Veterans Day, 11 Nov 2003

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Veterans Day, 11 Nov 2003

Postby barfle » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:31 am

If it's not on a bumper sticker, it should be:

Nuke a gay whale for Jesus
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:33 am

Originally posted by Shapley:
"Liberal believe in passing laws at the highest possible level, and enforcing the selectively.

Conservatives believe in passing laws at the lowest possible level, and enforcing them effectively."

- Shapley R. Hunter - Oct. 1996
I believe in repealing laws at every possible level.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:12 pm

I'm all for repealing laws, but I don't see it happening very often.

My point is that if you pass laws on the Federal level, and then have to set up a beaurocracy to handle the exemptions and regional variations on the law, then you never should have passed it at that high of a level. It seems to fly in the face of the "fair and equitable" requirement of the Constitution.

I know, I know, they claim the exemptions and regional variations are necessary to make them "fair and equitable", but that's a load of horse droppings, in my view. I don't think that is what the framers of the Constitution had in mind, either.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby EJA » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:39 pm

Yeah, all we really need are the ten commandments and a little judicial discretion.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:41 pm

Sigh
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:46 pm

That would look nice on your beetle, barfle.
– EJA

EJA
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:15 pm

Err, YRH, that was a joke. Even the Mosaic Law, though comparitively brief, had a lot more to it than the ten commandments. I will say, though, that any law that does not uphold all ten commandments, yes even the ones about adultery and coveting, is deficient and will not serve its society well.

I generally agree, though, that there is way too much law in our country today. The US Constitution makes no requirement that the legislature convene regularly, but rather says, "as needed." In the thinking of our legislatures, it seems that need knows no season. I think that we would all be much better off with a few simple laws than with the legal quagmire that we have today. I think that our present law is exceedingly inequitable at times, both on the too harsh side, and on the too lenient side. One of the main reasons for this inequity is that judicial discretion has been largely usurped by the legislative branch of government. Judges hands are tied. They are near functionaries, following the detailed instructions provided by the legislature like the directions on the back of a cake mix. In other words, I think the balance of power has tipped in favor of the legislative branch, and it is leaning on our freedom.

Of course, I also want judges to remain under the authority of the Constitution of the US, as well as the state constitution, where appropriate. Judges, such as Darth Vader Ginsberg, who stand above the Constitution, passing judgment on it as though they are wiser and more enlightened than the founding fathers, genuinely frighten me.

As far as the Patriot Act, I feel reasonably safe as long as those powers are in the hands of John Ashcroft, but I shudder to think of them falling into the hands of another Janet Reno. I hate to see freedoms taken away just so that we can be safe, and frankly feel that I would rather not be safe than not be free. On the other hand, should terrorists gain the upper hand, we will most certainly not be free, so a balance has to be struck. Thus far, I am not dissatisfied with the present balance, but I expect to be so any minute.
– EJA

EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:30 pm

That's nice.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:59 pm

Laws were made to be broken...
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:13 pm

Let's see. I know how to keep a kosher kitchen. Not that I do it, but I know how. It's a little more involved than buying a second set of dishes. Can I watch while you novices figure it out?

If we're going to bring back polygyny, I'm going to insist on polyandry with it.

I'm also going to enjoy sleeping in while the men are enjoying their compulsory daily religious service. Remember, the rabbi can't start until there's a minyan. It's not optional, boys.

Oh, my. The more I think about it, the more I think we should stick to the current (less than perfect but better than many other) legal system.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:29 pm

Why does the Rabbi need a minvan?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby 1st_oboe » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:31 pm

I have foubd a website that I think fits this thread remotely well. It amazes me how the satire of Orwell written in the 40's (I think...) seems to be coming somewhat true (Patriot act= Big Brother is Watching You, etc...)

http://www.studentsfororwell.org/

A quote from the site: While Victory Gin is not (as far as we know) yet available, the sale of freedom fries is an important first step; freedom fries and freedom toast are also now available in Congress. (yes, the truth is frightening...)

I esepcially enjoy the 'goodspeak newsservice', it can translate any website into Orwell's 'goodspeak'.

Remember; Report Thoughtcrime!

Aaron

<small>[ 11-14-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: 1st_oboe ]</small>
Insert creative phrase here.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:50 pm

Originally posted by Shapley:
Why does the Rabbi need a minvan?
FOOCROFLPIP. minyan. minyan. minyan.

sort of like a quorum. Can't start without it.

<Sigh> I can see this plan is never gonna work, and here I was looking forward to the entertainment.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:57 pm

Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder! :D
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:10 pm

Remember: Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:18 pm

Selma,

Oops! ;)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:51 pm

A general noticed one of his soldiers behaving oddly. The soldier would pick up any piece of paper he found, frown and say, "That's not it" and put it down again.

This went on for some time, until the general arranged to have the soldier psychologically tested. The psychologist
concluded that the soldier was deranged, and wrote out his discharge from the army.

The soldier picked it up, smiled and said, "That's it."
:)
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:02 pm

That's what I said too! ;)
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby Jeff Dutton » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:03 pm

YRH, we all know where you stand on Christianity. Yet, in this supposedly open and tolerant forum, why can't you ever let the slightest reference to Judeo Christian ethics or religion just slide by without some kind of comment (no matter how brief - "sigh")?

<small>[ 11-14-2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Dutton ]</small>
Jeff Dutton
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:38 pm

I'll quote Ethan on this one, " That was a joke." (see previous post) You all know my view, you all know Ethan's. No big deal, I'm not stopping him from posting nor am I being rude. He knows where I stand and I know where he stands. I've also known Ethan for some time, I know there is so much more to him then his religious views. He and I have had great conversations without religion factoring in (off the BBB). I think it would be nice once in awhile to hear Ethan's point of views without such a religious edge. I know he has them because we have had these conversations in the past.

<small>[ 11-14-2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team