Can JK beat GB?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Can JK beat GB?

Postby lliam » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:40 pm

Can John Kerry beat George Bush in the US Election?
Yes
No
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Can JK beat GB?

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:20 pm

Can he? Yes, I suppose he can.

However, I find the idea of either one as Commander In Chief of the US Military Forces as being against what I feel their mission should be.

If only we had "none of the above" on the ballot. :(
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:13 pm

Who then, Barfle...?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:49 pm

Originally posted by lliam:
Can John Kerry beat George Bush in the US Election?
Yes
No
Ask again later. We should know by Thanksgiving, unless the dreaded Chad rears his ugly head again.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:18 pm

Originally posted by Marye:
Who then, Barfle...?
At this time, I find them both so distasteful that I am unable to decide, and I have yet to hear from a candidate I can support with a clear concience, his or her ability to win notwithstanding.

I miss Ike. Hell, I even miss Harry!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:12 pm

I heard Bill Maher on Larry King Live last night say he would support Colin Powell if he were running. Would that be your choice as well if it were possible Barfle?

I see you are not in the camp of anybody but Bush...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:22 pm

I would need to know a lot more about Colin Powell to know if he'd be a good president.
He's not had too much success standing up against the current administration.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:14 pm

Colin Powell seems a lot more level-headed when it comes to the use of the military, which, as you may note, is one of my major beefs with the two major candidates. But since he hasn't made very many policy statements of late, it's hard for me to say that I support his policies.

Actually, I'm waiting for the Libertarian candidate to pop out. Not that I've necessarily always agreed with them, either... :roll:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:21 pm

I think Kerry can beat GW, but like Barfle, I wonder if it matters.

From what I know of Colin Powell, he's as much a man of integrity as there can be inside the beltway. But, as Jimmy Carter(the last honest man we had in the seat of power, IMNSHO. The man had faults, but at least they were honest faults) so clearly demonstrated, men of integrity don't have enough juice to stand up to the machine. If I didn't feel like I'd be throwing my vote away, I'd run to Nader.

Where's Perot when we really need him to upset the balance? :D
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BenODen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:29 pm

Is there such a thing as a write in vote in a presidential election? I would bet we could swamp the polls if people had the option of saying, "Don't elect any of those fools, elect someone else!"

I would say that JK has a chance of beating GB, though. The more funny buisnese Bush pulls to try to sway the vote, the more people will wake up that he's a funny buisness president and refuse to re-elect him. I hope so at least.
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Mmmm, it looks like, 'Beware the ides of March Julius, I mean, George. :confused:
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 pm

When you say, "Presdient Kerry", it sounds like we've elected a former pop start to office.

<Ed: That would be Carey , fool."

"Yeah, but they sound the same.">
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Marye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:26 pm

You know Lliam, your boy Blair might suffer the same fate. Labour candidate ............ sure.

:eek:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:58 pm

Originally posted by Benito Of Denver:
Is there such a thing as a write in vote in a presidential election?
I don't know about Colorado, but there were always write-in spaces on the ballot in California, even for Presedential electors.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:07 pm

I just voted electronically last Tuesday here in California. Still has a write-in spot.

I don't feel comfortable with electronic voting. I don't feel there is sufficient accountability with the software, etc. Give me chad!!!!
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:20 pm

Just cross out one of the names and write in who you want elected even if there is no space given for a write-in candidate.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:31 pm

CAN JK beat GB? It's certainly possible. I'm solidly in the "Anybody But Bush Again" camp. I would vote for a piece of wood over GB. A piece of wood is more environmental, would not have cut taxes (primarily) for the rich, or branched out to war in Iraq.

I detest the 2-party system which is all for "team" and not for the public. I have no use for the farce that passes for politics. The empty statements and rah-rah that we see at pep speeches and nominating conventions remind me of a circus, only the clowns are the stars.

My choice for president would be John McCain, but there's no way this time. I would love to see Kerry offer him the VP position as a gesture across party lines that might help heal the divide we're in now. But, back to reality, it's JK and GB, and voting for the lesser of evils. I propose a Constitutional Amendment that GB be barred from national politics.
No Fan of GB
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:41 pm

And wait, how do votes get tallied for the correct write in candidate? All this is automatic! I want my vote for Mr. None to be added to my neighbor's vote for Mr. None!

Supposing we got beyond this tallying issue, what would happen if "None of the Above" won on election day? Surely we could get a groundswell support for that!

<small>[ 03-04-2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Benito Of Denver ]</small>
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Valerie » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:52 am

i am going to be very guarded in my response to this question, for various reasons...

frankly, i wasn't even going to post, but i read in one of the posts that jimmy carter was an honest president, or honest man? uh, no - he was not

i will not go into great detail, as i believe the board is about music or related arts issues and not politics

look at what is going on with north korea - if carter were honest and had not sold us out, much to the amazement of former president clinton (who was not happy when jimmy returned from his visit with the NKs when jimmy made all sorts of promises without consulting clinton, or even anybody in the administration) who, for whatever reason, allowed the "carter promises" to become part clinton's stance and foreign policy concerning NK

i actually felt sorry for clinton...

jimmy carter's claim to fame is his habitat for humanity project, which i support 100% - fantastic program/project - keep the government out and let the people work together to help others - what a concept...
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:56 am

I have finally found someone worthy of my vote. Too bad he's only running for governor of Texas.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Next

Return to The Debate Team