Others.

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Others.

Postby lliam » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:23 am

Ludovica, are you British or of Italian decent?
There's a reason for my question which I will disclose as soon as I have your answer.
==================================================

Ignatius, how do you expect to sing if you’re chewing a dandelion root?? “SPIT IT OUT BOY”
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:17 am

Blair, as a friend of mine once put it, bears the impression of the last person that sat on him
LOL that's funny... gotta be English :D ;)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Ludovica » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:30 pm

Lliam, may I say that I am happy and pleased to tell you that I am one of the sons of Albion, having been born in the heart of 'merrie olde England' not far from the birthplace of our very own native born eternal genius, William Shakespeare.

"This Royal Throne of Kings, this sceptred Isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of mars,
this other Eden, Demi-Paradise,
This Fortress built by nature by herself,
This happy breed of men, This little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, This earth, This Realm,
This England."

From Richard 11.

:p :p

<small>[ 07-24-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Ludovica ]</small>
Ludovica
5th Chair

Postby Ludovica » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Ludovica:
Lliam, may I say that I am happy and pleased to tell you that I am one of the sons of Albion, having been born in the heart of 'merrie olde England' not far from the birthplace of our very own native born eternal genius, William Shakespeare.

This England."

From Richard 11.
:p :p :p
Ludovica
5th Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:09 pm

Quoting Shakespeare

" The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers " Henry VI Part II

;)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Ludovica » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:59 pm

Originally posted by Marye:
Quoting Shakespeare

" [b]The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers
" Henry VI Part II

;) [/b]
I note that you quote from the great Jack Cade, one of the most amusing characters in the whole of Shakespeare, apart from Falstaff, I was talking to him the other day and his conversation ran as follows;
"Do you sign your name, or do you make a mark like a plain honest dealing man. I said that I thanked heaven I had an education and could sign my name whereupon Cade immediately replied, Right string him up now with his pen and inkhorn round his neck, he then went on and accused me saying, it shall be proved to thy face that thou has caused a grammer school to be erected to the corruption of the youth of this realm, and it shall be further proved that thou hast used a nown and a verb and other such things that no christian ear can endure to hear. He then said that he wanted to be known as the Lord Mortimer and that anyone that called him Jack Cade shall be instantly killed.
A man ran towards him with some urgent news crying out, Jack Cade! Jack Cade! he then turned to his men and ordered the man to be knocked down forthwith, as he said, 'for I think he had fair warning. Cade was a very bawdy man, and as he was about to take London he promised his men as many women as they wanted and said that they would all be able to lustily stand to when they entered the Capital".
That is the tale of Jack Cade who didn't like Lawyers or scholars.

:eek:
Ludovica
5th Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:06 pm

That is the tale of Jack Cade who didn't like Lawyers or schol ars
Jack Cade,
Rebel with a Cause
:D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:44 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludovica:
[QB] Lliam, may I say that I am happy and pleased to tell you that I am one of the sons of Albion, having been born in the heart of 'merrie olde England' not far from the birthplace of our very own native born eternal genius, William Shakespeare.
=================================================

Lliam (Mr Real Estate):

Albion is the original name of England, which the land was known as by the Romans, probably from the Latin albus meaning white, and referring to the chalk cliffs along the southeast coast of England. This is likely to have been a very old name, pre Celtic, and one of the oldest words remaining in the current English language. (The Anglo-Saxons introduced English in the 5th century AD.) The Latin ‘Britannia’ replaced Albion, and the Romans called the natives of England the Britons.

The term "Nova Albion" was first applied by Drake to the northern California coast in 1579 in all three worlds (real, Harlow, and Norton-Edghill), and only a quarter of a century or more later was it recycled for use (under the guise of "New England") to the east coast of what would one day be the United States. It came as a great surprise to me when I discovered, some years ago, that the first "New England" had been California, not Massachusetts.
=================================================
Ignatius, how do you expect to sing if you’re chewing a dandelion root?? “SPIT IT OUT BOY”
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:23 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludovica:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludovica:
[qb] Lliam, may I say that I am happy and pleased to tell you that I am one of the sons of Albion, having been born in the heart of 'merrie olde England' not far from the birthplace of our very own native born eternal genius, William Shakespeare.

This England."
From Richard 11.

=========================
Jerusalem.
-----------
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
by William Blake.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:02 pm

[QUOTE]Jerusalem [QUOTE]

I remember singing this in a choir when I was a young girl... I do not remember who the composer of the music was? Do you Lliam? Anyone?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:45 pm

guy named Parry. Sir William Parry, or some such.

I love that tune, too. Have you ever listened to "Jerusalem" and then the "Jupiter" movement of Holst's "The Planets"? They fit so well, it's like a continuation.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:02 pm

Good idea Selma, maybe request it here hey?

It was a great piece to sing though... "Shivers down my backbone" :D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:36 pm

Hey wait!

Where did our WAR go!? We can't even stay pumped up about WAR around here!? Well, I will just have to blow up my neighbor's lawn Sheep and start an 'other' war to talk about! :D

Ok, maybe not, maybe I'll just grumble about not getting an investigation into why all the information fed us for the Iraq invasion doesn't match up with reality very well at all. Seems like something that should be done, if only to get someone to say, 'Ok, so our millitary intelligence is worthless...'

