Bruckner # 9

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Bruckner # 9

Postby Flowerboy » Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:25 pm

I just listened to Bruckner's 9th Symphony. I almost cried at the end of it because he was unable to finish it. It was starting to get really good. It was the original version, not the version with Loews arrangement. I wish God would have let Anton finish His symphony (it was dedicated to Him). Why not let him finish it?<P>Reply at will.<P>A saddend Flowerboy
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Re: Bruckner # 9

Postby shostakovich » Tue Jan 09, 2001 12:33 am

Hi Flowerboy. Maybe God didn't want to share the last movement with mere mortals. In any case take cheer from what God let Bruckner accomplish. I love his scherzos, especially in the 8th and 9th. I know you love Mahler. Are you just now getting into Bruckner, or have you been there for a while? The 9th is very spiritual. It took me a long time to "get it". I'm glad you feel strongly about it.<BR>Shos.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Flowerboy » Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:37 am

this is the first piece i heard of Bruckner, actually. I didnt like it at first because it has no real melody that echos back in the other mvmnts, except for that 4 note thing.<BR>But it was good, i dont think that ive "got it" yet, but it does seem very spiritual. i think it was very close to what he intended to write. Too loud in the 1st mvt, tho i think. either that, or i just havent "got it" yet, which i just mentioned. remember when you criticize a work, always try to think if the composer intended it. The composer cant be wrong, cuz thats what he wrote. there is no right or wrong answer for a piece of music, other than a wrong note placed here or there, and mistakes are mistakes. they are forgiven. no one is perfect (except Beethoven). also im gonna write about Mozart in a minute on a new topic please read it.<P>Flowerboy<BR>Brandon<BR>p.s. i might change my user name to MahlerFurimmer.<BR>thoughts on that are welcome.
Flowerboy
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jan 10, 2001 11:58 am

Hi Flowerboy. The Bruckner Symphonies are pretty even, from #0 -9, regarding accessibility. The 4th is the most popular, possibly for the hunting horn calls in the scherzo. You can't go wrong with any of them once you've liked one.<P>As for the name change, shorter is better. I like "Mahler" or "Conductor" for you. "Brandon" is also a good choice. Oops! This is getting like Name Nicole's show. It's YOUR choice. I'll look for your posts under any name. Shos.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes