Modern Medicine

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Modern Medicine

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:45 am

There was such a risk, in parts of Africa and Asia.

Jamie, thats good news.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:42 pm

piqaboo wrote:There was such a risk, in parts of Africa and Asia.

Sub-Saharan Africa, yes, as the article points out. Also Haiti. The risk never manifested in Asia. The WHO and other organizations feared that it would manifest in Asia because of the population density, but it did not. It is true that a large number of South Asians, particularly in India, have been infected and died. However, as a percentage of the population, the infection rate there is only about half that of the United States. Two-thirds of all infections have occured in Sub-Saharan Africa, where the disease remains concentrated today. The global threat to heterosexuals was overstated. That is what the WHO is saying now.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Shap, it reads like you are going in circles. There was a threat. It didnt materialize. That doesnt mean the risk/threat was not present. The large number of Europeans who visit Thailand, for example, were sufficient to create a risk that the problem could occur in Europe. Thailand has a large HIV problem, and it is a heterosexual one. Africa, Asia, Europe is close enough to global for me.
Me, I'm happy the risk stayed theoretical.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 pm

NEW YORK (AP)
A city Health Department study finds that more than a fourth of adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes genital herpes.

The study, released Monday, says about 26 percent of New York City adults have genital herpes, compared to about 19 percent nationwide.

The department says genital herpes can double a person's risk for contracting HIV.

Herpes can cause painful sores, but most people have no recognizable symptoms.

Among New Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black people and gay men.

The health department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing.

“Sex And the City”?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:07 pm

U.S. Life Expectancy Tops 78 For The First Time

Interesting. Despite all the hype and hoopla, gloom and doom, dread and despair, it seems we are living longer.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:NEW YORK (AP)
A city Health Department study finds that more than a fourth of adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes genital herpes.

The study, released Monday, says about 26 percent of New York City adults have genital herpes, compared to about 19 percent nationwide.

The department says genital herpes can double a person's risk for contracting HIV.

Among New Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black people and gay men.

The health department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing.

“Sex And the City”?

If I travel to Hartford, should I take the long way around New York? ....................TM?..... :|
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:18 am

Serenity wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:NEW YORK (AP)

“Sex And the City”?

If I travel to Hartford, should I take the long way around New York? ....................TM?..... :|

Stats can be manipulated for presentation purposes...
I find it quite alarming that 1/4 of ALL people in NY...

As of July 1, 2006, the population of the City of New York was 8,250,567

That would mean approximately 2,062,641 people were infected as of 7/1/06

A huge number...

Take the Long Way! We are a friendly city...
but be careful......
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:43 am

EWWWWWW!!

Human infected with hookworms have reduced allergies

Many of the people who were given a placebo have requested worms, and many of the people with worms have elected to keep them,” Dr. Pritchard said.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:51 am

Haggis@wk wrote:EWWWWWW!!

Human infected with hookworms have reduced allergies

Many of the people who were given a placebo have requested worms, and many of the people with worms have elected to keep them,” Dr. Pritchard said.

I've found that getting stung by wasps has cleared my sinus problems. I've noticed this several times over the course of a few years. I seem to get stung at least once a year. Last year I read that scientists were studying wasp venom as a treatment for allergies.

Bee stings are also reportedly good for arthritis....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:55 am

UGH. I think I'll stick to sudafed and tissues. I am not sure that compromising your own immune system is a great idea in the long run
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 pm

I think I'll stick with my generic Claritin clone. Yecch, indeed!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 pm

IT'S ABOUT TIME:

From what has been called a perfect storm of disgruntled patients, legislators and medical professionals, the quality movement in health care has been born.

Thanks to its efforts, those hospital walls are slowly becoming transparent. Revealed is a world of tangled routines, many obsolescent, many downright stupid, that no one had carefully examined. The reformers are out to streamline the routines, retrain the workers and keep them permanently on display — an ant farm behind clear glass — to make sure things never get out of control again.

One of the most divisive arguments I ever had with the MRHYN was when she was aware of a significant medical mishap and did nothing to bring the incident to the attention of hospital administration. I won’t go into the details but for the first time in our relationship I realized that our values could clash and could clash dramatically.

The fact that I came from a law enforcement background where revealing misdeeds and misconduct was a good thing while she came from a medical professional mindset that united together to protect members of the professional from the rest of us “crocks” certainly didn't help.

I was later gratified when she identified another nurse who was deliberately inducing labor without the physicians knowledge or permission.

But until she “retired” we had uneasily agreed to disagree and not talk about it.

I hope this “perfect storm” bring more sloppiness under the bright light of scrutiny.

(Ed. "And you better hope to hell she doesn't see this post...")
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
(Ed. "And you better hope to hell she doesn't see this post...")

:rofl: I've posted a few like that too... hoping that my better half would not navigate there...
:rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:00 am

Okay, this is more than a little disturbing.

Two researchers speaking at different hacker conferences revealed that they have learned how to turn off implanted pacemakers by remote control.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:13 pm

IS THE FDA getting too cautious in drug approvals? If it is, people will die who shouldn't. But it's less likely to get blamed.

The problem has been magnified in recent years as the number of new drug approvals has fallen dramatically. The FDA approved just 16 new drugs last year, and is on pace to approve only 18 this year. That's down from a high of 53 in 1996 and 39 in 1997.

After a few high-profile drug scares, such as the 2004 withdrawal of Vioxx from the market, FDA officials have become gun-shy about approving new products. After all, the agency receives scathing criticism from Congress and the press when an approved drug turns out to be more risky than expected -- but rarely for keeping beneficial ones off the market.

Last year alone, the FDA rejected five new cancer drugs, including a breakthrough treatment for prostate cancer called Provenge. A panel of cancer experts that advises the FDA on new drug approvals unanimously agreed that Provenge was safe, and voted 13-4 that it was effective enough. But the FDA demanded still more testing that may delay approval for three years.

In three years, a lot of people will die who might otherwise be saved, quite likely more than would die from even a "dangerous" drug given today's standards. But the politics are different. This has been my fear for a long time. If no new drugs get approved there will be no criticism of the FDA. It seems that's the plan.

Given the average age and sex of most of Congress it's rather surprising that a new prostate cancer drug wasn't fast tracked, I'm sure Viaga was!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Okay, this is more than a little disturbing.

Two researchers speaking at different hacker conferences revealed that they have learned how to turn off implanted pacemakers by remote control.

There are doubtless some low-lifes around who'd relish that kind of power.
Fortunately it takes some sophistication to do it, which naturally filters out 99% of the sickos.
Anybody that clever would probably look instead for something to get them on the evening news or bring them money.
The same sort of hacking technology lets them read RFID bank cards now from several feet away with a handheld scanner - now that's scary. I heard on evening news mention of IRA debit cards - can you imagine the risk of having THAT in your wallet ???

On pacemakers - they're getting more robust.
I stress tested mine a while back - working on an outboard motor, reached around to tweak the carburetor and got across a sparkplug. About eight pulses went in one hand and out the other, right across the pacemaker just below my collarbone..
I was due a routine check a couple days later so asked the technician to give it a thorough looking over. When I told him why he just winced.

I don't worry about microwave ovens anymore....

from Haggis' FDA link, one line resonated with me:
"And why is it not their right to decide?"
How did we let Big Brother get in such firm control?
Medicine oughta be based on good faith best effort not fear of torts.
That's why we make it so tough to become a doctor, to keep out the flim-flam men.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:56 pm

"...mention of IRA debit cards".

Irish Republican Army? Are they raising funds again? :wink:
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 pm

dai bread wrote:"...mention of IRA debit cards".

Irish Republican Army? Are they raising funds again? :wink:

Individual Retirement Account. Though it might be different in Boston... :wink:

The slowness of approval for useful new drugs is appalling. On the other hand, we have lawyers trolling for class-action clients all the time, and I'm all for tort reform to shut this sort of thing down. Anyone with any sense knows that if a drug is strong enough to modify a disease process, that it is strong enough to produce side effects. Heck, everything has side effects. Tylenol. Aspirin. Everything.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:The slowness of approval for useful new drugs is appalling. On the other hand, we have lawyers trolling for class-action clients all the time, and I'm all for tort reform to shut this sort of thing down. Anyone with any sense knows that if a drug is strong enough to modify a disease process, that it is strong enough to produce side effects. Heck, everything has side effects. Tylenol. Aspirin. Everything.

Television is full of ads from law firms telling us "If you or a loved one has been prescribed...., you may be entitled to compensation. Call the law offices of Shyster, Thief, and Crook today to find out if you're elibible."

Of course, I've also grown tired of the ads telling us to "contact your doctor to find out if Damitol is right for you."

There's nothing legally wrong with either approach and, if the doctors and the lawyers are doing their jobs properly, then calling the law office or asking the doctor will only result in those actually a candidate for the goods or services will be left after the screening.....

If they're doing their jobs properly......
Last edited by Shapley on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team