Welcome Back Shos

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Welcome Back Shos

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:22 pm

BYW, welcome back. Did you get your slides copied? I was really interested in that project since I am facing a similar one myself. I have my fathers slides going back to 1957 when we were in Libya up until the 80s then my slides starting in the late 70's until the 90's

Please post something about the project, the hows and whys, details etc. I'm sure it will be very interesting.

Cheers,

haggis
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Welcome Back Shos

Postby shostakovich » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Haggis. Thank you for the warm welcome. With the help of my computer-literate son I have been able to get slides onto DVDs. He gave me a long, involved set of instructions, which I use as a cook book, without much understanding of the procedure. The project that I took a year off for had to do with art-music presentations that I developed in slide-tape format some 30 -35 years ago while I was teaching. Ten of them have been converted to DVD.

One of them is Paintings that Inspired Music. The first 3 works are by Botticelli that Respighi enshrined in sound. The program also includes a short excerpt from The Great Gate of Kiev with Hartmann's painting and a long excerpt from Isle of the Dead with Boecklin's painting. In all there are 10 paintings with the music they inspired. As an encore I tacked on Don McLean's Vincent with a series of van Gogh paintings of my choosing.

Another is Ravel and Relaxation. This consists of Introduction and Allegro for Harp, Flute, Clarinet, and String Quartet followed by several baroque favorites with mostly landscapes. What a pleasure it is to bring some music into the Debate board. Thanks for asking.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 am

Where can we see these?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi BigJon. I hadn't thought of putting them on the net. Maybe my son can help me do that when he gets a chance, and if it isn't too much trouble.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am

Once its digital, there are lots of places to put it on the net. How long is each segment?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:05 pm

They're all (except one) 45 min, with "margin of error" 5 min. Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team