Opera help

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Opera help

Postby Emster » Wed Jan 17, 2001 10:46 am

I just attended Carlisle Floyd's new opera, "Cold Sassy Tree" on Saturday -- it was great. While there, they gave us hints as to what the new season will include. As I am one who hates secrets and surprises, I thought I would ask you all (or y'all here in Texas). Here's what they gave us:<BR>"A dangerous clown, a lusty Duke and a tavern set for murder..."<BR>"...The infamous cry of 'Stella,' lost dreams, and hot nights in the Quarter."<BR>"Youth won eternally, soul lost infernally and jail for a crazed mother..."<BR>"California gold rush, fever of new found love, and a hangman's noose barely avoided."<P>The first is obviously "Rigoletto" and second sounds like "A Streetcar Named Desire" (didn't know this was an opera), but the last two have got me stumped. The third may be part of Wagner's Ring Series, as they did the first last year and the second this year, but the last one, I can't help you with. I look forward to any help you can give me.
Emster
5th Chair

Re: Opera help

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 17, 2001 1:23 pm

The second-last opera (Youth won eternally...) sounds like Gounod's "Faust" while the last one may be Puccini's "The Girl of the Golden West". I am not sure of this last one as I don't know the plot.<P>Michael
Michael
4th Chair

Re: Opera help

Postby Emster » Wed Jan 17, 2001 4:17 pm

Faust was tossed around Saturday night at the opera, and after reading the synopsis at the Met's website, it sounds correct. Unfortunately, they didn't have the last one listed, so I couldn't check. This calls for some more research (in all of my free time -- ha, ha). Thanks, Michael.
Emster
5th Chair

Return to Musical Notes