Tired of being helpless with Windows

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:28 pm

analog wrote:Naveenth - I have been trying to find affordable Linux - where'd you get yours? Redhat is aimed at resellers not end users.

I'm a first time Linux user myself. I was recommended Ubuntu because it seems to be the most beginner friendly.

You can download (~700 MB) a LiveCD of Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/ , or you can order a free copy from their Ship It service. The problem with the second option is that it may take a long time for the CD to reach you. They have two CD's, one a LiveCD, which you can boot from the computer without affecting your existing installation - a preview of sorts, then install if you like it. I personally had problems using the graphical installer from the LiveCD (that's just me), so I used the Alternate CD with which you can do a text install. I had no problems with that.

Actually, I had installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu's variant that comes with KDE by default) earlier, which was comparatively faster, but I did a mistake somewhere trying to get my screen resolution right, which ended with some error occuring when I tried to install again.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:24 pm

Perusing the ubuntu website - I rather like them so far.

"We are, therefore I am" -- cool!

Thank you verrrrryyy much for that pointer. I have another machine - think I'll download that cd and experiment with it.

Thanks again -

a. :D
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:37 pm

analog wrote:Perusing the ubuntu website - I rather like them so far.

"We are, therefore I am" -- cool!

Thank you verrrrryyy much for that pointer. I have another machine - think I'll download that cd and experiment with it.

Thanks again -

a. :D

Still getting used to it. Just went to gnome-look.org to get a modern theme and a somewhat matching wallpaper. Installing a new theme is as easy as changing a (desktop) wallpaper! Btw, you can install Real Player for Linux, too, and therefore you don't need Windows to listen to B.com. :D
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Helping Hand