30Q #38 - Shapely

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:00 am

I assume you count Sir Malcolm Arnold as a minor leaguer, so that would leave Bruckner.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:15 am

I have a "complete" set of Bruckner symphonies. Symphonies 1-9 conducted by Eugen Jochum.

They do not include the '0' and '00' Symphonies.

This is very misleading. Does this mean Bruckner has 11 Symphonies? If so, why does that EMI box set call it "complete" with only 1-9?

:roll:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:28 am

Louis Spohr was also a composer of nine symphonies, leaving a tenth unfinished.

According to the non-definitive Wikipedia, Bruckner did not count his symphony 0 and 00 (given those numbers after his death), considering both invalid.

If we are to exclude Dvorak because he did not count four of his symphonies, then we have to apply the same rule to Bruckner.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:57 am

shostakovich wrote:How about this theory? Mahler's "Symphony #8" is not really a symphony. DLVDE is also not a symphony. So when he wrote the so-called 9th, it was really the 8th. That's how he tried to fake out fate. But fate outfoxed him. He called the 9th "10th", and he never finished. So, there is only one major composer (that I can think of) after Beethoven who managed to finish a 9th. WHO WAS IT?

Note, Dvorak's New World was the 5th at the time of his death. The first 4 were only published after he died. Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony, so-called #1, is not really a symphony for the same reason Mahler's "8th" isn't. So VW did not finish a 9th. Fate got a bit testy over the ploy, and got VW just before the premiere recording of the "9th", actually his 8th, making absolutely certain there would be no 9th.

So who, after Beethoven, finished a "9th"? Fate doesn't bother with minor leaguers, so we shouldn't either.
Shos
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:01 am

bignaf wrote:
shostakovich wrote:How about this theory? Mahler's "Symphony #8" is not really a symphony. DLVDE is also not a symphony. So when he wrote the so-called 9th, it was really the 8th. That's how he tried to fake out fate. But fate outfoxed him. He called the 9th "10th", and he never finished. So, there is only one major composer (that I can think of) after Beethoven who managed to finish a 9th. WHO WAS IT?

Note, Dvorak's New World was the 5th at the time of his death. The first 4 were only published after he died. Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony, so-called #1, is not really a symphony for the same reason Mahler's "8th" isn't. So VW did not finish a 9th. Fate got a bit testy over the ploy, and got VW just before the premiere recording of the "9th", actually his 8th, making absolutely certain there would be no 9th.

So who, after Beethoven, finished a "9th"? Fate doesn't bother with minor leaguers, so we shouldn't either.
Shos

That was my answer on the previous page. :P
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:10 am

I hereby declare that Mahler's Das Lied be classified as a dwarf-symphony! :D
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:10 am

but I answered it in a more clever way. :)

Bruckner's 9th is incomplete.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:37 pm

Catmando wrote:

Shos

Why, it was you Shostakovich, of course! :)

Aw, shucks :wink:
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Yup, Cat and Big knew who I had in mind.

Thanks, Shap for applying the "Dvorak rule" to Bruckner. And Arnold is most definitely a minor leaguer in my estimation. Spohr, too. To save my duff, I'll probably have to demote any other symphonist to the minors --- like Miaskovsy, who wrote almost 30. :roll:

Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:30 am

shostakovich wrote:Yup, Cat and Big knew who I had in mind.

Thanks, Shap for applying the "Dvorak rule" to Bruckner. And Arnold is most definitely a minor leaguer in my estimation.

Shos

Well, Shos, it looks like your comment so hurt Sir Malcolm that he lost the will to live. :wink:
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:22 pm

Sure, enough! I hadn't heard it till now, so I Googled it:

Sir Malcolm Arnold, R.I.P.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 pm

Peter wrote:
shostakovich wrote:Yup, Cat and Big knew who I had in mind.

Thanks, Shap for applying the "Dvorak rule" to Bruckner. And Arnold is most definitely a minor leaguer in my estimation.

Shos

Well, Shos, it looks like your comment so hurt Sir Malcolm that he lost the will to live. :wink:

Oh, the guilt! I feel terrible. I really love his English Dances, and I'll never have a chance to tell him now. :( :( :( :cry: :cry:

Mortified
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:07 pm

Shos, you're both a wise man and a naughty boy! But then, aren't we all? :flex:
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:53 pm

Sad to hear about Arnold....
He wrote a fabulous Brass Quintet!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Previous

Return to Musical Notes