal production, by Nikolaus Lehnhoff, is reported to have cost £250,000.<P>A Covent Garden spokeswoman said that although advanced ticket sales had been disappointing, they had picked up for the first night and there was great interest in the five further performances.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Composer's birthday ovation as opera proves a hit.

Postby shostakovich » Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:29 am

My only touch with Henze was part of a symphony many years ago. His name went quickly to my s--- list. I'm curious to know who might have had a good experience with Henze's music, and what it was.<P>Welcome back, Lliam. Several people on the boards have wondered what happened to you.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Re: Composer's birthday ovation as opera proves a hit.

Postby lliam » Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:43 am

<BR>Hi Shos,<BR> I havent been away, I have been reading everything that you post, I didn't realise that you had so much knowledge. I have really enjoyed just reading all the postings. I am here, have no fear, I just like to post the occasional tit-bit. Thank you, for helping to make the boards, so interesting. I had a little trouble with the changeover a few weeks ago, but thats all sorted now. <BR>Lliam.<P>
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Return to Musical Notes