Mahler

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Mahler

Postby Luis » Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:39 am

(For those who like Mahler)<P>Which is your favorite Mahler symphony and recording?<BR>My own favorite would be definitely his 2nd by Bernstein. Then I think his 5th would be my second choice. <P>(For those who don't like Mahler)<P>WHY???<P>I'm just getting to know Mahler, in fact I haven't yet heard his 3rd, 7th and 9th. Image. But all I've heard is absolutely marvelous. By the way do you know any good site that could have some analysis of his symphonies? Here’s a good Mahler forum I found yesterday: <A HREF="http://www.linefeed.com/mahler/discussmain.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.linefeed.com/mahler/discussmain.html</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 01-05-2001).]
Luis
4th Chair

Re: Mahler

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 05, 2001 9:27 pm

Luis, I like Mahler very much but I am familiar with only three of the symphonies, 1,4 and 5. I can't understand why everybody is so divided about him; there seems to be no middle ground, people love him or hate him! The only thing I can think of which might put most people off, is the sheer length of some of the symphonies.<BR>My favourite of all is the Fourth Symphony, in George Szell's version. Have you heard the "Songs of a Wayfarer"? They are all beautiful and I am not that fond of vocal music. One of the songs uses a theme from the First Symphony (actually I don't know which came first)<BR>I must get around to listening to more of his music (if I can tear myself away from a certain deaf composer - not Smetana!)<P>Michael
Michael
4th Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Sat Jan 06, 2001 12:46 am

OHHH KAY, lets see here.....<BR>Mahler is one of my fav composers. I have his 1st, 4th, and 6th symphonies and have bought his 2nd recently but havent got it yet. im very excited. I love his 1st symphony so much that i conduct it more than any other piece of music on CD i own. its absolutely a marvelous piece of Romantic work. Its not as "mature" of a piece as his 6th, but i love it the same. His style of Romantic-Moderanism i guess is what hooked me - either that or when i heard the 1st few measures of the 4th movement (the Titan) on a encyclopedia CD i had. So i went and bought it and i love it so much. The 2nd movt, entitled "Blumine" brings the picture of a man walking through a huge garden of huge flowers which suddenly bloom as he walks past them. The other picture i get from that same movt, is i think of (please dont think im psycho) is hundreds and hundreds of insane men waltzing around by themselves in a huge huge ballroom to the beat of the music. I entitled that movt "The waltz of the insane men". Sometimes i laugh when i listen to it. its fun to conduct also. for those of you who havent gone into the world of Mahler, i suggest you do. Youll be in for a nice music listening time if you do. <BR>Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 10, 2001 3:51 pm

Luis (or anyone),<P>What puts me off Mahler a little is that everything is on such a huge scale - the only intimate music he wrote, of which I`m aware, is in his songs. I find it difficult to relate to composers who shy away from chamber music. Partly for this reason, I cannot stand Wagner.<P>Why did such a brilliant symphonist like Mahler contribute nothing of note in the field of the chamber work?
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Luis » Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter:<BR><B>Luis (or anyone),<P>What puts me off Mahler a little is that everything is on such a huge scale - the only intimate music he wrote, of which I`m aware, is in his songs. I find it difficult to relate to composers who shy away from chamber music. Partly for this reason, I cannot stand Wagner.<P>Why did such a brilliant symphonist like Mahler contribute nothing of note in the field of the chamber work? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B> To Peter </B><BR>Ironically, that's one of the aspects I’m most attracted to Mahler: to conceive each symphony as a challenge of discovering an entire world!! Indeed, Mahler music can be intimidating and surely is not a music you (anyone) can rapidly like or understand; but you have to give it some time! The first Mahler symphony I’ve listened was his 6th. BIG mistake!!!!, I was horrified!!! (by that time I was all the time listening Mozart, so imagine my reaction…) and still now I consider it way too chaotic. <BR>Chamber music by Mahler or a piano concerto???!!!! (I think Flowerboy mentioned the later) PLEASE NO!!!! That would be awful!!<P><B> To Flowerboy </B><BR>Oh my... Prepare yourself for the 2nd !!! (The best, the best, the best!!!!!) Perhaps you could buy an iron baton and surely you will need some body protection when you’ll conduct it Image. Buy his 5th right now! Go Flowerboy, GO!!! Image<P>
Luis
4th Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:21 pm

the first piece ive heard of Mahler is his first symphony. I loved it so much right away because it was So DIFFERENT! ive been searching for a conductor that i can click with really good. Mahler is the one i can understand. Mahler strove to find new ways of expression. The next one i bought was his 4th symphony. then i bought his 6th symphony. your right, it was a mistake to listen to that one first. He actually has a quote to explain it - ill brb ill find it.<BR>Okay im back. he says - "My Sixth will present riddles which only a generation that has previously absorbed and digested my first five will venture to solve." And hes so right.He called this symphony his Tragic symphony. I think it would have been nice if he wrote some chamber music, but i dont believe it was in him. Mahler's music was way ahead of his time they say. But he wrote in the late 1800's to early 1900's. The audience just hadnt understood him yet. But anyway, im excited to get my Mahler 2. I like the thought of getting a steel baton and body - protection. i might not need that, but ill prepare 5 huge glasses of water - one for the end of each movement. lol. Then i wont be crawling down the stairs muttering "water! water!". <BR>Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby Bob the Composer » Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:43 am

I have heard 1-5 to some extent, and cannot stand the 4th and 5th. They are both awful. I tried listening to the 5th a week ago and I just couldn't do it. The 4th movment is good, but everything else is shocking bad, especially when you compare it with the first symphony and the first three movements of the 2nd. Now there are some good, well balanced works. My recording of the 2nd is conducted by Bruno Walter and he does a good job with it.<P>Bob
Thus saith the frog-man: "reteP reteP"
Bob the Composer
4th Chair

Postby Luis » Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob the Composer:<BR><B>I have heard 1-5 to some extent, and cannot stand the 4th and 5th. They are both awful. I tried listening to the 5th a week ago and I just couldn't do it. The 4th movment is good, but everything else is shocking bad, especially when you compare it with the first symphony and the first three movements of the 2nd. Now there are some good, well balanced works. My recording of the 2nd is conducted by Bruno Walter and he does a good job with it.<P>Bob</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The 5th is to me his 2nd best symphony, but still I can understand (who said forgive?) Image a person who doesn't like it. That's not the case for the last 2 movements of the 2nd, which I consider (the 2 mvts. as a whole) among the 10 best movements in the history of symphonic music); but that’s the humble opinion of a musical illiterate...<P>
Luis
4th Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:43 pm

DAMMIT GUYS! you guys are making me sooooo excited for the arrival of the Mahler 2nd - i got if off of Ebay. It hasnt arrived yet but i am DESPARATELY awaiting its arrival. i cant wait! by the way . i got the score in for the first symphony. And ive decided to try out for conducting with Juilliard.<BR>Replies are most welcome.<BR>An extremely excited Flowerboy. Image
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sun Jan 14, 2001 1:43 pm

Since the Resurrection Symphony is a favorite, and its opening is as much a grabber as Zarathustra's, let me ask if anyone has heard of the following.<P>It's a recording made by the LSO in 1989 with Gilbert Kaplan conducting. Who is Gilbert Kaplan? He's what makes it special. He's (or was) publisher of an investment magazine that he started in the 60s. In the 1980s a friend took him to hear Mahler's second. He was smitten as no one else has ever been. Not even you, Brandon, if you can believe it. He went on a pilgrimage to hear all performances that he could. He researched Mahler's notes and letters, talked to conductors. His holy grail was to conduct the symphony as MAHLER himself would have approved. He learned the score inside out. He has conducted the work with many orchestras. He is not, nor does he claim to be, a conductor. He may be the world's leading authority on this one work. The story of Kaplan and his quest was the subject of an A&E documentary. It's about 1/2 hour long, so it obviously does not contain a performance. It may be available on video under the title Mahler and the Millionaire.<P>Glad you posted this column, Luis. <BR>Shos.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:18 pm

I remember the Kaplan version coming out some years back, Shos and Luis, and it was nicely priced and I remember regretting that I didn't buy it.<BR>I really should gather myself and invest in one of Mahler's longer symphonies, and from what I've picked up on this thread, and, as my birthday is coming up, I think I'll treat myself to the 2nd. I've never heard any of it, I'm ashamed to admit.<P>Michael
Michael
4th Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Sun Jan 14, 2001 11:17 pm

Welp, you guys done gone and did it! i peed my pants. havent got it yet, but im sittin here in a puddle of pee. thanx.<BR>Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes