Missing Scott

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Missing Scott

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

Is Scott on vacation? I hope so.
I have sent in a few requests and received no responses.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Re: Missing Scott

Postby Sire de Coucy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

When I also noticed the music log was incorrect, I called in after getting no replies to emails. Also noted the webcam was covered up. Spoke to a man I thought was filling in, who told me that Scott has left the company, and that a number of things are being revamped, including the music log and request system. No specifics given at the time. Was glad to know music log/display not working properly but not sure when it would be fixed. Station not quite the same. No offense to the person now on, I don't know him but first Nicole Marie, then Scott and I noticed the web domain beethoven.com is for sale. Unsure how long to expect to be able to still listen. Oh...one more thing. Even though we are paying for the commercial free stream, we are now getting the commercial stream. Hope it gets better or at least lasts.
Sire de Coucy
5th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 am

Sire de Coucy wrote:When I also noticed the music log was incorrect, I called in after getting no replies to emails. Also noted the webcam was covered up. Spoke to a man I thought was filling in, who told me that Scott has left the company, and that a number of things are being revamped, including the music log and request system. No specifics given at the time. Was glad to know music log/display not working properly but not sure when it would be fixed. Station not quite the same. No offense to the person now on, I don't know him but first Nicole Marie, then Scott and I noticed the web domain beethoven.com is for sale. Unsure how long to expect to be able to still listen. Oh...one more thing. Even though we are paying for the commercial free stream, we are now getting the commercial stream. Hope it gets better or at least lasts.

Very unfortunate.
I had sent in numerous requests with NO RESPONSE.
You would think a reply to your paid customers would be in order. I guess not.

If they continue to ignore the paid subscribers, I will probably cancel my subscription. (maybe that is their goal)

Thanks Sire de Coucy.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:32 pm

I hate that Scott has left. He was doing a fine job. I hope he's moved up, and not just out.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Sire de Coucy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 pm

It may be that they have experienced a shakeup across the board. I happened to look at their FM site "The Rock" and it appears to have been completely revamped as well. Perhaps it is just some dust settling right now. As to where Scott went, I don't know. I don't want to run the new gent into the ground without a good hearing either. I just don't know him. I don't even know his name as I haven't heard him say it on air. I believed that Nicole had a great depth of knowledge due to her being a musician, and Scott had a good sense for classical music as well. Just not sure what to expect.

TM I hadn't cosidered that it may be their goal to get rid of users. Given that the music log and display on the windows media player has been off for so long, I'm wondering if the shakeup was much more than just Scott. When they started the $10 service, there weren't many alternatives. Now there are several like calmradio.com, classicfm.com, etc. At least at classicfm.com there is a real announcer/dj 24/7. They also have announcers who really know and can discuss in depth classical music from all periods plus they regularly sponsor classical music at Royal Albert Hall in London. I've been able to pick up their magazine at B&N and their CD's are usually well made.

I'm having a difficult time giving up on Beethoven.com. I've been listening a very long time. Perhaps this is just a bump in the road. BTW I happened to check and the domain site may take a while to sell. The current asking price is $125,000.00.

SdeC
Sire de Coucy
5th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 am

Shapley wrote:I hate that Scott has left. He was doing a fine job. I hope he's moved up, and not just out.

DITTO. Scott will be missed...... and I pray he has gotten an opportunity that accelerates his career!!!

The biggest issue I have now is that the paid subscribers are being ignored. (IMHO)
No response to music requests letting us know the "format" is changing...
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 am

Shapley wrote:I hate that Scott has left. He was doing a fine job. I hope he's moved up, and not just out.

DITTO. Scott will be missed...... and I pray he has gotten an opportunity that accelerates his career!!!

The biggest issue I have now is that the paid subscribers are being ignored. (IMHO)
No response to music requests letting us know the "format" is changing...
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:27 am

Sire de Coucy wrote:I don't want to run the new gent into the ground without a good hearing either. I just don't know him. I don't even know his name as I haven't heard him say it on air.

I agree, we should provide the new host the opportunity but it appears the approach needs to be looked at. I have been listening for years, going back to when they had multiple hosts, Dan in the morning, Nicole in the afternoon, and I believe Scott started out in the evening slot. Then they cut back.....

TM I hadn't cosidered that it may be their goal to get rid of users. Given that the music log and display on the windows media player has been off for so long, I'm wondering if the shakeup was much more than just Scott. When they started the $10 service, there weren't many alternatives. Now there are several like calmradio.com, classicfm.com, etc. At least at classicfm.com there is a real announcer/dj 24/7. They also have announcers who really know and can discuss in depth classical music from all periods plus they regularly sponsor classical music at Royal Albert Hall in London. I've been able to pick up their magazine at B&N and their CD's are usually well made.

I'm having a difficult time giving up on Beethoven.com. I've been listening a very long time. Perhaps this is just a bump in the road. BTW I happened to check and the domain site may take a while to sell. The current asking price is $125,000.00.

SdeC

I was pushing friends and family to subscribe to B.com when they retired the free stream. I truly believe they carved a niche in the format and it has been enjoyable over the years. I have even stated that I would pay more for the subscription if they needed to raise prices to maintain this service. What bothers me and what I do not understand is WHY would you piss off your paid customers? UNLESS, the plan is to get rid of the classical format and they want to lose customers via attrition.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Sire de Coucy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

TM I must agree with you that it seems sensless to aggrivate those who pay for the service. I would also pay more for the type of programming we are used to hearing, but not if they are going to broadcast the sports games from west Hartford as they did years ago. I thought we were paying for music.

Will keep listening to see what happens, but not sure at this point where it's headed.
Sire de Coucy
5th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Sire de Coucy wrote:TM I must agree with you that it seems sensless to aggrivate those who pay for the service. I would also pay more for the type of programming we are used to hearing, but not if they are going to broadcast the sports games from west Hartford as they did years ago. I thought we were paying for music.

Will keep listening to see what happens, but not sure at this point where it's headed.

I will be disappointed IF management changes their format and we can no longer request music. That has always been the fun part of this radio station.....

A few years ago, (due to cost) they stopped the Free Stream for cost purposes and steered listeners to the Paid Subscription.
I signed up as I fully support Beethoven Radio and love the format.

As I stated, I had sent numerous requests recently WITHOUT ANY RESPONSE. This is a poor way of treating customers.

There is a solution.... cancel my subscription and listen to another channel.....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 am

Did your request get played, despite the lack of response? I made a request a while back and, though I did not get a response (which may have been spam-filtered out), they did play the request within the hour. It's possible it was a coincidence, since the music log was not working and I could not read the 'requested by Shapley' note if they posted it, It did get played, though it was not an uncommon piece. I think it was the Princess Mononoke soundtrack, which they play fairly often anyhow...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 am

Shapley wrote:Did your request get played, despite the lack of response? I made a request a while back and, though I did not get a response (which may have been spam-filtered out), they did play the request within the hour. It's possible it was a coincidence, since the music log was not working and I could not read the 'requested by Shapley' note if they posted it, It did get played, though it was not an uncommon piece. I think it was the Princess Mononoke soundtrack, which they play fairly often anyhow...

I was sitting here for 2 hours and it was not played...
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm

That's not good.

I notice that the 'now playing' window has worked all day today, though.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Sire de Coucy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 am

After listening and watching the music log, I think something weird is happening. I've called the studio and made requests and were told they would be on, but they aren't. Coupled with the fact that the music log has been off, I'm wondering if a wire is crossed and we are accidently getting the commercial stream, which isn't getting requests. Could have been as easy as a switch being thrown by someone who didn't know what it did. I've read in the Hartford paper several stories about shakeups at WCCC-FM which has apparently alineated several listeners there. One link is here: http://courantblogs.com/java/changes-at ... -anywhere/

I also decided to write a letter to Woody Tanger, the chaiman of Marlin Broadcasting just to tell him what I perceive as wrong on the station since Scott left and the changes took place. I wasn't agressive in it, but felt as someone paying for the service that I had a voice. I discussed that we were hearing the commercial stream while paying for commercial free, discussed requests not being put on, among other things. Unfortunately if they don't clean it up, I'll end up voting with my pocketbook. I don't think losing my $10 a month will break them, but they have much more (and cheaper) competition now than when the pay stream started.

It's sad to see such a good thing go by the wayside. I remember clearly when Nicold had the mornings, Scott the afternoons and Stew filling in. Sad.

SdeC
Sire de Coucy
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 am

I've only been tuned in for about an hour, but I've not heard any commercials. The 'Now Playing' window is lagging behind the music (which was not uncommon in the past, but seems to be more frequent, now).

I was not a listener when Sir Stew was on, though he did some fillers later, as I recall. I remember when Dan Maselli was on, he used to bring us some new and interesting music, such as Giles Apap, Presenter, and a few others that elude me just now. He may have 'pushed the envelope' a bit, but it generally worked.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:07 pm

I remember back when Dan was the morning host, Nicole in the afternoon....
Then Dan left.... and Nicole took over tha AM slot. Scott took over in the afternoon....

Remember, they let Scott go, changed to format to one host for the day (shorter hours) and thats when Nicole hosted the whole enchilada...
Then she left and Scott took over the entire hosting process...

I'm with you.. my $10 would not break the bank... BUT if they continue to screw this up.... and ignore their paying customers....
Well.... they will not have paying customers....

UNLESS... this is intentional, and they make it so bad that the listeners quit, and then they can close down the stream...

I would not put that past management... IMHO....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I think they can shut down the stream at any time, they would simply stop billing at the end of the month and shut it down, they wouldn't need everybody to quit first.

I'm sure they're still fighting financial problems. I'm not sure if the handful of listeners paying are enough to cover the cost of the stream. Maybe they're not sure, either. $10 a month doesn't go far these days...

I'll listen as long as they keep the stream. If they end it, I'll find something else, or go back to listening to CDs. Just as long as they cancel the auto-billing when and if they cancel the stream, I'll be okay with it.

I've tried other streams, but haven't found one I like.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 am

Shapley wrote:I think they can shut down the stream at any time, they would simply stop billing at the end of the month and shut it down, they wouldn't need everybody to quit first.

I'm sure they're still fighting financial problems. I'm not sure if the handful of listeners paying are enough to cover the cost of the stream. Maybe they're not sure, either. $10 a month doesn't go far these days...

I'll listen as long as they keep the stream. If they end it, I'll find something else, or go back to listening to CDs. Just as long as they cancel the auto-billing when and if they cancel the stream, I'll be okay with it.

I've tried other streams, but haven't found one I like.

I agree with you...
We can always stay connected with all our B.com friends through facebook. We could start a B.com "alumni" group....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:I agree with you...
We can always stay connected with all our B.com friends through facebook. We could start a B.com "alumni" group....

Well, we have the bulletin board page there, though it's usually kind of quiet. Maybe we should make an effort to post there at least once a week, to kind of stir it up.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:54 am

Shapley wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:I agree with you...

Well, we have the bulletin board page there, though it's usually kind of quiet. Maybe we should make an effort to post there at least once a week, to kind of stir it up.

Yes! :-)
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Next

Return to Scott Birmingham