Math Problem

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Math Problem

Postby shostakovich » Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:32 pm

Take the Linz, divide by the Tragic, resulting in an Unfinished (not THE Unfinished). Whose???<BR>And continuing with numbers, I counted 29 topics in this category (before this one), and 7 were initiated by Serge. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Re: Math Problem

Postby Peter » Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:15 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shostakovich:<BR>[B]Take the Linz, divide by the Tragic, resulting in an Unfinished (not THE Unfinished). Whose???>><P>HI SHO!,<P>This is driving me crazy! Since no one else has had a stab, I thought I might.......<P>If the answer is Schubert, then shouldn`t the result be "The Great", and not "The Unfinished"? That is to say, Mozart`s symphony no. 36, divided by Schubert`s symphony no. 4, should equal somebody`s symphony no. 9, not 8!<P>If it`s not Schubert, then please, WHO??!! Image
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:37 pm

Congratulations, Peter. You have just won the prize. As the only person to attempt this musical enigma, you are the winner.<P><BR> THE PRIZE IS ---<P> THE ANSWER ------<P><BR> BRUCKNER ------<P>And now, who wrote a musical Enigma?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:25 pm

OH DANGIT! GOSHHH!!!!! ARRGHHHHHHHH! AFTER UNDERSTANDING THE QUESTION, I KNEW IT WASNT SHUBERT, BUT BRUCKNER FOR SURE! I KNEW IT! sorry for being dramatic, but as i scrolled down to see if someone wrote after Peter, i was hoping to NOT see the answer already down, becuase i was GOING to guess Bruckner.<BR>Please give me credit 'cuz im being soo honest here!<BR>FLOWERBOY
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:30 pm

Hi, now that im calmed down over that dramatic episode, i took time to read ALL of Shos' reply, and the answer to the Enigma is.........<BR>The Enigma variations written by Sir Edward Elgar. These variations are arguably the most well-applauded set of variations ever.<BR>And that is my "Final Answer".<P>NOW GIVE ME MY PRIZE! (heehee)<BR>Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:44 am

You are funny, and you are correct. Since you got the Enigma enigma, I'll give you credit for the Bruckner. Your prize is the following: Bid Farewell twice, and remove from a late Surprise. You will come to the kind of guy Michelangelo was. Who dunnit?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Tue Dec 19, 2000 1:22 pm

thank you, Shos. ive came up with close to the answer of the next question. i just cant figured out who wrote a famous #(not telling) that has to do with Michaelangelo. DONT TELL ME UNTIL I ASK FOR THE ANSWER PLEASE.
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Tue Dec 19, 2000 1:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shostakovich:<BR><B>You are funny, and you are correct. Since you got the Enigma enigma, I'll give you credit for the Bruckner. Your prize is the following: Bid Farewell twice, and remove from a late Surprise. You will come to the kind of guy Michelangelo was. Who dunnit?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>>><P>Got it! But I won`t spoil Flowerboy`s fun!<P>
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:10 pm

Hi shos! im back, and i think ive got the answer. after conversing with my freind david (LVBfurimmer) weve come to a conclusion. Farewell twice, Haydns farewell sypmohny 45 x2 = 90. remove from a late surprise, hadyns 94. 94-90 = 4. Michelangelo was italien. There was an "italien symphony wrote by Mendelssohn - his 4th symphony. Therefore our answer is Mendelssohn's 4th symphony. If it is correct, give credit to both me and David (LVBfurimmer). Thanks.
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:17 pm

Wow ! I am impressed with the caliber of these questions and the cipherin' !!<P>I'm going to give up on posting any more trivia questions, etc.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Dec 20, 2000 12:42 am

Congratulations Flowerboy and Peter. Keep on posting, Treebeau. Next up: <BR>1) Composer A was called by Haydn "the greatest composer I know either personally or by name."<BR>2) Composer B wrote a symphony that Wagner called "the apotheosis of the dance".<BR>3) Take the difference in the birth years of composers A and B.<BR>4) Divide that by the London Symphony of composer C (not Haydn).<BR>5) You should have another symphony by composer C with a geographical location as its subtitle.<BR>6) What kind of birds should you expect to find there?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Wed Dec 20, 2000 1:20 am

Okay shos, ill work on this one and have the answer by tomorrow. Meanwhile, why dont you take a look at my new question titled under topic "I HAVE A NEW RIDDLE!" itll take you a wihle maybe.<BR>Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 20, 2000 5:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shostakovich:<BR><B>Congratulations Flowerboy and Peter. Keep on posting, Treebeau. Next up: <BR>1) Composer A was called by Haydn "the greatest composer I know either personally or by name."<BR>2) Composer B wrote a symphony that Wagner called "the apotheosis of the dance".<BR>3) Take the difference in the birth years of composers A and B.<BR>4) Divide that by the London Symphony of composer C (not Haydn).<BR>5) You should have another symphony by composer C with a geographical location as its subtitle.<BR>6) What kind of birds should you expect to find there?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Deja vu! Got it, but I won`t spoil the fun!
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Thu Dec 21, 2000 2:17 pm

ok shos im back. I was busy yesterday so i couldnt go online. but i figured it out like within an hour b4 i went to sleep. okay it goes like this:<BR>1)Mozart<BR>2)Beethoven<BR>3)14 divide by Vaugn Williams no. 2=<BR>4) 7<BR>5) antarctica<BR>6) penguins<BR>thank you.
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes