Live performances

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:42 am

yeah, I am 21st. I don't mind you bashing the 20th, personally. but it gives me a good chance to call you Phillistines! [sic].
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 am

I think Phillistines! are the Philistines which migrated to Philly...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:50 am

I don't know what a Phillistine is, but I did have a Phillistein I purchased for drinking beer at a ball game. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:45 pm

"Senator, I served with Phil Stein. I knew Phil Stein. Phil Stein was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Phil Stein...."
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:56 pm

:rofl:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Man, talk about short attention spans...

Speaking of Philistines, I've been waiting for someone to bring this up, but apparently you've all already forgotten:

Or maybe you were just trying to show a little pity...

"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Oh no, no pity was shown. You didnt read back far enough.
I wanna know why your toenails are not blue to match your trim ?

[quote=Selma]Il Travestare.[/quote]
Brilliant, Mme Geekess.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

that looks more assyrian the philistine.

back to original topic, I'll have a premiere on Mon.. it's of my new Ubangi for large ensemble. here's the info:
Quote:
A Young Composers' Workshop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 2, 2007, 8 p.m.

Free admission

New works for large ensemble by talented young composers
specially written for ALEA III

Panagiotis Theodossiou(Greece)
Heather Gilligan (USA)
Herlen Galvez (Mexico)
Adam Knauss (USA)
Savvas Tsiligiridis (Greece)
Joelle Marston (USA)
Naftali Schindler (Israel)

Theodore Antoniou, conductor

Open rehearsals for the public

Come to experience how new music is prepared for performance

Friday 3/30, 10:00 am - 12:00 noon, Room 167, 855 Commonwealth Avenue
Friday 3/30, 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm, Room 171, 855 Commonwealth Avenue
Saturday 3/31, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm, Room 167, 855 Commonwealth Avenue
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:24 am

*ig,

Congratulations on this thread also!!!

Regards,
TM

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Il Trovatore was an excellent listen.
I really liked the sliding walls-with-doors. They made scene changes fast and easy (1 intermission in 4 acts). Contrast that to the 1.25 hours added to Don Carlo, for scene changes.

I liked them not only for their efficiency. They were effective.
The swords everywhere all the time was weird. Everything looked like it was happening in a cemetery. The swords were weird in the Anvil Chorus. And there was something clanging in the orchestra, which made it seem like the swordfighters were out of time or something.

The voices were nice. Once again, I forgot my program and cant give proper credit. "Leonora" bugged the heck out of me in her first scene - vibrato on every note. Completely over the top (my impression) but I came around. I really enjoyed listening to her for the rest of the show.
Dario Volonte (Manrico) has grown as a singer, or gotten over some illness. He still hasnt as big a voice as most of the cast, but he did well, and blended well with the others.
The trios (the count, Manrico and Leonora) were my favorite.
The woman who sang Azucena got the biggest ovation of the evening.
This was my first time to hear Priti Ghandi and be aware of it - she was Leonora's friend. I like her voice very much. It seems she graduated from my alma mater. She took a beginning voice class one quarter, as a rest from her intense coursework, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:56 am

bump....

For Marye :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks Ray!!!

I just love the last act of Trovatore... Azucena is my favourite.. il rogo,il rogo, il rogo!!! ... I also must admit I laugh a bit at the end when Count Di Luna sings the last line of the opera ..EEK HORROR! :lol:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:19 pm

This just in, courtesy of my pipeline from the head office:

This production really is cursed...

-----Original Message-----
Owing to the illness of Dario Volonte, the role of Manrico will be sung
tomorrow night by EDOARDO VILLA.

We are grateful to Michigan Opera Theatre for releasing Villa from
rehearsal to save the day.

