Canada

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Canada

Postby OperaTenor » Mon May 02, 2005 12:13 am

GWB doesn't know the name of the Canadian PM because there isn't any oil incentive.

New term for the GWB administration: the Fossil Fuel Administration.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon May 02, 2005 12:17 am

Originally posted by nannerl:
i know the question was directed towards angie, but i'll answer too: no, unfortunately i don't know the name of your prime minister. i was wondering if you knew the name of america's president (probably, but just wondering).
Who doesn't? George W. Bush. Mind you, I can't say off the top of my head what the W. stands for.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Mon May 02, 2005 1:19 am

Originally posted by dai bread:
Just as an aside, and purely as a matter of curiosity, I didn't know the name of your Prime Minister; do you know the name of mine?
I'm embarassed to admit that I didn't have a clue, not even that there was a Labour government. Now I know that Ms. Clark is the prime minister. :o

Nannerl, welcome aboard! It's nice to see another Canuck here. It's been a couple of years since I saw the Rick Mercer bit, so my recollection has been fogged over by time, and perhaps I should give GWB the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by Opera Tenor:
GWB doesn't know the name of the Canadian PM because there isn't any oil incentive.
Ahem...from the website of the Energy Information Administration, part of the US Dept. of Energy: "Canada sends over 99% of its crude oil exports to the U.S., and the country is one of the most important sources of U.S. oil imports. During the first eleven months of 2004, Canada exported 1.62 million bbl/d [barrels per day] of crude oil to the U.S., the single-largest component of U.S. crude oil imports. Canada also sent some 500,000 bbl/d of petroleum products to the U.S. during this period, the most from a single country."

I think there must be another reason....

<small>[ 05-02-2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Angie ]</small>
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Nannerl » Mon May 02, 2005 5:00 am

thank you for welcoming me.
Nannerl
5th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon May 02, 2005 7:33 am

OT,

"the Fossil Fuel Administration"

Since the dawn of the Industrial Age mankind has relied on one sort or another of “fossil fuels”

Tsk, Tsk OT, that’s sloppy sloganeering in an attempt to score a cheap shot.

You know by now that I expect more clever and inventive snideness from you!!! :D
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon May 02, 2005 7:37 am

Well, I knew the NZ PM was a lady, but couldn't recall the name. presumably she's a Labour PM? That seems to be the rage these days
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon May 02, 2005 11:04 am

If Quebec goes, is Canada more likely to become a series of medium sized countries consisting of 1-3 former provinces, or to become three large countries (one West, one Quebec, and one East)?

RealEstate fantasy #1: CA, OR & WA secede from the US and form a union. After a few years, they use the profit from their positive trade balance to buy Baja California from Mexico. The liberal policies of OR and CA reassure BC, and they secede from Canada to join the new Union.
The new country of Beautiful Coastline dominates world trade, agriculture (especially produce and dairy), and tourism, while incorporating the initials of the northern and southern most members. Eventually Alaska kicks over the federal traces and joins the party, giving the new country the worlds largest national park system and substantial oil reserves. The US sets up an Embassy in Victoria, with maglevel rail service to Seattle every 20 min.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Mon May 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Oh, Piq, now that's a conspiracy I might go for!

There's nothing east of Quebec to make a self-sustaining country. Whether Ontario and west makes up a Canada, who knows.

However, and I might be underestimating Quebecers' anger at the rest of the country, I don't think the majority of them would go for full sovereignty (their own passport, currency, etc) over $100 million misspent (it wasn't $250 million, but hey, what's a million or so between friends?). My guess is that they'll hold the country to ransom for it, but we've been there and done that so often it's getting boring.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon May 02, 2005 12:24 pm

Originally posted by Haggis@wk:
OT,

"the Fossil Fuel Administration"

Tsk, Tsk OT, that’s sloppy sloganeering in an attempt to score a cheap shot.

You know by now that I expect more clever and inventive snideness from you!!! :D
That's what I get for borrowing someone else's slogan.....
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Mon May 02, 2005 12:27 pm

Originally posted by Angie:
Originally posted by Opera Tenor:
[b]GWB doesn't know the name of the Canadian PM because there isn't any oil incentive.
I think there must be another reason.... [/b]
Okay, perhaps it's because his handlers haven't told him...
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon May 02, 2005 1:54 pm

Canada has PMS?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon May 02, 2005 1:55 pm

What a difference an apostrophe would make...
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue May 03, 2005 4:57 am

Originally posted by Great Carouser:
Canada has PMS?
GC,
ROFLMAO - That was GREAT!
:)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Angie Parkes » Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 pm

Some countries suffer from naked aggression. Trust Canada to have PMS.

Thanks for the giggle, GC.

Among the punctuation exercises I give my business writing students is "Lets eat Grandma" and the famous "Woman without her man is nothing".

<small>[ 05-03-2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Angie ]</small>
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby freshstarz » Wed May 04, 2005 1:11 am

Hey - thought I'd add my 2 cents. I live in Montreal (although have only been here for a few months) and am not thrilled at the idea of separation. It's rising again in the polls here mainly because of the Gomery Inquisition.

Anyway - if it were to happen, I would LOVE for some weird kismet to happen and have Quebec join the EU somehow. I know - impossible, but jeez would I love to move to Europe for a while.

Otherwise - people here seem pretty split about separation. And for the record, most agree that if they do separate, it would be in semi-cooperation with Canada (not meaning that they would condone it necessarily - but would hopefully be the military, currency, and other backbone support for Quebec). Anyway - nothing is ironed out at all. We'll all be seeing what happens.
freshstarz
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 04, 2005 4:07 am

Hi Freshstarz, welcome to the Pit!

:)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Angie Parkes » Wed May 04, 2005 10:38 am

Freshstarz, welcome! I'm not real comfortable speaking for 30 million Canadians. :)

Where did you live before Montreal? Still in La Belle Province or elsewhere?
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed May 04, 2005 11:04 am

Originally posted by Angie:
Among the punctuation exercises I give my business writing students is "Lets eat Grandma" and the famous "Woman without her man is nothing".
There's also Eats, Shoots & Leaves, a book I bought for my wife last Christmas (at her request).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 am

Who's "Herman"?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Wed May 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Barfle, I have that book, too, plus lots of others. Another favourite of mine is The Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Eager, the Innocent, and the Doomed.

Haggis: ROFLMAO :D :D
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team