SoCal in flames

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:18 am

Hmm...I was quite sure I didn't see this thread last night, given that it was started on the 27th of October.

Saw about the fire on the news. Hope your near and dear ones are safe.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 am

Yes Nav, Oct 27 of 2003.

:D
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby navneeth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:10 am

OperaTenor wrote:Yes Nav, Oct 27 of 2003.

:D

Exactly. Realised that after seeing some unfamiliar usernames on the front page. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:12 am

Arson this time as well, it seems. Wonder if the date had any significance to the jerk(s) responsible?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:02 pm

I remember the '03 fires well. When this thread was started, I was incarcerated at the Marine Corps Recurit Depot in San Diego.

There were some days that the smoke and ash in the air was so bad, the whole depot was black flagged, so we could only go outside when we had to. (Basically to march from one building to another for various reasons.)
It was quite a site seeing hundreds of people all wearing surgical masks, trying to filter out all the nasties we would have otherwise been breathing in...

Although, as Selma said in an eariler post, the sunrises and sunsets were absolutely amazing. Even sometimes in the middle of the day, the smoke would get so thick that it would look like an absolutely amazing sunset.
Insert creative phrase here.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:46 pm

I remember a day spent watering down the roof and the yard of a house I lived in at the time and doing other things to prepare for evacuation. We wound up being about 5 miles from the closest part of the blaze but there were a few tense moments one morning with the ash falling like snow and the wind direction dictating whether or not we would have had to evacuate.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:44 pm

Though I live in NorCal, there was an article in our papaer this AM about the 5 firefighters who died or were injured in the fire. The survivor is 90% burned. I am just sick over this. For some reason that article really hit me in the gut and seeing their pictures only made it worse. I feel so awful for these young people (heros really) who died fighting this fire. The one who is surviving (if he continues to survive) will have a life changed forever. An all of this because some low life got his kicks by watching the flames. I sincerely hope that they catch the guys or guys...I could think of lots of things I'd like to do to the person(s). In the meantime, my heart goes out to all those touched by this horrible event.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:13 pm

I was unaware of the fire until I read your post.
I then Googled to news articles about the blaze and the sad stories of the firefighters you refer to.

I am kind of angry at the stupid Google links to Fire Extinguishers sales.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:57 pm

Commiserations to SoCal.

You're almost as bad as the Aussies, whose bush has been burning off & on for about 3 months now. They have a problem with arsonists too. They caught a couple last year & jailed them. The Californian fires made our TV & newspapers, and the pictures were quite spectacular.

We will probably send some firefighters over for training. We did last time the Montana fires were raging, and we often lend the Aussies a hand. It's good training for our guys in case one of our forests goes up. Today has been wet all day, so there won't be a fire here any time soon.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:48 pm

My parents decided to go RVing near Palm Springs last week. I had joined them several years ago in the campground that was cut off by the fire, so I assumed they were there.

Fortunately, they were not. They were upwind of the fires, although now that they are home (near Hemet), they said the sky was pretty orange from the smoke.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 pm

barfle,
im glad your folks are ok. Now to check fire map for Yucaipa....
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 pm

piqaboo wrote:barfle,
im glad your folks are ok. Now to check fire map for Yucaipa....

Thank you. As you might guess, so am I.

How's the piping project going? Haven't heard from Mr. T for a while.
:?:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:03 pm

OT is under the weather. Shame too as the weather is lovely.

Piping was completed Friday at 4. They were in a bit of a scramble by then.The piping is done but it surely didnt go smoothly. Our neighbors had theirs done outside the house.....they may be smarter than us.

The final line has half a million right angle turns in it over the last 8 feet. The kitchen sink now fills rather slowly. OT can tell the tale. He was VERY glad I wasnt home during that portion of the event.

I'm suspecting a leak in the connection to the outdoor faucet which is disturbing. Oh yeah, and OT has to replace an outlet with a shallower one.

The drywall guy came yesterday to evaluate. The good news is that the price includes drywall, mudding/plastering (we have textured walls) AND painting so long as we supply the paint. The bad news is he cant start til late on Thursday. Im guessing that means he cant finish this week.
The previous owners left cans of most colors in the house tho most of the walls are Polar Bear white. Frustratingly, the colors for the holey rooms which are not Polar Bear white have gone AWOL. We'll keep looking. For one of those rooms we only need about half a cup of paint! For the other, a quart would be reasonable if excessive.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:20 pm

piqaboo wrote:OT is under the weather. Shame too as the weather is lovely.

Piping was completed Friday at 4. They were in a bit of a scramble by then.The piping is done but it surely didnt go smoothly. Our neighbors had theirs done outside the house.....they may be smarter than us.

The final line has half a million right angle turns in it over the last 8 feet. The kitchen sink now fills rather slowly. OT can tell the tale. He was VERY glad I wasnt home during that portion of the event.

I'm suspecting a leak in the connection to the outdoor faucet which is disturbing. Oh yeah, and OT has to replace an outlet with a shallower one.

The drywall guy came yesterday to evaluate. The good news is that the price includes drywall, mudding/plastering (we have textured walls) AND painting so long as we supply the paint. The bad news is he cant start til late on Thursday. Im guessing that means he cant finish this week.
The previous owners left cans of most colors in the house tho most of the walls are Polar Bear white. Frustratingly, the colors for the holey rooms which are not Polar Bear white have gone AWOL. We'll keep looking. For one of those rooms we only need about half a cup of paint! For the other, a quart would be reasonable if excessive.

Give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Having done a bit of plumbing, I have discovered that lots of bends in the pipes can slow down the flow. I knew that, of course, but didn't suspect it would be as noticable as it is.

Fortunately, I tested my plumbing for leaks before I sealed it up. The walls remain dry. :flex:

Paint isn't very expensive. Home Despot can match just about any color. White rooms are boring.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:11 am

I heard on the news this AM that, sadly, the 5th firefighter has died of his burns from the SoCal fire(s). The poor man was burned over 90% of his body and Dr's are now saying that they questioned whether he would have had a decent quality of life had he survived. It sounds as if the fire(s) are now under control. Apparently there is at least a lead on a suspect for this heinous arson crime.

Truly sad.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:30 pm

I assume that when the arsonist is caught, he/she will be tried for murder?

The quality of life issue for the 5th firefighter also was because he had severe lung damage. Not being able to breathe can be a problem....

Its sad and infuriating.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 pm

piqaboo wrote:I assume that when the arsonist is caught, he/she will be tried for murder?

The quality of life issue for the 5th firefighter also was because he had severe lung damage. Not being able to breathe can be a problem....

Its sad and infuriating.

Does California have the death penalty for this type of crime?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 pm

I am not sure if the death penalty would apply here. The crime would have to be deemed first degree murder and that of multiple victims (which is the case since 5 firefighters died). Here is a little information on CA Capital Punishment:

#######################
The California State Legislature re-enacted the death penalty statute in 1977. Under the new statute, evidence in mitigation was permitted.

The death penalty was reinstated as a possible punishment for first-degree murder under certain conditions. These "special circumstances" include: murder for financial gain, murder by a person previously convicted of murder, murder of multiple victims, murder with torture, murder of a peace officer, murder of a witness to prevent testimony and several other murders under particular circumstances.

In 1977, the Penal Code also was revised to include the sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. At that time, the punishment for kidnapping for ransom, extortion, or robbery was changed from death to life without parole. Treason, train derailing or wrecking, and securing the death of an innocent person through perjury became punishable by death or life imprisonment without parole.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:55 am

I think that the deaths of the five fire-fighters would make it a multiple murder, and murder of a peace officer. I believe firefighters are sworn in. And I do know that deaths in an arson fire are accounted as murders.

I wouldn't insist on the death penalty. I'd be willing to let the convicted arsonist be the front-line guy permanently assigned to fire duty in every single wildfire, until one of the fires gets him. It seems appropriate.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:47 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I think that the deaths of the five fire-fighters would make it a multiple murder, and murder of a peace officer. I believe firefighters are sworn in. And I do know that deaths in an arson fire are accounted as murders.

I wouldn't insist on the death penalty. I'd be willing to let the convicted arsonist be the front-line guy permanently assigned to fire duty in every single wildfire, until one of the fires gets him. It seems appropriate.

DITTO
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections