Robin Hood (1991) soundtrack

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Robin Hood (1991) soundtrack

Postby serge urtizberea » Fri Dec 01, 2000 3:27 am

I don't particularly care for most of the film scores out there (save for a very few gifted composers', I find film scores are useless on their own) but ever since I first saw Kevin Costner's non-British version of Robin Hood, I'd been obsessed with the score. Michael Kamen was apparently in a HUGE rush to get it off in time, and had to occupy numerous orchestrators to "score" the music. Does anyone have any other interesting info on the soundtrack? Does anyone else ENJOY the soundtrack? The "overture" is simply gorgeous, and the love theme is quite appealing. Ever so nice.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Re: Robin Hood (1991) soundtrack

Postby Kylene » Mon Dec 04, 2000 8:31 pm

Robin Hood is an amzing soundtrack... you should play it sometime- the bassoon and horn line in the main theme is incredible Image
Kylene
5th Chair

Postby dman » Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:10 pm

This is an Amazing Soundtrack. I can listen to it over and over. I do disagree with you though. I give homage to John Williams and Danny Elphman. They are as brilliant as the classics, and Any one of their sondtracks could stand alone in my book.
dman
5th Chair

Postby ReedMan » Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:19 am

Given the number of soundtracks available for purchase, I find it an interesting phenomenon. Most soundtracks usually have at least one strong piece that can 'stand alone', like an overture. <P>Listening to the rest - which was created as accompaniment to visuals, makes me feel BLIND - I know I am missing something - especially if I have not seen the movie. I recall listening to the Star Wars soundtrack and even though I saw the movie (N times), the music always was lacking something, namely the visuals !<P>Chords that obviously paint a mood are not enough...<P>Does this bother you ?
ReedMan
4th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Fri Dec 22, 2000 11:19 am

I think that's the general point of film music; to accompany. The stand-alone piece, as you say, is usually the showstopper or attention-grabber because the movie (opening credits, etc.) can focus solely on the score. Otherwise, the music can only provide a musical delineation or mood-setting if it doesn't want to get in the way of the dialogue or scenery. (I think that is how it works) The RH soundtrack does tend to provide only a ghost of what the movie was, and without the visuals, it can seem a little thin. But I tend to associate the score with the first time I saw the movie (in October 1995). At the time, I was in Gr. 10 and at a leadership camp or something, and this really nice (read: hot) girl was there and we... So, I actually remember that period of my life when I listen to the soundtrack. That is personally my excuse for admiring Kamen's work.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes