Mozilla FireFox

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Mozilla FireFox

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:35 am

Originally posted by Serenity:
All the utilities I downloaded seem pretty nifty and seem to be doing some furious problem-solving and fixing but when it's all done, the response time of my PC is incredibly slow.

I cannot click on a link to open it in a new window. I cannot perform a System Restore. I can't re-install the printer software off the CD.
Serenity,

I have had similar problems with my PC at home and it is still running slow and freezing up.

How much RAM to you have?
Was speaking with a friend here in the office and he said that you need at least 512mb of RAM to run.

Also:

Go to Start
Run
MSCONFIG
check the "Startup" tab.

This will tell you how many processes are opening and running when you boot you computer up. I had to turn off half of what was in the startup of my machine. Some programs that are downloaded from the internet automatically themeselves in your startup process. This causes a longer time to boot the machine and then these processes are running in the background eating up the memory on the machine.

My machine only has 256mb of RAM with a 1.5Gig processor.
I am in the process of checking that there is expansion capability in this machine.

Also going to set the Service Pack back to SP1.
Since December when I upgrade the platform to Microsoft SP2 the machine has been running way too slow.

I hope this helps.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:31 am

My machine objected strongly when I tried to re-set my start menu and I had to re-set everything back to the way it was. There's a lot in my start-up program, and I wonder how much I really need, but as it only takes a couple of minutes or so to get ready, I'm going to leave it alone and be patient.

IMO the wisest decision I made when I specified this machine was to get 512K RAM. The only thing I've found that it won't handle is high-definition video. For that I need a 2.4mhz processor or better, and mine's only 2.0.

<small>[ 04-06-2005, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: dai bread ]</small>
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:13 am

Originally posted by dai bread:
My machine objected strongly when I tried to re-set my start menu and I had to re-set everything back to the way it was. There's a lot in my start-up program, and I wonder how much I really need, but as it only takes a couple of minutes or so to get ready, I'm going to leave it alone and be patient.

IMO the wisest decision I made when I specified this machine was to get 512K RAM. The only thing I've found that it won't handle is high-definition video. For that I need a 2.4mhz processor or better, and mine's only 2.0.
dai,
copy the program name from the startup tab after running msconfig and put it in Google's search engine. It brought me to a library site that tells you if the .exe is critical or non-critical when booting up. Example - we have msreader on the computer. It was in the startup of the program and ran in the background everytime I turned the computer on. It now only runs when you actually start the program.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:39 am

my eye keeps running across the above post on "today's active topics" and seeing
"bread machine". I keep thinking this is the recipes thread. :D
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:28 am

I got my web pages to refresh faster but everynow and then everything will freeze up except the mouse; can't drag and scroll, can't soft reboot...have to "Kill the Power!" (in the voice of Yosemite Sam).

My BSOD is almost always Disk Writing error. I've trimmed my startup considerably but I couldn't find that library site, TM, that tells you whether a file is critical during bootup or what the file does.

I tried posting at 11:59 on "The Last One to Post..."thread but the screen kept freezing up. There must be some files missing or misplaced that the operating system keeps looking for and can't access. I can't click on links and open them up in another window; I have to re-type them in the URL address.

I'm moving (according to the builder) in a couple of weeks. I'll have to get a new ISP for the area. I've already ordered a new laptop with Windows XP. Then I'll have time to play with the desktop; I intend to "slice-and-dice it".
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:07 am

Serenity,
Not sure if this will help.
Check your Virtual Memory and Registry Size.
Depending on the specs of your machine this may play into part of what you are experiencing.
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:09 am

Serenity,
Not sure if this will help.
Check your Virtual Memory and Registry Size.
Depending on the specs of your machine this may play into part of what you are experiencing.
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 pm

Regedit.exe is 124KB
Virtual Memory is 32bit and 128.0MB but I've never had a sudden change in performance until recently.

Computerhope.com has a fair amount of practical advice and explanations of computer terminology, operating system and other device files.

Thanks TM. would you happen to know what controls the opening of internet links in new windows?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:29 am

Serenity,
I will have to ask around here to see what controls open internet links in new windows.

Sorry but I don't know.

What I have learned is from some folks here who work on the desktop PCs.

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Tools/Options/Advanced/Tabbed Browsing
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:46 am

Thanks RichC. My version of Internet Explorer 6.02800 does not have the Tabbed Browsing option. The closest I see is "Enable Page Transitions".

My PC is working fine today. Internet pages are loading quickly and I can now click on links and have them open in new windows. I was able to re-install my printer software from CD after several failed attempts over the past week. The only thing I tried today was to re-download Internet Explorer 6 and do a few windows updates. That seems to have made a difference.

It's late now but tomorrow I will try to scan the disk for errors and defragment, both of which have proved unsuccesful to fix BSODs in the past.

Thank you also TM.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:11 pm

Today I successfully ran Diskscan followed by Disk Defragmentation. It took about 4 hours. Now Windows Media Player stalls when trying to "connect" to the point I have to soft reboot. So, I can't listen to B.com....and I'm starting to get cranky. Also, the System Restore feature is still not working. It will start but I can't set the computer back in time nor create a restore point, or activate the option. Uninstalling WMP and re-downloading didn't help.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:53 pm

Having installed Firefox, I find I'm using it more than IE, but I have found an oddity.

I have recently changed my ISP, and in the course of editing my profile, I found that I'd lost my photo.

In the course of fiddling around, I found that the photo comes up perfectly well if I go to BR using IE, but not if I use Firefox. If I try to go to the photo site using Firefox, I need a whole new membership! The photo is on MSN, which is probably why.

Do I need a new photo site, or does anyone have any ideas?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:14 am

Ugh.
There must be some incompatibility between MSN and FireFox, so I'll bet you'll have to switch web hosting service if you wish to keep using FF.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:05 am

I have both FF and IE and neither gets a picture in your profile, dai.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 am

Hi Dai.
Im at work using IE 5.5 and I cant see your picture either. (Unless you are a red x ?)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:12 am

I am a Shapeshifter, evidently.

With MSN, you have to register to see the photos. It's not satisfactory, frankly, so I'll keep looking.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:38 pm

Has anyone with Windows ME lost the System Restore feature? How did you reinstate?

I can't listen to B.com with WMP; the computer freezes up when the player window is "connecting..." and then I have to soft reboot. I think I have tracked down the problem to the fact that I can't seem to use System Restore feature; I think it is a registry problem because when I downloaded WMP it took an extremely long time and the first thing the download does is to try to set a Restore Point; and that failed but it downloaded the player anyway. I have not had time to troubleshoot because I moved, maybe I will find some time as I'm settling in.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:40 pm

Serenity try 'Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-and this last menu should include 'System Restore.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:17 pm

System Restore is not able to create a Restore Point. Please restart your computer and choose System Restore again. It has no previous restore points and it will not create a restore point. Somehow I have to get a working backup copy or troubleshoot the problem with Microsoft ( :eek: ) I'll let you know what this entails. In the meantime, I've found a new music station labelled OPERA on the cable TV that I can listen to while I fix this problem.
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand