Libya Next?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Libya Next?

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Libya protests: 140 'massacred' as Gaddafi sends in snipers to crush dissent

Women and children leapt from bridges to their deaths as they tried to escape a ruthless crackdown by Libyan forces loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

I suppose all the people I knew in Libya as a kid, Selma, “Captain” Mohammed, “Private” Mohammed (police officer cousins), Fatima, and “cat lady’ are probably dead, especially “Captain” Mohammed, he was a mid level police officer in 1958 and I suspect he didn’t survive the bloody transition to power by Gaddafi, maybe his lower ranking cousin “Private” Mohammed did. Mom swore he looked like Cesear Romero. Look at the pictures and judge for your self.

Dad and "Captain" Mohammed

This was Fatima, our neighbor's maid

From left to right

"Captain" Mohammed, Selma, me, Mom, my sister and "Private" Mohammed. Selma and the two men were all cousins. I suspect that the western wear among women in Libya is a thing of the past.

Mom, Selma, Capt. Mohammed making tea, and my sister.

This is forty feet below the suface. Dad's friend (they were in WWII together) my sister and Mohammed, the troglodyte.

This is Mohammed, a troglodyte in the west Sahara. My family and his became very close quite by accident. We would drive around and one day my father gave him a ride to his "home" and he insisted on giving us tea. We went to a large hole in the ground with a side tunnel leading to the bottom and then saw individual caves dug off from the bottom of the hole. All the caves I remembered were whitewashed and the cave of the troglodyte we visited (Mohammed) was decorated with an empty red box of "Tide" detergent. On a second visit my mother brought a bigger, full box of “Tide” and it replaced the smaller box on subsequent visit. You can see the original, smaller box on the floor of the cave.

When Mohammed came to harvest olives in Tripoli he just assumed we were his host and he'd sleep on the floor of our apartment for the week or so required for the harvest. Selma swore he was going to cut our throats as we slept and at night you could hear her moving furniture in her room to block the door.

I had a marvelous childhood. I thought all kids lived in the North Africa desert and hung around with the Foreign Legionnaires!!

Mom and I at the ampitheater of Sabratha.

I mourn for Libya and it’s people. It was a magic place to grown up in and exciting to a book worm kid who loved reading about desert adventures, plus, I was convinced that Tarzan’s jungle was only a few miles that way. I played in the Roman ruins of Sabratha and Leptis Magna.

I've always wanted to take the MRHYN to Libya for a visit and I'd hoped that eventually there would be a peaceful transition to a government more amenable to the U.S. and I could get tourist visas. Alas, that now seems to be a forlorn hope.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Libya Next?

Postby dai bread » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 pm

The crack-downs will be brutal now. The kleptocrats who run the other Arab countries will have learnt fast. Let's hope the people keep their nerve.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 am

Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Your childhood does sound wonderful, haggis. Similar to your post about visiting Libya,
I used to read about the glories of Beirut, and have such a hard time reconciling the city as tourist destination with the news every day.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team