Mihaud and "les six"

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Mihaud and "les six"

Postby milton rosenberg » Sat Nov 04, 2000 1:27 pm

Among the early modernists Milhaud and Satie give great pleasure. What, from that group, do you particularly favor and why?
milton rosenberg
Section Player

Re: Mihaud and "les six"

Postby jackm » Wed Nov 22, 2000 4:22 pm

If you listen to the earlier Milhaud works you'll find them very traditional. I've heard the story that he was feeling burned out until someone gave him a ticket to a Duke Ellington concert. It was an eye-opening experience and showed him a whole new world of music. His very jazzy "Creation of the World" was written soon after that.<P>I believe it was Aaron Copland who told me that story when he came for a visit to my college a long, long time ago.<P>Jack
jackm
5th Chair

Re: Mihaud and "les six"

Postby shostakovich » Tue Nov 28, 2000 1:33 am

Of Les Six you can delete Durey and Tailleferre (sp?), leaving Les Quatre: Poulenc, Milhaud, Honegger, and Auric. Poulenc is probably the most tuneful. I have a recording of the Gloria and the Organ Concerto that I like for melody and vigor. Milhaud's Suites Francais and Provencale are fun. The aforementioned Creation of the World is very exciting. I also have an old recording of his percussion concerto. Great beginning. Honegger's claim to fame is Pacific 231. That's a grabber. If you ever get a chance to see the film by that title that was cut to the music (in spite of the ancient sound), it's an experience. I've also been listening to and enjoying his Judith and King David (choral works with narrator). Auric's popularity rested on the "Song from Moulin Rouge". I have not heard much else of his. Maybe Les Six are by now Les Trois. As for Satie, a kindred spirit, and "model"(?) for Les Six, Only the Gymnopedies stand out from the rest to me. They are magical. Many of his titles are more amusing than the works themselves. His wit makes him immortal. For example, when asked what part of Debussy's La Mer he liked best, he answered "oh, about quarter of twelve". Of course you have to know the section titles to appreciate that. Part 1 is titled "From Dawn to Noon on the Sea".
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes