Who's Conducting this 1812?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Who's Conducting this 1812?

Postby Shosty's Girl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:52 pm

Hey y'all. Who is conducting this version of the 1812 Overture? I have a version I'm not in love with. I think the conductor takes the ending too slowly. It started around 8:50 pm eastern time. It didn't say who the orchestra was or the conductor like it usually does. I've never heard a choir with it I don't think. Thanks!
Shosty's Girl
Section Player

Re: Who's Conducting this 1812?

Postby jamiebk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Hey Shosty, real cute name you got there...welcome to the board. I looked on the music log and like you could find no information on the specific of the piece. Too bad. It's probably the same one that they (B.com) play frequently so stay tuned and you'll be boubnd to hear it again.

I like the addition of the choir too...really gives the piece a nice added dimension. Usually, it's just a lot of clanging and banging, but the choir IMHO, brings it all together.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:35 pm

So it does. The addition of a choir to the 1812 is one of the very few alterations from an original piece that I whole-heartedly approve of.

I have a recording dating from 1968 which has the choir. It's by the New Philharmonia Orchestra, Cathedral Choir and Childrens' Chorus of St. Ambrose,the Central Band of the Royal Air Force, the guns of the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery. and (according to the blurb) genuine Russian church bells, recorded in their churches. All directed by Igor Buketoff on an RCA Red Seal recording. The cover is headlined "a dramatically new version", so I think this may be the first use of choirs in recordings of this work.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 am

I first heard the 1812 with a choir, here at B.com, and the recording with Bernstein and the NYPO at first seemed strange to me, since it did not have one.

dai bread wrote:The cover is headlined "a dramatically new version", so I think this may be the first use of choirs in recordings of this work.

Yes, it is.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 pm

A person who desired the info on a particular recording heard on b.com might consider sending a pm to Nicole Marie. I suspect she could look it up.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby neville a henry » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:20 am

hi. the very best i have heard is by Herbert v Karahn with church, bells, cannons and a military band this to me is the best 1812.
neville a henry
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:43 am

Hello, Neville,

Welcome to the B.com BB!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 am

The correct answer is: I am conducting it...in my skivvies, with the volume turned up very high...
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 am

GreatCarouser wrote:The correct answer is: I am conducting it...in my skivvies, with the volume turned up very high...

:rofl: :rofl: GC...I am trying NOT to visualize that... :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes