Donna (dkm32)

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Donna (dkm32)

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:00 am

On another thread, one of our longest time BBB family members, Donna, has announced she is leaving the BBB as she received some nasty PM's regarding some of her posts. Personally, I can't imagine anything she has ever posted to be offensive in any way to anyone. I guess I'd like to think of this thread as a kind of petition to her, if she reads it, to forget about the ravings of a couple of individuals and resume contact with us. I know from personal experience she's a wonderful, good-hearted person, and it would be a real shame for us to lose contact with her. :(
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Re: Donna (dkm32)

Postby 1st_oboe » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:14 am

Don't let people get to ya! I've had my share of people not liking me, I just figure if they want to waste thier time and energy being mad at me, fine. Once someone passes a certian point of being mad at me for whatever reason, they go on permanant ignore in my brain. I don't read/listen/whatever anything they say/type/spray paint on my car!

Oh, and I'll have you know my signature has not changed since I first signed up to the board in May. This alone should make you feel speecial :D
Insert creative phrase here.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:24 am

she should come back cuz she enjoys this. she shouldn't need a petition.
as much as I like her posting and aprecciate the facet she adds to the BBB comunity, I'm not going to petition her to come back. it should be her own decision.
(I might be slightly suspicious since on another board I posted on there was a lady who every once in a while made big proclamations to the effect that she's leaving just to have everyone beg her to come back. I'm sure Donna is a lot more sane than the said lady but still I have a bad taste from such petitions).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:39 pm

Hey, I just saw somebody at the Chargers-Chiefs game with a poster that said "Come back DKM32"!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:55 pm

That must have been me, Serenity. I had to go like hell to get back for this post. There are at least 3 good reasons to have Donna stay with us.

1) I like her. :o

2) She keeps OT in his place ------ lovingly. :D

3) Josef Strauss needs representation. ;)
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:19 pm

that's cool!!! shos.
but this is so weird because I can't think of anyone who would have a grudge against her. anyway why be sneaky. I'm guessing it's a stupid troll emailing from different accounts.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Valerie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:25 am

this is horrible! i enjoy her posts!! very insightful

donna - hey, i have been called a prude and other things - i just consider the source and move on

please don't stop posting because of a few idiots
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:28 am

Donna, I can't imagine anyone objecting to anything you've posted (well, your picture leaves a lot to the imagination, but it's not objectionable). If anyone has flamed you in private messages, well, just to heck with 'em.

I've gotten in a few fairly heated discussions on the boards myself, although I wouldn't say I've been particularly flamed (except for my opinion of the majority of what I know of Mozart).

Although we've never actually met, I will join with Shos in saying I like you, and feel that the BBB will be a lesser place without you.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:32 am

Oh no Donna! Please don't go... You are much too valuable.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:48 am

I really don't like losing Donna. In the first place, she's funny and smart and good-natured. I don't recall any sarcastic comments she's ever made (mildly ironic, perhaps) nor anything mean-spirited. Even to HenryRhenals of flame-fame.

Don't go away, dkm32/Donna.

I particularly don't like the way Donna was attacked - privately, secretly, using what is supposed to be a community resource. The whole "community" concept is valuable and worth defending, and using our private communication capability to attack a member is evil and underhanded and sneaky and offensive.

If we lose a member, I'd like it to be the pm-terrorist. Donna is worth keeping. Sneaks are not.

Donna, please, I'd rather your posts didn't vanish. And Nicole Marie, please, does beethoven.com have a policy on sneak-attacks? I'd like to attack a sneak.

Selma
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:12 am

Donna! I wonder if you are reading this thread, studiously avoiding it or not
reading BBB at all... (yet?)

I really hope it's not well known long time members that have chased Donna away! That would be a travesty and would make me question my understanding of the BBB community as a friendly place. There's nothing in that thread that should have been offensive, nor elsewhere that I can remember! I see the BBB as a place have where we can disagree in peace, and also not be flamed for being un-funny in someone's eyes. (Donna unfunny, no! "Get yer priorities straight, post post post!" *laugh* OBVIOUSLY tongue in cheek!) Getting out of line in humor, yea, we can have some well intentioned grumbling, but in public please!

I'm not writing to beg and plead (I'll leave that to the others) but I'm upset that PMs would send Donna off away from us! Maybe we need some protection. Would it ruffle anyone's feathers to have an agreement amongst us posters that any PM attacks due to content in a public thread can be 'outed' for a gentle roasting of the attackers? We have plenty of even minded disagreement going on, so we should be able to roast these miscreants without being disagreeable, unless they're just too far out of line... Nicole? Can we get any policy on public floggings for sneak attackers?

*GRRR* What is this world coming to!?

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Bones » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:07 am

I just want to add my opinion to those that have already been expressed. The board will be diminished by Donna's absence. I would like to see her stay around. I have never seen her post anything that would warrant the kind of criticism she has reported.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:28 am

I, for one, would certainly have no qualms about "outing" anyone who sneak-attacked me. I doubt if there's any way to make that an enforcable policy of the BBB, but perhaps it can be urged as a practice on the BBB rules?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Angie Parkes » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:37 am

Donna, if you're reading this, please return.

There's another thread that has generated some discussion on bullying. An attack by private mail is just another form of it. It looks like there is a sizeable community here to stand up to e-bullies.

Please know that you have our full support, Donna.

--Angie
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Valerie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:48 am

i agree with OT

let's "out" the sucker(s) who sent ugly private messages to donna

there is no place for ugliness or mean-spirited people on BBB

we may disagree about things (all in good jest)- but there is no reason to be mean or ugly to anybody

however, i do believe there is a line - and there are people who have crossed it and they do need to be called on the carpet once in a while...

donna - don't go - don't give into bulletin board terrorists...
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:34 pm

Strav:
"however, i do believe there is a line - and there are people who have crossed it and they do need to be called on the carpet once in a while..."
I agree with Strav that sometimes, some of us will take offense at another's posting. It usually seems to follow from misunderstandings, and therefore we liberally use qualifiers & smileys to indicate humor, joking, etc.
So, if one takes offense and wants to chastise the offender, then go for it... PUBLICLY. After all, the offending statement was public.

On another note:
This thread is amazingly uniform in its expressed opinions. Is this reallllllllly b.com or did I wander into the twilight zone? :D

And, not to lose track entirely -
Donna, it would be great if you would rejoin us, and let both enjoy your wit and test our theories........
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:45 pm

Donna e-mailed and asked me to relay some information to you all. She actually didn't receive any pm's but got a total of 8 e-mails, 2 to her b.com address, and 6 to her address listed on her website. They were all from b.com adresses, but from different people, and only a couple of names she recognized (she didn't specify if all 8 were from different people). She didn't save them. She doesn't feel safe about posting & being herself now, which is a durn shame.

Piqaboo, be afraid. You are in the Twilight Zone.

<small>[ 09-08-2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: operatenor ]</small>
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Marye » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:53 pm

Well then Donna, do what you must do to feel safe again. I shall remain hopeful that you will be back...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:04 pm

Hi Donna I can't send you a reply email since you are no longer recieving email at your Beethoven account. It seems you've closed shop. So I am posting to the world my reply to your email!

Hi Donna-

Don't leave the BBB! We are glad you'll still be with us as a listener but it's not going to be the same on the Board with out you!

Don't let a few jackasses get to you. If I was pissed and left everytime I recieved a personal message from people on the board (and believe me I've recieved a few) then I'd have left a long time ago. Stand by your postings, I will, and don't let them get to you. You are stronger than this. In life people will tell us things we don't want to hear, yes we take it to heart, but digest it and let it go. You are much to important to us and I value your opinions and comments to much to let you leave.

I can delete their email account if you want! I have access to the whole system!!! ;) (Joke) Don't leave Donna, we love you to much and you are to important to the Beethoven Radio family. We love you and that's all that matters.

Nicole
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:18 pm

I guess Donna did get my email... but I'm posting a reply I just sent Donna because I think everyone needs to be reminded of the rules of the BBB....

Hi Donna-

I get emails like that once in a while. But it just lets me know where they are coming from and now I know how to hit 'em harder. The important thing is you have dozens more who love you. Look at where those emails are coming from. Those are people you'd never call a friend anyway. Everyone can't like us all the time, but if we stop living life the way we want to, then we should give up now. Don't let someone dictate to you how to act or what to say. You are you, we love you for that!

Nicole

As a note to all: Remember the rules for the BBB. I hope you will carry the rules of respect to all aspects of your lives and remember to respect others opinions and comments.

<small>[ 09-08-2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections