Wagner Again

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Wagner Again

Postby Serenity » Sat May 31, 2003 3:49 pm

Did you mean they can see differences between "caucasians" or the differences between their side of the world?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dkm32 » Sat May 31, 2003 4:03 pm

My sister-in-law is Thai. She can tell you exactly where and Asian comes from. She has tried to tell me the differences, but I just don't get them. Example: A Thai doesn't have the bridge of the nose between the eyes. Oh? OK.

On the other hand, she can't tell a Swede from an Italian!

<small>[ 05-31-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: dkm32 ]</small>
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby BenODen » Sat May 31, 2003 9:14 pm

Saaay, you guys have done a heck of a lot of talking about that nasty man Wagner! I think if more than half of a thread is on topic it should be considered On topic! I think this one has more Richard Wagner than others! In length, certainly! :p

I'm with the middle ground types on many things, and here again, I'm on the middle ground on the issue of what honor should be given to bad people who do a few good things, or good people who do a few bad things. In the extreme case, what if Hittler had written some good music? I would have a really hard time listening to it. I think there is a line to be drawn between white and black, good and evil, but that doesn't mean it's easy! I mean, nasty people are just that, nasty. There's a reason we call them nasty people. They make life hard for other people unneccessarily... I guess some of the time part of the grey comes from tits for tats. Anyway. I think Wagner comes down on the ok side of the line, knowing the background and all that... And I do like the music, so we'll put him in the OK column.

I think I'll have to start another thread (my first here! Woo hoo!) for my other Wagner related thoughts.

I will say this dangerous thought that will cause some to cry "Hijack!" even though Richard is involved in it. I absolutely HOWLED when I connected Richard Wagner with the Wagner power roller. (As in pronounce the power roller properly in the context of the thread...) I can't believe you guys didn't comment on painting like the wind to Ride of the Valkeries! (Speak of the devil! It's on b.com now!!! I love those synchronicities! Wait, no, it's night on bald mountain. (just as good as pictures (right? (get my point yet (huh a point!? (a point buried in here!)) nah.) maybenot :p ) Things are STILL flying through the air, so Nyeh!) Some one slipped up by missing this joke for a week, but I don't know who yet! I will get to the bottom of this!

-Benito

<small>[ 05-31-2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Benito Of Denver ]</small>
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat May 31, 2003 11:19 pm

Ben O' Den:
Who is your favorite composer?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:08 am

MAN is that a tough one. One favorite?

I love a lot of the popular ones, Gershwin, Stravinsky, Holst, Bach(s), Beethoven, Dvorak, Copeland, Musourgsky, Ravel, Handel... I could go on, but I guess those are my top ones. There are of course many pieces that I am surprised to learn the composer, having grown up on my dad and mom's classical music. (until recently I didn't know I liked Corelli, for instance!) I guess Dvorak or Beethoven would have to share top billing if I had to pick. But it's really hard to seporate out.

They're all moving and bring different emotions to the fore. And sometimes the associations to a promenent placement of the song changes the song for me. For instance, Moonlight Sonata is on now, and I have to struggle to not hear the words that Lucy put on top in "You're a good man Charlie Brown." but it's still a beautiful piece of music.

I have a hard time with absolute favorites in general. I love variety and the differences of life. If it were all one thing it would cease to be so moving or amazing.

Let the music play on!

-Benito
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:06 am

Ben, I didn't see Wagner on your list. How come?

<small>[ 06-01-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Serenity ]</small>
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:20 pm

As a whole, I'm not a big opera afficionado, so it's the overatures that I like of Wagner's. Of the ones I listed, you could bring me a new piece of theirs that I might not neccessarily know already (*gasp* how could it be, eh?) and I'd be all wrapped up in it quickly. I couldn't guarantee that of Wagner's music, no slight to him or his music.

The thread I'm going to start up soon is the "Beginner's opera" plea... I must dash, but that's the teaser. *grin*

-Benito
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:48 pm

Ohhh God! :( :p
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:11 pm

Ben,
Thanks...LMREO (like Ace Ventura).
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:35 pm

Hey Eugene!

If your head spun after my 5 deep parenthetical phrases, (one (two(three))) it was intended to, however, you can safely ignore those after you're read them or failed to read them! I do craft huge long sentences, sorry. *grin*

Ok, now which piece is confusing? I'll get things all straightened up...

-Benito
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:55 pm

E gets confused quite easily. since he can't focus on what he's reading, he's busy orchestrating his symphony in his head.
-his lawyer.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:59 pm

now I'm seriously confused. I'm switching between this board and a baseball board and my compostition and there is a Wagner thread also on the baseball board! so I need to remember not to start talking about the liebestod on the baseball board and to concentrate on (Billy) Wagner's ERA and K/BB ratio.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:08 pm

It's not a symphony! :D :D
lol Big. Start talking about Lohengrin instead of Left field.
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby BenODen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:18 pm

Just keep out of the home improvement boards tonight. You might blow a cortex.

-Benito
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:43 pm

Easy Ben.

You tend to write your thoughts as you're thinking them out. All the "ifs, ands or buts" (and multiple parentheses) divert attention from the main point you're trying to make. Your posts are a little verbose; but that's just your style. (Although the longest post on record has got to be that Copland/McCarthy post).

All Eugene was trying to say was "Huh!...What the...?"
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:41 pm

Exactely Serenity!!
"What the..." isn't exactely it but add another word at the end then its perfect! :D :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:55 am

Originally posted by Serenity:
Did you mean they can see differences between "caucasians" or the differences between their side of the world?
The differences between their side of the world. We all look the same to them. Or so a Chinese man told me once, when we were discussing culture shock.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:53 am

As a native buckeye-American, I take umbrage at Haggis's remarks about the winters there, and at nearly everyone's disparaging remarks about our state hero, Pete Rose (John Glenn and the Wright brothers were simply technicians - Pete Rose was Charlie Hustle!)

Such anti-Ohioism should not be tolerated by forward-thinking peoople anywhere at any time.

(But I was really glad when my parents moved the family to California.)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:58 am

Yeah. We have lots of folks FROM Ohio, Indiana, Texas, Misery. :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:53 am

Hey Barfle, we all know a buckeye's nothin' but a NUT! :p