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:46 am

Jerusalem

I remember singing this in a choir when I was a young girl... I do not remember who the composer of the music was? Do you Lliam? Anyone?
Sorry Mary, I only know William Blake wrote the words.
Lliam. ;)
Ignatius, how do you expect to sing if you’re chewing a dandelion root?? “SPIT IT OUT BOY” :mad:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:20 am

Jerusalem

Found it Mary,
Sir Charles H.H. Parry. ;) :cool:
--------------------------------------

Selma, the guy you where thinking about was very interesting:
Sir William Parry
===================
1790–1855, British arctic explorer and rear admiral. He entered the navy at 13 and made his first voyage to the Arctic under Sir John Ross in 1818 in search of the Northwest Passage. He was then put in command of the Hecla and the Griper in an expedition (1819–20) to hunt for the passage. Parry sailed westward through Lancaster Sound and discovered and named Melville Island and others of the Queen Elizabeth Islands, as well as naming Barrow Strait. Two other unsuccessful attempts were made (1821–23, 1824–25) to find the Northwest Passage, in the course of which Fury and Hecla Strait was discovered and new information about the Arctic was disclosed. By discovering the entrance to the passage and the way to the north magnetic pole, Parry had also found important whaling grounds. In 1827 he made an attempt to reach the North Pole by sledge from Spitsbergen, attaining lat. 82°45´N, but was forced to turn back mainly by the fatigue of his exploring party. He published three journals describing his quest for the passage as well as a narrative of his attempt to reach the pole. :cool:

Ignatius, how do you expect to sing if you’re chewing a dandelion root?? “SPIT IT OUT BOY” :mad:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby haggis » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:15 pm

Benito asks:

Where did our WAR go!? We can't even stay pumped up about WAR around here!? Well, I will just have to blow up my neighbor's lawn Sheep and start an 'other' war to talk about!

Ok, maybe not, maybe I'll just grumble about not getting an investigation into why all the information fed us for the Iraq invasion doesn't match up with reality very well at all. Seems like something that should be done, if only to get someone to say, 'Ok, so our millitary intelligence is worthless...'

From James Lileks

" In the Sunday book pages of the Strib was an article about the women of Afghanistan. It was discussing the new-found freedoms of women in the post-Taliban society, about girls queuing for school after years of oppression. Quote: “No matter what one’s political misgivings about the war might be, the sight of those girls was a thrilling shock.”

That sentence stuck in my head, and made me think back to October 01, to all the discontent over the Afghan campaign. We’ve forgotten what that was like - the marches in Europe, the predictions of mass casualties, the accusations of empire-building, how it was all about (cue Twilight Zone theme) an oil pipeline, how it would become a quagmire, how it was a quagmire, how we should have used international law to bring OBL to justice. It was the dress rehearsal for Iraq. The same blind sputtering fury; the same protests with Bush = Hitler posters and giant mocking puppets; the same inability to accept that a byproduct of the campaign would be a freer society for the very people the protesters supposedly cared about.

Any mass executions at the Kabul soccer stadium recently? No?

Wonder why.
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby BenODen » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:29 am

Oh, you're right. It's not a horrible thing to have done. A mean ole dictator is gone, and hopefully soon in captivity.

Unfortunately, 'the ends justifies the means' reasoning seems to have been employed to sell the war. At this point, I don't know whether the Intelligence about the Chemical and Biological weapons was wrong, or if the Bush administration (From Bush to Cheney to Powell) used extreme embellishment to make their claims of 'Clear and Present Danger.' The best evidence we have that there was a recent danger is two trailers, which even our intel comunity can't agree on, and some warheads that had no chemicals. That's not much to go on. I'm on the edge of declaring that we won't find any more WMD or evidence of it, which begs the question: "Why were we told there's an immediate threat when there are no weapons to be found?" The nuclear issue is drawing all the fire now, probably intentionally, but it seems like there's more action elsewhere. If there was no immediate threat, we could have continued inspections until:
1) we got kicked out again (that would provide more support from the global community at that point)
or
2) more evidence showed up,
or
3) We gained wider global support for a pure regime change from diplomacy.

The UN inspectors were claiming a shell game was being played. We should have been able to catch them in the act with proper planning, misdirection and execution of the plan.

There's the question of rule of law as well. If we and Great Britain are the only ones desiring to remove an abusive government, do we have the right an authority to act under global law? It's a slippery slope we're wandering down. What of future aspiring conquerers that see that you don't have to obey the law? Heck, what of future presidents who want to barge into situations he/she doesn't know enough about? Should we give future presidents a blank check to tell us things that aren't true just to move people who would otherwise be detractors for good reason out of the way?

It is a good thing that we try to do in Iraq, but will we succeed in creating long term stability in Iraq, or will this just be a temporary thing, and all the anarchy in Iraq for naught? It's no secret that the west has a long history of intervention in the middle east that hasn't solved anything, and has probably caused problems in and of itself anyway. So many big questions...

Just my 0.02.

-Benito

<small>[ 07-29-2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Benito Of Denver ]</small>
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:19 pm

------------------
Gladly no Haggis, BUT, coalition soldier's are being killed almost every day.

The news of the death of saddams 2 sons last week didn't change anything. The peace keepers are still being ambushed and killed.
Lliam. :mad:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby jmfryar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:23 am

Actually, I thought it was very interesting that there were all sorts of claims that they WEREN'T his sons and conspiracy theories started spreading...

and conveniently a tape from Saddam comes out, acknowledging that they WERE his sons, and that they had died...

kinda convenient...

Either it is Saddam making a tactical error.
Or it's not Saddam, but he can't make that claim without revealing himself...
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby dai bread 1 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:21 am

Originally posted by Haggis:

Wonder why. [/QB]
Because the Mayor of Kabul has heaps of American troops on hand. Anyone know what's going on in Kandahar?
Omnia me Graeci est.
dai bread 1
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team