Veteran's Day

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Veteran's Day

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 am

Happy Veteran's Day to everyone. A special tip of that hat to those who have served!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: Veteran's Day

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 am

I think I "know" more former G.I.s here than in any other online social environment.

I heard Oliver North on the radio this morning and he said that after WWII we had 16 million people in uniform in a country of 132 million and everyone knew someone in the military. Today in a country of 310 million we have less than 1.5 million people in uniform and less than 3% of Americans actually knows someone in uniform. Heck, I spent 28 years in uniform and I'm down to 3 people I know who still wear a uniform including my broker's son who I email but have never met. The other two were guys I worked with and both of them are nearing retirement.

Do you know someone in the military?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

I hae a nephew in the Navy now, and a couple of my friends have children in the service. I can't claim to know anyone serving in Iraq or Afghanistan at the moment, though.

We're Navy family, for the most part. We seem to always have at least one member of the extended family serving at any given time.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Happy Veteran's Day, all y'all, Shapley, haggis, OT, and anyone I am forgetting to mention by name.
As Altoid said to her dad this morning - we're much happier thinking of you today than we would be on Memorial Day.

San Diego is rife w military types, but I know few currently active, personally. Odd. Then again, I dont get out much
Husband of fellow PTA board member - just got promoted to chief petty officer.
Co-worker no longer in uniform but served in Iraq early on. Still in the reserves.
Marine Colonel no longer singing in our church choir - they got transferred.
The "mean" gradelevel-teacher-in-my daughter's-school 's husband just deployed to Afghanistan (round III for him).
Didnt get to meet him first. Had her over for dinner Halloween.
Ex-bf still in naval reserves 20 years after 6 years active duty.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team