Keeping Score

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Keeping Score

Postby ai4i » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 am

We hardly ever watch TV, but we learned about this PBS mini-series just in time to see the two parter on Gustav Mahler.
OK, he was a gifted musician, but what we really came away with was this:
Michael Tillson Thomas is a very special communicator. His facial expressions, his body movements, he must be a giant, certainly intimidating, with whom to work.

Those professional instruments really shone on HDTV, unlike the plastic upon which we screached in the high school marching band, which makes me wonder:
Do professional musicians practice with their concert tools?
I mean, will a violin soloist subject a megabuck Strad to countless hours of wearing and tearing?
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Re: Keeping Score

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 pm

As a former violin student, I was told the accepted idea was they improve with playing.

many violinists believe that oldies are goodies, and spurn inexperienced instruments. linkie
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 am

And a new job niche opens up: Violin 'ager': Experienced violinist will play your violin every day for 1-4 hours(you choose, and pay accordingly), to help develop its full round sound, blah blah blah.
I figure I could handle up to 8 hours a day of playing, after I get my finger tips back in shape.

However, I expect most of the gigs will go to those who play in local professional orchestras.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 am

The Chinese and Mexicans have both shown a knack for building 'new antiques' (they are snapped up at antique stores by gullible buyers). Perhaps they should turn their expertise to the musical instrument business.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Musical Notes