July 4th

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

July 4th

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:57 am

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward for evermore.

— John Adams

Psst, Mr. Adams, we have to go back into committee, George is okay with the quarter and the dollar bill but Tommy Jefferson's p***ed about Hamilton on the $10 and is holding out for the $2 to become the $25

Ahhh....The fourth I meant the fourth day of July, 1776, will be the most ....

Happy Fourth, everyone!!!! flags, hotdogs, beer and fireworks. We deserve it!!!!!!! Image
Last edited by Haggis@wk on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:13 am

Even me?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:19 am

No. You've got San Diego and piq. You already have more than you deserve.

:rofl:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Word.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 pm

barfle wrote:No. You've got San Diego and piq. You already have more than you deserve.

Quoteing for the laughs!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:01 pm

barfle wrote:No. You've got San Diego and piq. You already have more than you deserve.

Yes, even you. You still have to live under that California curse.

What do wives, earthquakes, floods and wildfires all have in common?

Sooner or later ONE of them is gonna get your house.

You, Piq and Selma are my favorite Left coast whackos.... Piq ameliorates you and her father more than ameliorates Piq.

Actually I shouldn't describe Selma as "whacko" just a comfortable San Diego smugger.

The MRHYN and my favorite movie in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD is Steve Martin's “L.A. Story”. It is the funniest quirkiest movie I believe I've ever seen, has a great sound track (well DUH, Enya...hello???) and is timeless.

And every time I see it at one point something will remind me of you guys. Hey crawling thru that damn sub was on par with roller skating thru the museum
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:16 pm

What's a smugger? Is it good? Bad?

I'll settle for low-key wacko. Several of my cousins think I'm weird. The rest think I'm dull. Depends on which side of the family we're talking about... :grin:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:What's a smugger? Is it good? Bad?

I'll settle for low-key wacko. Several of my cousins think I'm weird. The rest think I'm dull. Depends on which side of the family we're talking about... :grin:

I'm working on it. Kind of like a mugger with a wit.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:55 pm

I'll hazard a guess its someone who's comfortably complacent about living in paradise.

I liked LA Story too. We'll have to put it in the queue. Poor OT. When he gets a film I want to see, he has to hold on to it for a couple weeks, and view it in installments with me. Fortunately, he's ok with watching it more than once, so he can watch it properly the first time thru.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:14 pm

piqaboo wrote:I'll hazard a guess its someone who's comfortably complacent about living in paradise.

I liked LA Story too. We'll have to put it in the queue. Poor OT. When he gets a film I want to see, he has to hold on to it for a couple weeks, and view it in installments with me. Fortunately, he's ok with watching it more than once, so he can watch it properly the first time thru.

I'm surprised he doesn't like it better than that. Every time I watch it I see some little visual trick I never saw before. I can't tell you how many times it took before I saw the name of the hotel "Pollo Del Mar" c'mon, that's priceless.

The guy having the heart attack on the stationary bike path and someone jumping on his bike while the medics haul him off. It's just a good funny movie.....and a young Sarah Jessica Parker hotter than five alarm chili ani't bad either.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:02 am

Happy birthday America! :) Enjoy your July 4th holiday, my fellow neighbours! :grouphug:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Cat... we could take over this thread and speak about Canada Day now..... :rofl:

Did you have a great Canada Day weekend? I did. I saw a movie, had dinner and saw a play in The Distillery District in Toronto http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/, took a ferry and then cycled to and about the Toronto Islands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Islands and had a picnic. Then we sailed around the Toronto Harbour and anchored over night at the Spit surrounded by more bird life than you want to know about.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Street_Spit

It was relaxing and wonderful. I am now looking forward to my month off in August to sail to the Thousand Islands - last wiki link :wink: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Islands

What have you been doing?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:48 am

President Calvin Coolidge rose to the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1926, with a speech providing a magisterial review of the history and thought underlying the Declaration. His speech on the occasion deserves to be read and studied in its entirety. The following paragraph, however, is particularly relevant to the challenge that confronts us in the ubiquitous variants of progressive dogma that pass themselves off today as the higher wisdom:

About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter.

If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people.

Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.

During this time when so many Americans refer to the Constitution and attendant documents as “living,” so often meaning “changeable to meet OUR interpretation.” I think it is important to reflect on what direction those changes would go.

Personally, there is little doubt in my mind of which direction they would desire. I don’t have any trouble with those words of our Founding Fathers and the concepts they were endowing on the world after millennia of oppression and rule of arrogance. I also think I have as good a grasp upon those words as anyone, including a lot of “Constitutional scholars.”

If there are events in our history as a race that convinces one of the existence of divine intervention, surely this was one of them.

How many armed revolutions in the history of our race led to the betterment of the people?

Damn, damn few.

And I can't think of one prior to ours that gave the power to govern to the governed.

Happy July Fourth
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:17 pm

Marye wrote:Hi Cat... we could take over this thread and speak about Canada Day now..... :rofl:

Did you have a great Canada Day weekend? I did. I saw a movie, had dinner and saw a play in The Distillery District in Toronto http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/, took a ferry and then cycled to and about the Toronto Islands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Islands and had a picnic. Then we sailed around the Toronto Harbour and anchored over night at the Spit surrounded by more bird life than you want to know about.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Street_Spit

It was relaxing and wonderful. I am now looking forward to my month off in August to sail to the Thousand Islands - last wiki link :wink: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Islands

Mary,

My Canada Day long weekend was great also!

We watched a couple of movies, went for a seafood dinner, and went to the Osborne Street Festival.

My fiance, her son and I are off to Family Camp in Riding Mountain National Park (2nd year me!) starting July 8th. Really excited!

Plus, we get possession of our house at the end of July!

:D

What have you been doing?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Piq,
I'm actually leaning in this direction for a definition of a "smugger".

At least as it pertains to Selma. Although kicking would be replaced by that muthern' killer bag she's been observed in the company of.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:48 pm

That's no <what the heck did he call it?> bag. It's an Executive Tote. Says so right on the pattern.

I'll admit that the Laurel Burch fabric is exceedingly cheerful. I'll also point out that my sister the biology teacher picked the fabric and presented it with the pattern as a birthday gift.

You might consider bestowing a pattern and fabric on the MRHYN. It's a world-class carryall and you can actually find things in it. Including the hammer, the crescent wrench... :crazy:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:51 pm

Now that I think about it, I would definitely not whack a burning terrorist with my bag. Might poke him with the purple paisley cane.

Really, though, if the dude is already on fire he's probably not going to notice.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:That's no <what the heck did he call it?> bag. It's an Executive Tote. :

Well, I was kinda wondering what that meant! :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team