Did Tchaikovsky use a chorus in the 1812 Overture?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Did Tchaikovsky use a chorus in the 1812 Overture?

Postby navneeth » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 am

I've only heard two different renditions of the 1812. One of them by the Cincinati Pops/Kunzel, which is often played on B.com (I'm not sure if the one played today was the same...somehow the "cannons" didn't sound the same), while the other is by the NYPO/Bernstien. The latter does not contain any vocals, and I was under the impression that Bernstein wished to differ from tradition until I came across this at Wikipedia...

In the mid-1960s, Igor Buketoff wrote an arrangement of the "1812 Overture" with chorus. The opening segment was sung by voices as a sung chant instead of being played by cellos and violas, the children's chorus was added to the Flute and Cor Anglais, and the full chorus was mixed into the winds—the entire orchestra, in fact—in the closing segment.

So is Bernstein's the more "traditional" performance of the two?

P.S. To those in the US: How many times did you hear the 1812 today?
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:16 am

i managed to avoid it.

I know the beginning is a quote of an Eastern orthdox church thingy. so male and chilkdren choir is fitting. I have one with chorus and one without. the one with chorus has it only in the beginning.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:43 am

For some reason I prefer the version with the vocals. It's probably because I was introduced to the 1812 that way, and also I've heard more of that version than the other.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:03 pm

This is from Dai Bread.

"My understanding is that PIT used folk and church music to represent the Russian people. This being so, it seems to be a reasonable extension of the original to put in voices to sing those parts of the overture, even though PIT didn't write it that way.

I also prefer the vocal version. It seems closer to the composer's portrait of a human struggle."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years ago I happened on the Buketoff version. It was a revelation. It's my favorite version for pacing, balance, and overall interpretation. I found it on a library record, and committed it to tape. Consequently, the sound quality (surface noise) leaves a lot to be desired. Yet, I still play it for the most satisfying performance.

What choral versions do others recommend?
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:53 am

shostakovich wrote:This is from Dai Bread.

It seems closer to the composer's portrait of a human struggle.

That I think is the primary reason why I like that version.

shostakovich wrote:Years ago I happened on the Buketoff version. It was a revelation. It's my favorite version for pacing, balance, and overall interpretation. I found it on a library record, and committed it to tape. Consequently, the sound quality (surface noise) leaves a lot to be desired. Yet, I still play it for the most satisfying performance.
Shos

I wonder if it's available on a CD. *Goes off to search*

EDIT: Here's one.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Return to Musical Notes