LH Jazz Fest.

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

LH Jazz Fest.

Postby 1st_oboe » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:41 am

The University of Idaho's Lionel Hampton Jazz festival will be Feb. 25-28. I will be there with me college jazz band (no, I don't play oboe in jazz band... I play bass trombone <splat!>). We are leaving Oregon Wed, will be there that night for the concert, playing for the clinicians sometime thursday, going to the concert again that night, then heading home friday morning.
I already know Ethan is planning on meeting up with me there. Anyone else interested? I'm sure I could get away for a while to have a BBB gathering of some sort.

Cheers!
Aaron
:) :) :)
Insert creative phrase here.
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Re: LH Jazz Fest.

Postby 1st_oboe » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:43 am

1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:57 pm

Originally posted by 1st_oboe:
...I don't play oboe in jazz band...
I'm trying to visualize a jazz oboe. Mind expanding exercise, yup! :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:06 pm

Jazz oboe strikes me a as a cheek -expanding exercise! :D
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:50 pm

Hey, I have been known to whip out the oboe or English horn when we do our daily Bb Blues 'everybody is a soloist' warm-up :D

I have heard some very good jazz oboe on the now extinct mp3.com It does exist!

Aaron
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Oboists have to live on the west coast. they won't be able to stand the weather here. our choral conductor explained to us why the church we are siging in has to have the heat on 22.5 hours before our concert in it. she told us that if it is too cold, warm air through oboe+cold air outside=exploding oboe. no wonder oboists are so twitchy. ;)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:13 am

Big, baby, is your choral director, perchance, a Swede? This sounds like a scandalhoovian joke to me.

Them nordic types will pull your leg until it falls off, then solemnly gift wrap it and return it to you, with a thank you card and a gift certificate for a peg leg.

Exploding oboe stories would be right down their alley.

Oboe: an ill wind nobody blows good.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:30 pm

We had a jazz band from the local college come and play at our high school back in the day. They featured prom•i•nent•ly an oboist who was quite lithe in his solo playing. Didn't think anything unusual of it at the time.

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:16 pm

it is easy to disbelieve that story from San Diego. come up here and you'll believe the story. (of course I've added a few frills of my own to the story...) ;)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:34 pm

Originally posted by bignaf:
...come up here and you'll believe the story...
I'm blond, not suicidal. No, thank you very much, I'll keep my ice where it belongs, in my glass.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Oboes do explode. Last winter I had to send my baby off to get a crack repaired after an unusually cold and dry couple of weeks. Not two days after my oboe exploded, one of my students' oboes cracked too. It happens, and not just in NE! :( Tragic.

Say no to crack(s)!
Aaron

P.S. My oboe is doing fine this winter, [crossing fingers] so far...[/crossing fingers]
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby 1st_oboe » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:26 pm

We're off! Full report of the festivities on friday!

Cheers!
Aaron AKA 1st_driver (eep!)
1st_oboe
4th Chair

Postby EJA » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:59 pm

I hope Aaron doesn't mind me admitting to this. The first Inland Northwest Beethoven Radio Luncheon was a failure. Both of us had a tight schedule, but figured we could get together for lunch at Applebees at 12:30. I got there right on the dot and told the waitress that I was expecting two more people (Aaron said he was bringing another BBB member). I told her that they would be Beethoven Radio people. She seated me and assured me that she would send them over to the table as soon as they arrived. I didn't trust this completely, and kept a keen eye on the door for Beethoven Radio hats, but I did take a few minutes to visit the lavatory. Unbeknownst to me, Aaron arrived at 12:40, probably about the time I was in the can, or shortly after, and told the waitress (same waitress, I think) something similar. She seated him too, somewhere else, with the same assurances. At about a quarter til, I began to wonder what was going on so I called Aaron's cell phone. Apparently he is one of those polite people who turns off his cell phone in a restaraunt. I kept calling him until 1, at which time I paid for my strawberry lemonade, which was better than I expected, and left to run an errand in Moscow. At this point I was assuming that his cell phone was off because he was in a listening session that must have run late, and that he had lost track of time. I figured that I would run the errand and then check back to see if I could get in touch with him. I kept calling as I had opportunity, and finally got through to him about 1:20. He had just turned on his cell phone after leaving Applebees. By that time, I had to go back to work, and he had to go play his trombone, so we called it quits. Neither of us ever saw the other or got anything to eat. I guess next time we should meet outside and not trust some clueless waitress. It seems awfully pathetic that we spent 20 minutes in the same restaraunt and never even knew it. Maybe next year we will get it right. :roll:
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:45 pm

Ethan, that's sad in some old black and white movie kind of way.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:55 pm

Yeah, but didn't it take place on the Empire State Building, or somewhere like it? Surely not in Idaho!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby EJA » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:56 pm

Guess I don't know that movie. What is it? I did read a short story once about something like that.

That reminds me -- a local theater is having its 75th anniversary and is showing Casablanca at the 1928 price of 50 cents a show. Is it worth seeing?
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:21 pm

An Affair to Remember had Cary Grant waiting for Deborah Kerr on top of the Empire State Building. She was rushing to meet him, but was involved in a crippling accident. It was polled as one of the 3 top movies to see for Valentine's Day. I wouldn't watch it again. Call me "unsentimental". Maybe it would have been better in black and white.

As for Casablanca, it's definitely worth seeing because it's referenced so often. For the full effect, watch Woody Allen's Play It Again, Sam right after.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:44 am

Casablanca is worth seeing any time, and for 50¢, I wouldn't miss it. OF course, I can watch it any time I have a spare couple of hours at home.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:48 am

There are several references to "An Affair to Remember" in the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. The running joke is that it moves all women to tears and the men just don't get it.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:34 pm

Yeah, Tim, that scene in which Sam and his brother-in-law were fake-crying over the Dirty Dozen was hilarious.

I must say, however, my husband and his best friend were sniffling at the end of Eight Seconds, and I was completely unmoved.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections