Why Not Bush

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Why Not Bush

Postby shostakovich » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Well, I'm back. I read lots of stuff in the Barracks, and I'm all tuckered out. Suffice it to say, my posts had nothing to do with accusations, interpretations, extraneous issues, or character assassination. They dealt with what Bush did between 2000 and 2003. He hasn't done anything gross in 2004 (yet). His speech writers and acting coaches have made him look and sound pretty human. I don't trust them to have that control after Nov 2. I fear 2005 if he's re-elected.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby NudewigVonB » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:50 pm

The little man (Bush) is the greatest danger that America faces today. Civil rights?--who needs 'em when Asscroft knows best; The environment?--do whatever is good for business; Tax cuts? Hock your kids future to feather the nests of the rich! Facts? Certainly not necessary for decision-making; Protestors in and out of government? Shut em up with chilling examples of persecution (i.e. head of NPS DC Park Police); Foreign Relations? Break long-standing treaties, dismantle decades of cooperation and goodwill that made America a shining light for billions of people and hundreds of countries, and make America the world's bully --hated by all but the goons who share bullying nature; and last but certainly not least: War? Good for business (especially for his veep and oil buddies), Lie about WMD and other intelligence facts; Deny CIA factual assessments and obvious failures in policy and military planning; On a personal level, duck it at all costs by joining the Guard and then avoid meetings and training.

Vote this Moron OUT OUT OUT,, Puleeze
Nudewig Au Naturale
NudewigVonB
5th Chair

Postby haggis » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:59 pm

Nude,
You picked the wrong crowd to misspell in front of.
And besides, we know who you are.... every inarticulate dork we have ever heard from…. “Asscroft” “Puleeze”

You just make me tired.
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby NudewigVonB » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:16 pm

Hey Haggis,

Appreciate your sticking to the subject and not slandering other board writers. You encourage me to write some more...maybe I can tire you out enough so that you sleep through the election. And btw, all the misspellings were for emphasis. Glad you noticed 'em!!

sweet dreams!!
Nudewig Au Naturale
NudewigVonB
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:35 am

Hi NvB,

Welcome to the pit.

JIC you hadn't had a chance to read past threads, Haggis is one articulate, well-read, hard researchin' SOG.....

...'course, that doesn't necessarily make him right.

:D

PS. While you're at it, what's your assessment of Kerry?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:53 am

NvB, are you planning to hang around long? Several of us think that spelling counts. Quite a few of us are opinionated (not that the opinions agree). And while we do have political opinions some of us try to inject some logic and reason into the discussion. At least now and then.

BTW, an unkind remark, if untrue, is slander when spoken. It is libel when it appears in print. You also made a few unkind remarks. You're in a glass house, bub. Careful with those rocks.

How 'bout that Clara Schumann?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:35 am

NvB,
Welcome.

Sincerely.

If you use an inappropriate homonym, grammar, punctuation, or misspelling, I will not criticize nor bring it to your attention.

It is clear that you are vehemently opposed to the current administration. Point made.

Had you not articulated quite so succinctly, you would not have received such an interesting reaction.

Nude,
You picked the wrong crowd to misspell in front of.
And besides, we know who you are.... every inarticulate dork we have ever heard from… .
Haggis - it is totally up to you how you respond to a Newbie, but you tend to discount people who have a difference of opinion regardless of their articulation. "Dork"...? You know I respect you but you've done the same to me and inspite of my common sense, it still stings.

OT - Haggis threw the first punch and I think he can take care of himself.

BTW, an unkind remark, if untrue, is slander when spoken. It is libel when it appears in print.
You are quite wrong. Slander and libel have to do with false statements causing harm. "Selma is the best downhill skier in the world" may be slanderous if portraying you as a skier assaults your reputation and I said it to cause you harm.

The law does NOT protect you from unkindness.

Wow you guys! Is this some kind of elite club?
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:05 am

Nude,
In spite of our differences of opinion, welcome to the bbb.com.

Haggis - more late nights and drinks?
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:31 am

Some people are really sensitive about ending sentences with prepositions...sheeeesh!

...living in glass houses...

I'm sorry, I can't get over it.

We had chickens when I was a kid.
I thought it was so cool when the chicks hatched.
I remember one chick was deformed ever so slightly.

Every morning, when I went to feed the livestock, I noticed the little chick would have small, bloody wounds. I was in a hurry to catch the school bus so I didn't give it much thought.

Saturday rolled around and I went to check on the little chick and discovered a neat little secret I'll never forget.

The old hens, all of them, were pecking the deformed chick. They pecked it to death.

I love chickens. I eat them about three times a week.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby haggis » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:11 am

Saxy, no

RC, Ad hominid attacks and mindless rhetoric invite strong responses. I suspect the timing and appearance of nude etc. was not coincidental.

If he/she can defend his/her claims with something more that bilious comments let him/her. I don’t go off on you for making a statement I don’t like because you generally make the statement in the form of a reasoned argument. I would challenge any statement made without some attempt to defend them.
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:30 am

Haggis, you do have a point. . .Nude blatantly attacked with a strong argument not supported by much evidence. . .
he/she got me all riled up too. . .

sometimes I think responding to these political threads isn't good for my blood pressure.
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby RC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:58 am

Haggis,
I think I see what you're getting at. If so, you are not quite so shallow as you once told me you were.

BUT- Ad Hominem is the process of confronting the person making the argument instead of the argument topic. I did not see an attack on YOU or anyone else involved in this thread but I did see an attack BY you! Since you didn't address NvB's specific statements, you are "guilty" of said Ad Hominem yourself. ;) Maybe intentionally. If you are doing what I think you are, I totally get it.

AND- There is nothing wrong (IMO) with simply stating your feelings - even strongly! NvB, if they are who/what you allude to, will undoubtedly run away now.

Regardless, Ad Hominem and rhetoric will do no harm to anyone that I know on this board. You are certainly free to use your own devises.
RC
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:51 pm

Originally posted by RC:
OT - Haggis threw the first punch and I think he can take care of himself.
You are quite right. Just another of my meager attempts at diffusing potential hostility through bad humor...

Also originally posted by RC:
Wow you guys! Is this some kind of elite club?
As soon as this place becomes exclusive based on people's opinions, I think it'll be time for me to find another board!
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby NudewigVonB » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:24 am

Thanks to all who welcomed this Newbie to the board. There will be no garuntees that my spelling will be perfict. Life is imperfect. After I learned that I too was imperfect, experiencing life became a great deal more fun.

As a retired scientist, I value facts. As a human being, I do have opinions. As a type-A human being, I'm not afraid to express them.

One of my strongest opinions is that major decisions affecting the lives of Americans should be based on facts and truth, not beliefs and lies. Perhaps that explains my contempt for this administration.

Nuff said, for now. Have a great weekend, ya'll.
Nudewig Au Naturale
NudewigVonB
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:43 am

Aw shux, NvB, I cain't spell to saev myself most times, and my grammer ain't none too good most times, so you won't hear no complaining from me!
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:04 am

OT, wash your mouth out with soup!
:D
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:47 pm

Stone soup!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:49 am

Originally posted by piqaboo:
Stone soup!
I hope that's not a reflection on either your (plural sense) cooking or on your grocery budget! :eek:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby The Great Carouser » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:07 pm

Stone soup is actually a folk tale, barfle.

Go here for the story.
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:29 am

And the Lord spoke to Noah and said, "In six months I'm going to make it rain until the whole earth is covered with water and all the evil people are destroyed.

But I want to save a few good people, and two of every kind of living thing on the planet. I am commanding you to build an Ark." And in a flash of lightning, He delivered the specifications for an Ark, "Okay," said Noah, trembling with fear and fumbling with the blueprints.

"Six months and it starts to rain," thundered the Lord. "You'd better have the Ark completed, or learn to swim for a very long time." Six months passed, the skies clouded up and rain began to fall. The Lord saw that Noah was sitting in his front yard, weeping. And there was no Ark. "Noah!" shouted the Lord, "where is the Ark?"

"Lord, please forgive me!" begged Noah. "I did my best. But there were big problems. First, I had to get a building permit for the Ark construction project, and your plans didn't meet code. I had to hire an engineer to redraw the plans. Then I got into a big fight over whether or not the Ark needed a fire sprinkler system."

"Then my neighbour objected, claiming I was violating zoning by building the Ark in my front yard, I had to get a variance from the city planning commission. Then I had problems getting enough wood for the Ark, because there was a ban on cutting trees to save the spotted owl. I had to convince the U.S. Fish and Wildlife that I needed the wood to save the owls. But they wouldn't let me catch any owls. So, no owls."

"The carpenters formed a union and went out on strike. I had to negotiate a settlement with the National Labour Relations Board before anyone would pick up a saw or hammer. Now we have sixteen carpenters going on the boat, and still no owls. Then I started gathering up animals, and got sued by an animal rights group. They objected to me taking only two of each kind. Just when I got the suit dismissed, EPA notified me that I couldn't complete the Ark without filing an environmental impact statement on your proposed flood."

"They didn't take kindly to the idea that they had no jurisdiction over the conduct of a Supreme Being. Then the Army Corps of Engineers wanted a map of the proposed new flood plain. So I sent them a globe. Right now, I'm still trying to resolve a complaint from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission over how many Croatians I'm supposed to hire."

"The IRS has seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to avoid paying taxes by leaving the country. And I just got a notice from the state about owing them some kind of use tax. I really don't think I can finish the Ark for at least another five years," Noah wailed.

The sky began to clear. The sun began to shine. A rainbow arched across the sky. Noah looked up and smiled, "You mean you're not going to destroy the earth?" Noah asked hopefully.

"No," said the Lord sadly. "The government already has!"
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team