Besides Mozart and Beethoven

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Besides Mozart and Beethoven

Postby Ernesto » Tue Dec 12, 2000 11:53 pm

Besides Mozart and Beethoven who is your favorite composer of the piano concerto? (If Mozart or Beethoven is truly your favorite you are allowed to state them, but you must give an original reason and establish which concerto). Also, what or who introduced you into becoming interested in the piano concerto? <BR>
Ernesto
5th Chair

Re: Besides Mozart and Beethoven

Postby Symbio » Wed Dec 13, 2000 1:49 pm

Well, my favorite defintively IS Beethoven, but beside him, I very much enjoy listening to Robert Schumann, especially his "Scenes From Childhood (Kinderszenen), Op.15". His music is beautiful, sometimes crisp and clear, and then Beethoven-ish, too.
Symbio
Section Player

Postby Ernesto » Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:17 pm

Excellent response, but I specifically asked for your favorite concerto, which is a composition featuring the piano with orchestratic accompaniment. Most of the music from the romantic era melds the styles of Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn, this is a given. I posed this question to help broaden the appeal for piano concertos to myself and those interested in expanding their preferences. However, a good piano concerto from Schumann is the Concerto in A major Op. 54, it is in the style of Mozart, and wonderfully difficult for intermediate pianists. Since everyone feels that Mozart and Beethven are the greatest of composers, I feel there is merit in excluding them. I know you love Beethoven's music, and you would be a lunatic not to like his compositions.
Ernesto
5th Chair

Postby Ernesto » Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:18 pm

Excellent response, but I specifically asked for your favorite concerto, which is a composition featuring the piano with orchestratic accompaniment. Most of the music from the romantic era melds the styles of Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn, this is a given. I posed this question to help broaden the appeal for piano concertos to myself and those interested in expanding their preferences. However, a good piano concerto from Schumann is the Concerto in A major Op. 54, it is in the style of Mozart, and wonderfully difficult for intermediate pianists. Since everyone feels that Mozart and Beethven are the greatest of composers, I feel there is merit in excluding them. I know you love Beethoven's music, and you would be a lunatic not to like his compositions.
Ernesto
5th Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:41 pm

Howdy,<P>My favorite is the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1. Nothing stirs me like those grand notes at the beginning of the piece, as the orchestra introduces the melody. Then the flip-flop where the piano plays the melody as the orchestra softly echos the same notes previously played on the piano.<P>I have a dim recollection of seeing Liberace play this on TV a Verrrry long time ago. Having lived in Miami I had the good fortune of being able to listen to W-T-M-I (9-3-.-1) (edited because the software made the call letters and numbers unreadable) in the 1970's and 1980's...LONG before its rebirth as Beethoven.com. They played such great classical music and I'm sure that it was there that I heard the Tchaikovsky again, as a teenager.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by treebeau (edited 12-13-2000).]
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:15 pm

Hi Ernesto. My favorite piano concertos (a tie) are Rachmaninov's 2nd and 3rd. The Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, although not a concerto, is right up there, too. I hope this topic gets lots of responses. Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Thu Dec 14, 2000 11:55 pm

THANK YOU TREEBEUA! i was waiting for the tchaikovsky to be replied i couldnt log in this dang thing. Although i love Beethovens 5th concerto, Tchaikovsky's was a lot more exciting! I LOVE to conduct the 3rd movement, espiecially with the timpani bang on the first beat. I think it was so delicately written in 3/4 time. usually stuff written in presto is in 4/4. but he did it, and did it perfectly. I also love in the 2nd movement, when it goes off into that "fantasy sleigh-run" as i like to call it. i love how the 2nd movement starts with pretty, delicate plunking. The whole piece conveys, a warm, deep, romantic feeling, with exitement at the end. Very nice. it was completely the opposite of Beethovens a5th, but i like it all the same. Rach's 2nd p.c. is good too. I only wish that mahler would have written a piano concerto, but i dont think it was in him at all. it would have been bland and lyrical. his thoughts could not have been put into music through a piano. although a cello or violin concerto would have been nice... FLOWERBOY
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Fri Dec 15, 2000 2:22 am

I wish to add Saint-Saens' #2 to the list. It's not a particularly deep piece, but it's so darn catchy. <P>I love the Schumann. I cannot get enough of the Schumann. In parts, it sounds so wistful, so yearning... just like Ludwig's 4th, 1st mov't. Those last two are beautiful works.<P>Perhaps we could also make mention of Liszt #1! That must be one of the shortest and trashiest (in the words of a National Post columnist) p.c. ever written, but the last minute or so of the 3rd mov't are as sizzling as you'd want! Pure energy.<P>
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby LVBfurimmer » Sat Dec 16, 2000 12:57 pm

My favorite is Beethoven, but there are lots of great concerti composed by other composers. Some of my favorites ar; Schumanns A minor concerto, Rachmaninoffs 2nd and 3rd, Chopin's concerti are nice, the orchestration is terrible though,Liszt's 1st concerto in e flat, Bachs f minor is beautiful, Bachs concerto for 4 pianos is an awsome peice.
LVBfurimmer
Section Player

Postby serge urtizberea » Sun Dec 17, 2000 7:15 am

We have agreement! Someone else out there actually likes the Liszt #1. Maybe that work can be redeemed yet...
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 03, 2001 3:20 pm

Tchaikovsky #1 is justifiably considered a favorite of the general public. Although most people I know don't know much classical music, the opening strains of T-1 are familair to almost everyone. I recall a performance I attended at the Hollywood Bowl, the humming of the audience almost drowned out the orchestra!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Luis » Wed Jan 03, 2001 10:58 pm

Some piano concertos I like (not necesarily in order):<BR>Beethoven's 5th<BR>Tchaikovsky's 1st<BR>Brahms's 2nd<BR>Rachmaninoff's 2nd<BR>Grieg's op. 16<BR>Mozart's K. 466 (do I have to say that with Beethoven's cadenzas!!) and K. 467. (with the second movement played EXTREMELY slow!!)<P>Somehow I don't completely like Schumann's pc although I do like a lot of his piano music.<BR>
Luis
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes