OperaTenor

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: OperaTenor

Postby owlice » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:30 pm

The zip code for OT's current place of recovery is 92103.
owlice
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:36 pm

Hi All,<P>Sorry it's been so long. Lots of excuses and to cite them doesn't change the fact, so I won't take the time. Once again, thank you all so much for the prayers and well wishes, and especially Donna for assuming the reporter role.<P>Shos, at the time I was getting Percocet orally (virtually ineffective) and Dillodid(sp?) intraveneously (wonderful stuff). The Trauma team would come through and discontinue the Dillodid and then my surgeon would come through and reinstate it. This went on for a couple of days until I very loudly chewed out one of the Trauma guys.<P>Ethan, Oxicontin, yeah baby!!<P>Mmd2b, I did indeed fib up my pain level. The Trauma wallies tried to tell me it was okay if my pain was at a 6 or 7!!!<P>I'll post when I can.<P>Jim :)<p>[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:27 am

Those trauma docs are probably hardened against fakers complaining about pain that when a normal person in actual pain asks for pain meds, they probably underestimate the actual pain level and thus you sat there in agony. I won't get to be in the ER until my 4th year (in 1.5 years) if I ask to be placed there (I probably will just for the experience and to say that I survived a stint in Charity ER). I'll probably be the one drugging up my patient with pain meds that if they weren't addicted before they met me, they will be afterwards since I personally can't function when in pain and I hate to leave people in pain (or inflict more during those fun exams of "Does it hurt when I push here on your newly stitched up surgical incision?"). I'm sure I'll get yelled at for giving too many pain meds by my attending and everyone else who works at the hospital. Ah, the joys of being at the bottom of the medical totem pole. That hospital staff sounded like they lacked communication if they were stopping and starting the good stuff. I wonder when I'll get yelled at by a patient for the first time (screaming babies and toddlers don't count). Well, first things first...exams this friday on antibiotics and the bugs they kill. :(
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby EJA » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:17 pm

After a couple orthopedic surgeries, it's my opinion that orthopedic surgeons don't have any idea how much pain they cause their patients. Perhaps it's vengeful of me, but I'd kinda like to see the roles reversed. I bet they'd sing a different song if they had to be the subject of an orthopedic surgery as part of their training. <P>You're on oxycontin, Jim?? That's pretty seruous stuff. It can be addictive if abused and consequently has a substantial street value. It is similar to oxycodone, but not nearly as long acting. Oxycodone worked best for me of the various pain medications they tried. I found morphine to be miserable stuff; the pain was still their, but I was too confused to say anything about it. Plus, it had some undesirable side effects. Codene worked fairly well, but not nearly as well as oxycodone. I had an epidural for my most recent surgery, and while that lasted, I was nearly pain-free. That was excellent. The best thing about oxycodone was that I did not find it to be the least bit addicting. <P>Speaking of yelling at medical personnel . . . I'm afraid I may have nearly ended a budding medical career when I was being transfered from a gurney to bed while still under anesthesia. Some poor candy striper tried to support the leg that had just been operated on. I let out a scream heard all across the fifth floor of the hospital. I remember the moment of pain (it's my standard for a "10"), but not the scream. The other thing I remember is wondering, as the world spun around, if that leg was still attached. The next day I found out that the poor girl had been mortified. I felt terrible, but I just didn't have control of my faculties at the time.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:04 pm

Ethan, I'm afraid that just goes to illustrate the old maxim: No good deed goes unpunished.<P>I feel sorry for you and the poor girl you scared out of her wits.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:53 pm

My friend's 3 year old daughter has a scream that could scare anyone away from pediatrics...probably even scar them for life. Oddly enough, the latest in her medical adventures ended with her screaming now when she saw the needle during the blood draw but at the end when they showed her a bandaid. Interesting child to say the least. I worked as a nurse aid (1 small step above candy striper I guess) and it was mighty fearful to touch anyone who had ortho surgery and patients got pissed at me for following the dr. orders for ambulation and the like...as if I was there to induce pain on purpose. Needless to say, I hated working on that floor...though those plexipulse things for the feet and legs were mighty intriguing to me...I wonder if they were beefed up how good of a leg and foot massage I could get. Or during those last hours of my day next year on the wards, if I could slip into a room, slap those on, and get a nice foot massage as a reward for not killing or otherwise marring someone that day. I suppose the sharper image or brookstone probably sells something like that already. But as people who had to use them for a real purpose tell me, they're not all that great and rather uncomfortable. Well, all this rambling won't get those damn bugs and drugs into my dissolving neurons.

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby owlice » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:43 pm

OT,<P>How ya doin'? Is there anything you need or would like to have there that can be sent?
owlice
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:02 pm

OT Update:<P>He's on the move again! Next Tuesday he's moving back to Escondido to an assisted care facility:<P>Garden Park Villas At Escondido<BR>1342 N Escondido Bl<BR>Escondido, CA 92026<BR>760.480.8155<P>Their webpage sez: "For seniors seeking a casual lifestyle, ..." Hmmmm.<P>Oh, and the latest on his condition: He had a bladder infection that just cleared up. And, a pulled muscle in the pelvis area.<p>[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: dkm32 ]
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:56 pm

OUCH, Jim. I'm reminded of the day Prokofiev, a highly regarded international composer, died. He had the bad luck to die the same day as Stalin, and was relegated to the back pages. Except for loyal Donna, this thread has dried up. But, Jim, it took a war to put you on a back burner. Hope to see you back soon.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby owlice » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:17 pm

Donna,<P>Thanks for the update! Dare I ask how the recovering OT pulled a muscle .... ? What the heck's he doing, anyway? :)<P>Is there anything he'd like to have that we can send him? A reminder that spring has sprung? (Does he have allergies? Pollen always heralds spring for me!)<P>On the spring note, I heard spring peepers last night for the first time this season. <P>Shos,<P>I've been checking this thread regularly, waiting for an update. Will drop a card in the mail to OT tomorrow.
owlice
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:49 pm

Hi All,<P>Sorry it's been so long since my last. Donna, I'd say ribs at Fat Ivor's on me when all of this is over, but I've heard it burned down. Can it be true??! I am deeply grateful for all you've done for me trough all of this.<P>Owlice, thank you and Owlet for the get well cards you keep sending. The one from Owlet was adorable!<P>As for me, I seem to be back on track as far as recuperation is concerned, and it will be something like four weeks before I can put weight on my pelvis. It's hard to believe it's been 2 months! At this point I'm something of an impatient patient!<P>I'll post when I can.<P>XOXO, :cool:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dkm32 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:36 pm

Yep, best rib eatin' joint in San Diego is but a pile of ashes. Even Stuart Anderson (Black Angus) loved Tommy's ribs! (The Fat Ivors's in Oceanside is still open ;) ;) ;) !!!)<P>Fat Ivors is right across the street from Corral Liquor Store...which burnt down in late December...hmmmm, sez I!!!<P>I'm with Owlice...just how did you pull a muscle in your pelvis ????????? :eek: :eek:
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:21 pm

hey OT, ts'up. nice to see you shining again. it brightens the mood in these parts.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby owlice » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:55 pm

You're welcome, OT. I hope the rest of your recuperation goes smoothly!
owlice
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:39 pm

Hi,<P>Donna, as far as the "medical experts" and I can figure, I must have strained a muscle or other soft tissue, probably in the course of my physical therapy or something.<P>Are the ribs in O'side as good as the original? If so, you're on for that as soon as I'm able. For that matter, let's make a BBB San Diego clique of it & Selma can join us! :) :)<P>Ethan, I misspelled. I am on oxycondone and not oxycontin. I'm also on percoset(sp?) as needed. Can't wait till I don't need any of it anymore. ;)<p>[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby monkeymd2b » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:57 pm

How sad to hear about another example of suits directing medical care instead of the docs who spent years in school and know 10000000000000x more about what's better for you. I hope you're able to get some home nursing care at least and that you'll have a speedy recovery!

monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby priya978 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:59 pm

Yeah, without you this board lost some of it's unique <B>attitude</B>. Then it kept on gradually declining. But now the attitude is back!! <P>Classical music with attitude! :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:02 am

I continue to be amazed at what it takes to advance in industry - an eye on the bottom line. Technical comptetence doesn't guarantee you anything except happy customers.<P>Jim, it's good to see you're back on the boards here. I hope you're back on the bike before the snow flies (oh, yeah. Not much of that in San Diego - OK, before the leaves turn...OK, before the rainy season!).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:47 pm

Hi Jim. You haven't done a rant in a couple of days. Does this mean you're getting better treatment? I hope so. I'm whistling Pachelbel's Canon to you as I write. I realize you can't hear it, but does it help to know that? :) :) <BR>Shos<P>PS: I would have sung Nessun Dorma instead, but I'm not in good voice.<p>[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: shostakovich ]
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:51 pm

Hi Shos,<P>Thank you, I love the Cannon!<P>The facility I'm in now is a wonderful place (the food is even good!). It's like living in a new hotel with free meals, 24-hour assistance, and other fringe benefits, all at $90 a day.<P>I'm continuing to do battle with my HMO over my coverage. My lawyer is filing a complaint with the state. We find it ironic that they terminated my coverage because my rehab had gotten as far as it can until I can stand up and I no longer need any medical care, yet they have authorized coverage for home health nurses and physical therapists to visit me daily, which I'm sure costs more than keeping me in the last facility I was in! :mad:<p>[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections