Did Beethoven ever write a waltz?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Did Beethoven ever write a waltz?

Postby The Prince » Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:55 pm

I was just wondering if Beethoven ever wrote any music that falls into the Waltz category? Thank you.
The Prince
Section Player

Re: Did Beethoven ever write a waltz?

Postby shostakovich » Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:00 am

My guess is that NOBODY, who was anybody, wrote a waltz up through Beethoven's death (except possibly Schubert). Chopin's name is the earliest I can associate with the waltz. But, as I say, it's only a guess.<BR>Shos.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Luis » Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:43 am

Beethoven did wrote waltzes: WoO. 84 and 85 (both for piano solo), but I havent heard them.<BR>
Luis
4th Chair

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 05, 2001 9:51 pm

Beethoven composed quite a lot of music for ballroom dancing or for marching. WoO 11 consists of seven landler (two dots over the "a") which is an early form of the waltz. Only a pianoforte arrangement survives.<BR>WoO 17 consists of eleven dances, three or four of them described as waltzes, but most authorities nowadays believe they are not genuine Beethoven.<BR>The Six Landler WoO 15 of 1802, are his final contribution to the genre. I think they are among the most extraordinary things he wrote - maybe the fact that they are scored for two violins and bass contribute to this, but they have an air of melancholy totally unsuited for ballroom dancing! They seem to reflect his true state of mind in 1802, more accurately than the Second Symphony.<P>Michael
Michael
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 06, 2001 9:01 pm

Also, Michael, the 12 German dances (the primitive form of the waltz), WoO8 (1795), written for the Artists` Pension Society Ball in Vienna. While Beethoven is not so associated with the waltz as dance music, as is say, Strauss, it should be remembered that many of his most famous works/movements are in waltz time, or 3/4 time. Fur Elise, the Pastoral symphony andante, the Eroica 1st movement & the finale of the opus 132 quartet are just four examples which spring to mind.
Peter
3rd Chair

Return to Musical Notes