Bulletin Board Signature

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Bulletin Board Signature

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:43 am

Is it possible to configure the signature on the bulletin board profile such that it won't update all of them automatically? I think it would be preferable to be able to see old signatures on old posts, especially when there are comments made regarding them.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Re: Bulletin Board Signature

Postby piqaboo » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:59 am

I'd particularly like to follow Selma;s series about the printers!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:58 pm

Yup, quotes staying as they were originally set might be nice.

About those printers, though. I've found one of those Phaser 4400 printers set up in the Loggies' area. The wretched thing only prints on letter size paper. Won't do legal (is that legal?) and won't do ledger.

Reduced schematics and signal flow diagrams will get us a rash of complaints. But the real aggravation will happen first time somebody sends an F sized drawing to the plotter which formerly occupied part of our floor space and gets the drawing printed on letter sized paper.

Monday, I'm bringing earplugs, Excedrin, and a microscope. I expect to make a fortune renting the microscope out to desperate engineers, and selling earplugs and Excedrin to the guys on the help desk.

For myself, I have a plan of sorts. I'm just going to abandon paper altogether, publish my manuals to pdf format, and let the users figure out how to generate any paper copies they might need. Acrobat doesn't care what size a "page" is, and you don't have to fill the paper bin.

I'll probably get an award for saving the forest. Anybody know where I can get a spotted-owl doll? I'll park it under the Shrubbery, next to the Drunk Stoned Singing Janis doll.

I feel like I'm lost in a Dilbert strip.

<small>[ 09-06-2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Selma in San Diego ]</small>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:23 pm

Heh heh, my 8200 (the 850 won't) will print on legal size paper, but it will only use 8.5 x 11" of the page :roll: . It's a function of the size of the drum. The way that thing works is it piezo-electrically squirts hot wax (the name "Phaser"
comes from the phase change – solid to liquid to solid again – of the wax) onto a stainless-steel drum, thus forming the image, and then rolls it onto the paper. (Incidentally when a Phaser has a paper jam, it will always ask for a "cleaning page" because the wax dries on the drum, and in that state it doesn't transfer to the paper very well.) It can't produce an image longer than the circumference of the drum, or wider than the width of the drum. Fortunately, I don't need prints larger than 8.5 x 11". There are some tabloid-sized color printers that Xerox has branded as Phasers, but they are true color lasers, not wax phase-change. The phase-change printers provide richer color than the true lasers, and they are cheaper to run, but the wax can be scraped off of the page, you can't hot laminate the prints (well you can, but it looks awful), and if you fold a print in the middle of an image, there will be an ugly fold line.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:01 pm

Acrobat is looking smarter and smarter. Those things are wax printers? These aren't the color printers! The printed pages are going to be stapled, spindled, folded, etc. This deal is just looking better and better and better.

I'm ordering a Flintstones typewriter bird for myself. I'll bet he'll peck out any size output I need. And work cheep!

Some genius checked the price and decided what to buy, and never even read the user requirements on this deal.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:40 pm

Oh, mea culpa! It looks like the Phaser 4400 is a monchrome laser printer. See, originally Phaser was a Tektronix brand, and the name was only applied to their wax phase-changed printers. Then Xerox bought out that line, and for a while, Phaser referred only their wax phase change printers. Then they confused the issue by calling some their color lasers Phasers. Now it looks like they've added monochromes to the line, too, so now I don't know what Phaser means.

Boy, this is really related to Bulletin Board Signatures isn't it? But it's Selma's fault; I just played along with the hijacking. (I caught that cheep pun, too, Selma. Remember how you used to complain about my puns? It was just because you were a formerly-reformed-now-reverting punaholic, wasn't it?)
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:00 pm

Does this mean I get to hand off the title?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:18 pm

Multi-Phase response: It's piqaboo's fault, she asked about the printers, set me off big-time. It's a hot button right now, and I'm scheduled for IT geeks in my cubicle tomorrow. Erk.

I'd take the day off if I weren't so terrified of what they'd do, unsupervised.

No, OT, you are still the primo thread pirate. I don't qualify. No macaw.

And no, Ethan, I'm not a reformed-and-reverting punster. I don't give up addictions. Sometimes I outgrow them, usually not.

I simply ascribe to the belief that the perfect pun should inspire groans and shrieks of agony from the other punaholics, as the audience stampedes from the room.

Well, at least the Phasers won't give us print that melts in August. <sigh>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:05 am

I'm touched and honored to be credited with inspiring such a well-done and amusing rant. :D :D
I'm also "tetched", but thats a different story. ;)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:43 am

Hi Piqaboo,

I have a question for you. Could you e-mail me at vjboydston@juno.com?

Thanks.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Return to Helping Hand