IAN[Campbell, GD of the SDO]

After replacing the original Manrico with Dario, now Dario has to be replaced for the last performance!
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:52 pm

I'm not sure this fit in with the intentions of this thread but it is a live performance set to Beatles music. Go aahead and watch, we all deserve a treat every now and then

http://www.johnbrooks.com/juggle/
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:30 pm

A heck of a lot of fun! :rofl:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:00 pm

This evening I will be attending the Toronto Symphony Orchestra's performance of Mahler's 2nd. This year conducted by Sir Andrew Davis, with Erin Wall, soprano; Meredith Arwady, contralto and Toronto Mendelssohn Choir.

I love this symphony. It is perhaps my favourite...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Sounds like a great evening and a great concert, Marye. I'm sure it's Shap's favorite symphony also. :D

Saturday night, I'm attending the WSO's presentation of JS Bach's Mass in B minor, with the Mennonite Festival Chorus.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:50 am

Catmando wrote:Sounds like a great evening and a great concert, Marye. I'm sure it's Shap's favorite symphony also. :D

Saturday night, I'm attending the WSO's presentation of JS Bach's Mass in B minor, with the Mennonite Festival Chorus.

Mary,

How was the concert for Mahler's Symphony No. 2?

I thoroughly enjoyed Bach's Mass in B minor. What beautiful music and singing. A bit long, but well worth it.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 pm

Last Saturday, bar and I attended a performance by the National Symphony Orchestra, featuring Leonard Slatkin as conductor, and Peter Schickele as semiconductor.

Professor Schickele provided some background for a couple of his works, explaining that his "Unbegun Symphony" was called that because, when his deadline arrived, the parts he had completed seemed like they should be the second and third movements, so it was lacking a beginning one. He said he didn't actually write a note of music for the piece, but simply gathered up quotes from other works he knew about, being unable to quote pieces he didn't know about.

Leonard Slatkin also conducted a piece written by his father, Felix, titled "Carmen's Hoedown." YRH, if you have this available, it's my request for Classical Comedy.

The evening finished off with PDQ Bach's 1712 Overture, directed by Prof. Schickele. I've heard it several times, but seeing it is far better. There is a period of approximately five minutes while the organ (and they have a heck of a pipe organ in the Kennedy Center's Concert Hall) plays solo. The entire orchestra seems to go on break, including the conductor. The percussionists were playing badminton, the winds appeared to be building a Christmas tree out of newspaper, just no end to the fun.

Although I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it (having admonished beethoven.com several times for playing this specific pop piece as classical music), they also played Leroy Anderson's Syncopated Clock and The Typewriter. Leonard Slatkin played the featured solo. When the piece was about to begin, two piano movers brought in a typewriter on a table. Mr. Slatkin gestured several times about exactly how the table should be positioned, and once he was satisfied, the audience could see the "Steinway" label on the typewriter table. The oboist blew a note, and Mr. Slatkin looked puzzled at his instrument, then at the oboist, who then raised a large card with the letter "A" printed on it. Mr. Slatkin pressed the A key on the typewriter, and seemed satisfied that he was properly tuned.

It was fun in a way I haven't had fun at a symphony in a long time. :rofl:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Tue May 15, 2007 8:27 am

Barfle, that sounds wonderful!

By the way Cat, I can't believe I didn't respond to "how was Mahler's 2nd" ... I must have done so on another threat or I am having conversations in my head.. It was brilliant. There was a chorus of "BRAVO's"....

We saw Sonny Rollins a few weeks ago. Jazz, of course, but wonderful. That man can still wail. Seventy-seven years old... wow.

We are seeing La Traviata this Sunday. Terrible reviews for its staging:

In fact, if anything, the chorus of boos that greeted the production's creative team after Friday night's opening of the production on the stage of the Four Seasons Centre For the Performing Arts was even more pronounced than it was for the production's debut in 1999 on the stage of the Hummingbird Centre.

OT... the chorus is in black leather (S&M) gear!! I didn't see the 1999 production since I was bloody mad at the COC and refused to subscribe for the year.... so I will be interested to see how the Sunday afternoon crowd (average age 92) cope with this. :rofl:
Marye
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes