Accordion Pops Orchestra

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Accordion Pops Orchestra

Postby BigJon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 pm

These guys are coming to my backyard, Accordion Pops Orchestra think I should go? :mrgreen:
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:48 pm

So, you're going to bust out your old accordion and join the band? What's you're favorite? The Pennsylvania Polka? The Beer Barrel Polka? Lady of Spain?

That picture of Myron Floren is a blast from the past. I remember seeing that same picture in the late 60s, I believe.

I recall hearing about an accordion where all the buttons were single notes instead of chords. Hmmm...now I'm going to have to "research" whether accordions were used seriously in classical music at some point in time..............ugh, where's the accordion emoticon?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 am

You all MUST really plan a trip out here to NorCal in August. Every year the town right next to ours (Cotati) holds the annual Cotati Accordian Festival. Lady of Spain is played en masse with anyone who has an d can play an accordian participating. There are usually 50-100 of them...sheeesh...that's a lot of sound :crazy:

http://www.cotatifest.com/index.htm
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm

I remember seeing the following bumper sticker:

Use an accordion, go to jail

Unfortunately, I never found out how to get my own.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 pm

They actually play some classical, no Lady of Spain. [url=http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all-accordionpopsmar04,0,4582187.story]You may need to register to see this article on them.
[/url]
The mere thought of Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony played by an arsenal of 32 accordions boggles the mind and just begs to be heard.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:30 pm

I'm intrigued: We have the Garlic Festival in Gilroy the end of July, Cotato Accordion thing the end of August: I may be living in the wrong part of the state. Actually, I can't think of anything better than the Garlic Festival. Garlic brittle, garlic ice cream, flaming garlic calimari, garlic fries, garlic bread, etc.

The best SoCal can do this year is the drum corps finals in the Rose Bowl, second weekend of August. Hey, come to think of it, Blue Devils could outblow an accordion festival! :whew!:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:38 pm

We have the Garlic Festival in Gilroy the end of July

I guess Gilroy is pretty well assured to be vampyre- and werewolf-free at the end of every July, eh? :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I'm intrigued: We have the Garlic Festival in Gilroy the end of July, Cotato Accordion thing the end of August: I may be living in the wrong part of the state. Actually, I can't think of anything better than the Garlic Festival. Garlic brittle, garlic ice cream, flaming garlic calimari, garlic fries, garlic bread, etc.

The best SoCal can do this year is the drum corps finals in the Rose Bowl, second weekend of August. Hey, come to think of it, Blue Devils could outblow an accordion festival! :whew!:

As a GARLIC LOVER!!!!!
One day I hope to get out to Gilroy for the Festival!!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:20 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I'm intrigued: We have the Garlic Festival in Gilroy the end of July, Cotato Accordion thing the end of August: I may be living in the wrong part of the state. Actually, I can't think of anything better than the Garlic Festival. Garlic brittle, garlic ice cream, flaming garlic calimari, garlic fries, garlic bread, etc.

Selma, if you do decide to head north for the Cotati Accordion Festival (see link above) you will likely see these guys perform: http://www.polkacide.com/index.html

Polkacide is hilarious and they play some rip-snortin' Polka music...all complete with a "punk rock" image of spiked pink hair, spiked metal studded neckbands, and Lederhosen worn appropriately, with a string of bratwursts dangling down through the pant leg. :rofl: :rofl: :crazy:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 pm

jamiebk wrote:.... with a string of bratwursts dangling down through the pant leg. :rofl: :rofl: :crazy:

I do NOT want to know where, or how, those brats are attached. :bugeyes:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Sure you do. :rofl:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes