BBB down

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:36 am

although I did not post yesterday....
I did not experience a slow board when reading through the threads.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Again, totally impossible during the day, working fine at night.

Maybe the office is taking more steps to degrade my working conditions. :curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby CLarsen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Barfle,

That's odd because it is working fine over the net from here, maybe it's a routing problem somewhere between your office and our servers. Can you surf the rest of our website without any problems? Thanks!

:pray:
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby BigJon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 pm

I had problems with really slow response in the mid-day on the 12th. I wasn't on today until now.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 pm

I tried to get on the BBB earlier today, and it was taking five minutes or so to show a page, and even then the page was often incomplete. I could see that the last message on the page had no text and didn't even have the background colors in it. Refreshing usually made it worse. Now that I'm using my FIOS connection at home, it's fine. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the proxy server or other routing at the office. Other sites mostly work OK, although I'm also experiencing the same thing on one other site.

A belated happy Valentine's Day to all. It's not my fault I'm late. Really. Honest. I mean it.

Chris, I'll see if I can poke around the rest of beethoven tomorrow, but I may not be able to respond until evening. :curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:02 am

I have had no problems or issues here (San Francisco) and have been tapped in through proxy servers etc. In fact, I was just thinking the other day what a great job you guys do maintaining your website. With the streaming, BB, and "now playing" items this probably takes some doing. Those of us who listen regularly through the web appreciate your efforts. :bow:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Barfle,

All of a sudden today.... migrating through the threads is going slower.
Not what you are experiencing... but taking longer than normal.............

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 pm

The entire website is almost useless during the day. It took me two refreshes, each of which took almost five minutes, to get to this page. As I'm typing, I have no idea if it will post, or even if I'll be able to tell.

But I don't think it's on your end. It looks like another dose of CS from the IT department. :crazy:

Of course, listening is catch as catch can. :crazy: :crazy:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:43 pm

barfle wrote:The entire website is almost useless during the day. It took me two refreshes, each of which took almost five minutes, to get to this page. As I'm typing, I have no idea if it will post, or even if I'll be able to tell.

But I don't think it's on your end. It looks like another dose of CS from the IT department. :crazy:

Of course, listening is catch as catch can. :crazy: :crazy:

Barfle,

It's about 5:40PM EST..... the issue I had earlier today is gone....

Are you logging onto B.com from work?
If yes, then is it possible your companies internet pipe is saturated?

I only ask this as I am FTPing large files over the internet and
been advised I'm eating up bandwidth.....
Just a thought.....

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 pm

TM, yes, I was logging on from work, and it was like watching paint dry. Other sites, for the most part, worked fine. The one other that did not was classmates.com, who have recently changed their bulletin board software, providing their paying users with a variety of glitches, new requirements for posting (like having to title every message with at least three characters :?: ), and generally throwing a monkey wrench into everything. It's even bad from home, so I blame them.

Now that I'm home, all is lovely, I'm listening to "Dance of the Hours" (just missed Polovtsian Dances - drat!), and I have bandwidth and performance like I should.

Like I said, I think it's CS from IT. The tech sites work fine. :curse: But when it comes to "give me a break," it doesn't seem to be office policy. Oh well, six more years and I'm drawing a pension.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:25 am

barfle wrote:TM, yes, I was logging on from work, and it was like watching paint dry. Other sites, for the most part, worked fine. The one other that did not was classmates.com, who have recently changed their bulletin board software, providing their paying users with a variety of glitches, new requirements for posting (like having to title every message with at least three characters :?: ), and generally throwing a monkey wrench into everything. It's even bad from home, so I blame them.

Now that I'm home, all is lovely, I'm listening to "Dance of the Hours" (just missed Polovtsian Dances - drat!), and I have bandwidth and performance like I should.

Like I said, I think it's CS from IT. The tech sites work fine. :curse: But when it comes to "give me a break," it doesn't seem to be office policy. Oh well, six more years and I'm drawing a pension.

Barfle,
Hope the BBB issue gets resolved soon for you...

Six Years.... Wow... Wish I was that close.... :D
I graduate later this year to be eligible for AARP.
:crazy:

Also, I dropped RadioPass as it kept throwing me out and I would
continually have to log back on.... Been using the free Windows
Media Player to listen to B.com with very few problems......

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:...Wish I was that close...

Heh, heh, heh. :gloat: My "eligible for retirement" date is 5 October, 2003. Of course, the pension won't maximize until 2012. Still, I've got this sign that I posted in my cubicle:

I'm CSRS.
I'm over 55.
Comp date 1971.

Go ahead. Bug me.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:27 pm

I remember when I started working at Huge Aircrash back in 1967, just a few months before the SSS offered me a different sort of position. I got a raft of paperwork, including one that was my retirement plan, which said my estimated retirement date was October 1, 2012. It seemed like forever away. Now it's an approaching stealth bomber.

Speaking of retirement, I think I'll start another thread...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 am

Again, it's so hard to use from the office that it's not worth the bother. :curse:

It took me forty minutes of refreshes to get the reply page to the point it was usable. I'll keep trying, and maybe someday they'll let me use the BBB.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:04 pm

I made the serious error of attempting to post from the office today. It's quite frustrating to be able to hear the stream, but not participate in the discussions. And when I started poking around this evening from home (where I have nothing in my computer or network to cripple phpBB), I noticed that there were entries in threads addressed to me, but the threads weren't marked as having new entries. I guess just looking at a forum from there marks the whole thing as being read.

So if you left me a message and I didn't respond, blame the IT department at the USPTO, please accept my apologies, and try again.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 am

barfle wrote:I made the serious error of attempting to post from the office today. It's quite frustrating to be able to hear the stream, but not participate in the discussions. And when I started poking around this evening from home (where I have nothing in my computer or network to cripple phpBB), I noticed that there were entries in threads addressed to me, but the threads weren't marked as having new entries. I guess just looking at a forum from there marks the whole thing as being read.

So if you left me a message and I didn't respond, blame the IT department at the USPTO, please accept my apologies, and try again.

Unfortunately, I have just the opposite problem....As of yesterday, IT managed to block B.com (and others) streaming. I can still get on the BBB, but am so sad that I can no longer hear the stream. :x :x I hate our IT Nazis. Does anyone know of another link that will sneak through?
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 am

jamie,
Here's a low-tech solution:
Can I listen to your station if I'm behind a firewall at work?

Unfortunately, some businesses do not allow employees to access internet radio streams at work, and disable such streams in their firewalls. This is considered a bandwidth issue. If you are behind a firewall, and you are having trouble connecting to *********, you might nicely request that your network system administrator make an exception for you. Tell him/her that our bandwidth is relatively small, and it will make you much more happy in your work.

:D

P.S.:Taken from another online radio's FAQ page.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:54 am

Jamie - see if there's an update to the version of media player that's on your machine. Tell IT nothing you don't have to, and if you have to ask them to install the media player update for you claim to be playing CDs and tell 'em that Outlook hangs when you are playing the songs. Have a CD in the drive when you make the call. I've hand our guys' firewall fail to recognize the newer versions of player as a blocked utility, a couple of times in the past.

Telling IT "it's only a little bit of bandwidth" would be, in my opinion, unwise.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:18 pm

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! I am back to listening (at least for the time being). I took the bull by the horns and did a little "re-working" of my internet options. I disabled a proxy server (probably the firewall and bingo...B.Com nicely streaming againg :neener: :chestbump:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 am

Finally, a Music Log I can follow! I kept wondering what I was listening to.....now I can keep up.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand