The Next Vice-President?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The Next Vice-President?

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:02 pm

OperaTenor wrote:Always nice to see you're showing me how to be properly respectful, Shap. :roll:

You're welcome. :?:

As for the dress, the word is that Michelle Obama has tried to use relatively unknown American designers for her clothing, and she apparently gets essentially all of her clothing from US makers(not bad for a terrorist's wife).

It is, after all, the pioneers that get stuck with all the arrows.....

Haggis, I don't get the point you're trying to make about them flying separately.

He has campaigned, in part, on a platform of energy-efficiency. In that regard he is starting out by showing himself to be as much a hypocrite as Al Gore.....

If they did for security reasons, so what?

Then, it would have made more sense for them to ride in seperate limos than seperate planes, since logic would dictate that they are in more danger on the ground than in the air. The thinking behind it seem to be bass-ackwards. Unless, of course, the duties of the First-Lady-Elect are so pressing that their schedules simply did not permit traveling together..... :roll:

As far as the victory speech is concerned, are these nits we need to pick? Is this going to determine the man's worth as POTUS?
Yes.

Or should I be thankful this is the worst we have to worry about?
No.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 pm

OperaTenor wrote: Haggis, I don't get the point you're trying to make about them flying separately. If they did for security reasons, so what?

Yeah, security, that's why Laura never traveled with her husband..oh, wait.

No biggie, I just thought it was weird. I'm sure I'll find much larger issues to obsess over in the next four years. :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
OperaTenor wrote: Haggis, I don't get the point you're trying to make about them flying separately. If they did for security reasons, so what?

Yeah, security, that's why Laura never traveled with her husband..oh, wait.

No biggie, I just thought it was weird. I'm sure I'll find much larger issues to obsess over in the next four years. :rofl:

Um, the Obamas aren't riding around in AF-1 just yet, are they? Also, I believe Obama right now has a bigger target on his back than GWB ever had.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Shapley wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:I also thought it odd that she wasn't with him during his victory speech, isn't that typically done with the family around?

I believe it is typically done on a crowded stage, surrounded by all those who made the victory possible. I gather that Mr. Obama does not like to share the limelight. As I said, this is a man who has written, to date, two books about himself. He seems to be his favourite subject.....

I'm surprised you haven't written one about yourself or your ideas........
or are you working on an unabridged encyclopedia of your life? :wink:

Sorry, that was a bit rough but why did you assume that he walked on stage on his own because he is "all about himself and does not want to share his limelight"? Come one! You can't be serious!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Serenity wrote:Sorry, that was a bit rough but why did you assume that he walked on stage on his own because he is "all about himself and does not want to share his limelight"? Come one! You can't be serious!

Yes, I'm serious. I'm hardly the first person to comment that President-Elect Obama seems to have a pretty large ego.....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:03 am

Shapley wrote:
Serenity wrote:Sorry, that was a bit rough but why did you assume that he walked on stage on his own because he is "all about himself and does not want to share his limelight"? Come one! You can't be serious!

Yes, I'm serious. I'm hardly the first person to comment that President-Elect Obama seems to have a pretty large ego.....

Name one president who didn't have a large ego.

I believe it's one of the prerequisites.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:28 pm

OperaTenor wrote:
Shapley wrote:

Name one president who didn't have a large ego.

I believe it's one of the prerequisites.

Where do you draw the line between being self-confident and being egocentric?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:14 pm

I suppose it would be once a person began abusing self-interest.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

OperaTenor wrote:I suppose it would be once a person began abusing self-interest.

:?: :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Serenity wrote:Where do you draw the line between being self-confident and being egocentric?

Politics is a team sport. Certainly campaigns are team efforts. The victory celebration belongs to everyone who made it possible. Most candidates take the moment of victory to share the spotlight with them, particularly since many of them will fade into the woodwork for the next three years or so....

There's nothing immoral or improper about it, I just think it is another indication that President-Elect Obama is a self-centered individual. He may yet prove me wrong, or he may prove me right while proving that it is immaterial to the duties he is assuming. Time will tell.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:04 am

Governor Palin Conducts Interview While Turkey Is Slaughtered in Background.

I said a while back that I think it's time to end the turkey pardon charade and teach kids where their food really comes from. Apparenlty, even though she followed the tradition of pardoning a turkey, Gov. Palin was content to let reality intrude on the niceties of political correctness. Good for her, I say.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am

Shapley wrote:Governor Palin Conducts Interview While Turkey Is Slaughtered in Background.

I said a while back that I think it's time to end the turkey pardon charade and teach kids where their food really comes from. Apparenlty, even though she followed the tradition of pardoning a turkey, Gov. Palin was content to let reality intrude on the niceties of political correctness. Good for her, I say.

OMG...that was hilarious! SNL could not have set that up better. :rofl: :rofl: :lol:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:37 am

jamiebk wrote:OMG...that was hilarious! SNL could not have set that up better. :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

I pardon this turkey.... but that fellow over there is headed for the dinner table.

If you could speak turkey, you could probably hear the poor critter pleading for a gubernatorial pardon just before his execution....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:31 pm

The turkeys were probably willing to go just so they wouldn't have to listen to her voice anymore.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:30 pm

What was that guy doing? Was he bleeding the turkey's blood into that basin? :cry: I feel ambivalent. Wouldn't you struggle for your life if someone hung you by your ankles, sliced your jugular veins and waited for your blood to drain as you lost consciousness? When I taste Tommy Turkey next Thursday, this video will pop in my mind and I may just feast all vegetarian and still feel guilty knowing that I "pig out" while others in the world are starving.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:48 am

Yes, he was bleeding the turkeys out. If you'll notice the second turkey bucked several times in convulsions.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am

It's now mainstream.

These are some of the headlines:

· TURKEYS DIE AS GOVERNOR PALIN TAKES QUESTIONS FROM MEDIA
· GOV. SARAH KEEPS TALKING WHILE TURKEYS GET SLAUGHTERED BEHIND HER
· GOV. PALIN APPARENTLY OBLIVIOUS TO TURKEY CARNAGE OVER HER SHOULDER

What did you expect her to do? Intervene? Call the state police?

Are these people living in denial, imagining that their food is manufactured in factories somewhere?

Beats me.

I read about this before I bothered to watch the video, and I thought it would be much worse. Color me underwhelmed.

If this is what twisted the MSM’s knickers, then make sure no one ever takes them to an industrial-scale slaughterhouse. This is basically free-range handling. We’re not seeing vast machinery beheading a string of turkeys in an assembly-line process.
One man butchers a turkey for food (two, actually), and everyone gets the vapors. Have any of them ever eaten meat? At all?

I’ll be home with my family for thanksgiving. We will be enjoying all of the trimmings as well as the traditional turkey, and I doubt that any of us will be surprised to learn that someone killed the turkey before we shoved it into the oven.

Our grandparents are laughing at us.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Sure, turkeys are pretty easy to dismiss, especially at Thanksgiving. Oh those wimpy liberals are trying to ruin Thanksgiving for my family! How come we don't eat horse meat for Thanksgiving? How come we don't cook Dog meat for Thanksgiving? I'm sure dogs are plentiful. How far are you willing to go? Why not take people on death row for meat instead of wasting all that protein? What the heck! You could practice your gun skills by shooting them yourself by giving them a running chance out of prison!

I think Nana and Papa laugh nervously.
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:35 pm

"Soylent Green" re eating processed people, and something else whose name escapes me about giving people a head start and then hunting them. More than one story, if memory serves, which it isn't at the moment.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:15 am

name escapes me about giving people a head start and then hunting them.

would that be "Most Dangerous Game" ??? i remember reading that short story as a teen...
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team