Memorial Day

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Memorial Day

Postby GreatCarouser » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Shap, I'd be greatly surprised if you couldn't find some organization you trust (Smithsonian?..just to pull a name out of the air as a broad example) who would be willing to authenticate/exhibit these photos once they prove to be what they appear to be. Just a thought as a possible solution.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Some could be uploaded to http://www.navsource.org
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:26 pm

One of the individuals reminds me of Blackjack Pershing

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Some could be uploaded to http://www.navsource.org

That looks promising. They appear to have few photos that pre-date the Sino-Japanese War and World War II. I think I could also provide the CO's name(s) for 1929 - 1931. I have the Christmas Dinner programs for those years, which list the CO and other crew members.

I've scanned one of them, including the crew list. I'll post it to my Facebook photos as soon as get to faster computer (probably Monday).

I've also scanned the Massacre photos. I hope to upload them to Photobucket at the same time.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 pm

The remainder of the photos have been uploaded. Most of them are on the facebook album previously linked.

The more disturbing photos can be viewed here:

USS John D. Edwards, 1929 - 1931 WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS

I have contact NAVSource.org to see if they have any interest in them.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

I did hear back from the folks at Navsource. They have updated the C.O. information for the John D. Edwards, and used one or more photos on the page. (I saw the photo of DD-333 and DD-334 in the Panama Canal on those destroyers' pages.)

I've sent them the link on the rest of the photos.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Yet again I am amazed at what people will do in time of war.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 am

dai bread wrote:Yet again I am amazed at what people will do in time of war.

Most disturbing to me was the room full of little children, looking as if they are starved (it was about the fifth from the last on the 2nd page).

I never knew of these pictures when my great-uncle was alive, so I never had the opportunity to speak to him about them. I did not know him until later in life. When I was growing up, he lived in Florida and Louisiana. He moved back to my hometown after he retired, and settled into the small house his father had built when he retired. I was working for my father at a service station at that time, but left shortly after that to work for the Hammond Organ Company. I saw him on periodically, usually at my grandfather's house, but we didnt' talk much. I then went into the Navy for six years, and don't recall seeing him but once during that time.

Some time after I left the service, my father told me 'Uncle Shap' had just been released from the hospital. We dropped by for a visit, and stayed for a couple of hours. There we were, three generations of old sailors, but we talked mostly about family and people we had in common. I wish now I'd asked him more about his time in service, but I guess it never occurred to me that his time on Earth was growing short.

There are few, if any, of the American sailors that plied the waters of China in the turbulent years between World Wars I and II remaining. No doubt, their stories are fascinating. Sadly, I never took the time to learn his.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am

Yes...the children's pictures are most disturbing. Men/soldiers at least understand the rigors of war and the consequences. Children are just victims. Every time I see pictures like these I just have to wonder what happens to humanity in war or conflict. I don't understand how anyone could become so calloused and inhuman.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am

Bill O'Reilly said he would pay the court costs but it is still disgusting.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 am

I am a staunch supporter of freedom of speech. My understanding is that the funeral was/is a private affair. I don't understand why the protestors were able to win this on a free speech basis. If this was a public arena or something I might agree...but a private funeral? Talk about adding insult to injury.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 pm

There's always someone...

Single-issue people are a menace, no matter what the issue may be.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 am

Apropos the W. VA. mine tragedy it is appropriate remember the words of Tommy Armstrong, the Pitman's Poet:

God protect the lonely widow,
Help to raise each drooping head;
Be a father to the orphans,
Never let them cry for bread.
Death will pay us all a visit,
They have only gone before;
We may meet the Trimdon victims
Where explosions are no more.

Those words were written after the Trimdon Grange Disaster of 1882 and have lost none of their power. Even though safety techniques have made mining a much safer profession, explosions are an ever-present danger in mines.

God bless the families of Montcoal.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 am

Very sad for the families. Sounds like the mine operators had more than their share of safety violations.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Its painful to listen to the news stories. Obviously the known death toll and impact on families but also -
today the reporter was trying to make it sound like there was a chance for the 4 'missing' miners, but his words dont add up.
They may have O2 'for several hours', need to drill 'through more than 1000 feet of coal' to reach them, and 'not safe to start drilling operations'.

I only hope he misspoke at first, and that its O2 & water sufficient for days.
China had a big mine disaster end of last week too.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 pm

I read that most of the Chinese miners were saved. That must be something of a first for them. They have the most dangerous mining operations in the world.

That West Virgina mine didn't get good reports in my paper. Apparently they were pretty slack in their safety matters.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 am

Lt. Steve Zilberman RIP

I saw this story and was moved. Lt. Zilberman, a US Navy Hawkeye pilot lost an engine while returning from a mission. He fought the controls long enough to let his three crewmates bail out, but did not survive his water landing. He leaves behind a young wife and two young children.

Also, there is a fund you can donate to for his kid's college education. See the VAW/VRC Memorial Scholarship Fund here.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Pretty amazing story and a tribute to those who strive to bring every one of our Fallen home. America has a contract with its servicemembers. She will always remember them and always try to bring them home, dead or alive.

Release No. 04-08-10
April 30, 2010

Officials identify Airmen listed as MIA

WASHINGTON (AFRNS) -- The remains of eight U.S. servicemen, missing in action from World War II, have been accounted-for and returned to their families for burial with full military honors, announced Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office officials.

The group remains of Lt. Jack S. M. Arnett, Charleston, W.V.; Flight Officer William B. Simpson, Winston-Salem, N.C.; Tech. Sgt. Charles T. Goulding, Marlboro, N.Y.; Tech. Sgt. Robert J. Stinson, San Bernardino, Calif.; Staff Sgt. Jimmie Doyle, Lamesa, Texas; Staff Sgt. Leland D. Price, Oakwood, Ohio; and Staff Sgt. Earl E. Yoh, Scott, Ohio, and the individual remains of Lt. Frank J. Arhar, Lloydell, Pa., were buried April 30 in Arlington National Cemetery. The individual remains of Lieutenant Arnett and Sergeants Yoh, Doyle and Stinson were buried earlier by their families.

On Sept. 1, 1944, their B-24J Liberator bomber was shot down while on a bombing mission of enemy targets near Koror, Republic of Palau. Crewmen on other aircraft reported seeing Lieutenant Arnett's aircraft come apart in the air and crash into the sea between Babelthuap and Koror islands. Two parachutes were spotted, but none of the 11-man crew ever returned to friendly territory. An aerial search was unsuccessful, and more thorough recovery operations could not be conducted because of Japanese control of the area.

Post-war Japanese documents established that three other members of the crew survived the crash but died while prisoners of the Japanese. In 1949, the American Graves Registration Service declared the remains of all 11 crew members to be non-recoverable.

In October 2000, a team from the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command mounted several investigations on Babelthaup Island to attempt to locate several reported mass burial sites. A team returned in November 2001, but their excavation did not recover any material or biological evidence indicating a mass burial. They returned again January 2004, and shortly before the team completed their excavation, they were contacted by a private wreckage hunting group called the "Bent Prop Project" which had discovered the wreckage of a B-24 on the ocean floor four miles northeast of where a diagram from U.S. records indicated a crash site. The JPAC team examined the wreckage and recovered remains.

Divers from JPAC and the U.S. Navy examined the underwater site again in 2005 where they recovered more remains and material evidence. After safely stabilizing the underwater site, the joint JPAC-U.S. Navy team dived on the site again in early 2007 and recovered additional remains. The joint team returned again in 2008 and recovered more remains and evidence.

The use of mitochondrial DNA analysis from the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory, the biological profile of the remains, dental records, material evidence including machine gun serial numbers and identification tags of Lieutenant Arnett and Sergeants Doyle and Yoh enabled JPAC scientists to establish the identifications.

For more information on the Defense Department's mission of accounting for missing Americans, visit the DPMO Web site at www.dtic.mil/dpmo, or call 703-699-1169.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm

With your shield, or on it.

May they rest in peace.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team