Summer Vacation

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Summer Vacation

Postby Serenity » Sun May 30, 2004 8:13 am

Summer's here, YEAH!
Does anyone want to share their vacation plans or experiences?
Would you like to ask others about places you would like to visit?
Do you want to advertise your home city or state? Do it here on the vacation thread!
Serenity
1st Chair

Re: Summer Vacation

Postby OperaTenor » Sun May 30, 2004 11:19 pm

No big travel plans for us this summer, although we have a huge adventure in the works: Altoid.

However, we hope she turns out to be a good traveler, as we wish to go to NZ this winter, then to England and Ireland next summer(another singing tour).
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon May 31, 2004 4:58 am

Going to Denver for dci finals in late July / early August. Gonna stay with my sister in Aurora.

Same sister is coming here mid-July; her school district is sending her to some week-long seminar at USD and she'll be staying at my house.

Having strategically located family works really well!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon May 31, 2004 12:56 pm

Prolly just going to be playing host and tour guide for the visitors we'll be getting this summer. Although I get quite a bit of vacation time, I seem to use it up on other people coming to visit us.

Not that they aren't welcome, but I'd like to use up those frequent flyer miles before the airlines go bankrupt.

We're seeing if we can sneak in a three day weekend and hit Broadway sometime this summer or fall. I've never seen a genuine Broadway show, and my wife has never been to NYC.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon May 31, 2004 3:14 pm

Sailing the Thousand Islands for a few weeks.. Tuscany in the Fall.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:05 am

Nothing this summer really, just a trip tubing down the chilly Guadalupe, but in December, my husband and I are celebrating our third anniversary with a trip to the Bahamas. . .and next summer I'll be going to England and Ireland. . .Very exciting!
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:12 pm

Hi Mary, you'll love Tuscanny if you've never been before. I highly reccommend visiting Lucca and La Cinque Terra if you get the opportunity. I also recently read an article about the David's having just been cleaned, so that should be interesting as well.
If you've not been to Italy before, a word of caution: Be very aware of your surroundings, and keep your valuables secure. The pickpockets are extremely clever and aggresive.

And most importantly(even above drinking the "locale" wines): EAT LOTS OF GELATO!

:D

Hi Saxy, we should trade itineraries for England and Ireland. Who knows, you may get to come to one of our concerts.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:24 pm

OT:
I went to England, Scotland and Wales last summer and absolutely fell in love. I graduated with a BA in history, specializing in British history, so it was terrific to get to see in person all the things I had studied about so much!
I think we'll be heading down there in June of 2005 for two weeks.
It would be great to see some concerts while we're there. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze it into the itinerary.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:44 pm

PORTUGAL!!! Yahoo!

Wine, food, family and our beach house. All you need to live right on the ocean. My husband's family is from the Aveiro area, famous for it's lagoons, and canals. "Deserving a special mention the Cathedral (15th-18th centuries) and Gothic cross; Misericórdia Church and São Bartolomeu Chapel; 18th century churches of Santo António and São Gonçalo. Regional Museum, housed in the ancient Convento de Jesus." http://www.portugal.org/index.shtml

Of course we will travel into Porto and Coimbra. Parts of my family are coming over with my husband and I. (Some of my family has never met parts of Bruno's family, should be interesting! At least most of my family speaks Italian and the two langues are close enough... I hope.)
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Summer fun in San Diego for me - yeah!
(oh wait, I live here.... I get to enjoy this place year-round......) DOuble YEAH!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby The Great Carouser » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Vacation?

We don't need no stinking VACATION!

:D :D :mad:
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:00 pm

The White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. The whole family migrates to cabins along a lake every 4th of July and we spend the week going to each others' cookouts.
Check out things to do at http://www.visitwhitemountains.com
Gotta git one o'dem license plates that say "Live Free or Die".
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:05 am

Australia, possibly July; more likely August/September. In particular, the Ghan train from Adelaide to Darwin through the middle of the continent. It takes about 2 days non-stop. It's non-stop because, apart from Alice Springs, there's nowhere to stop. The line from Alice to Darwin has only recently been completed.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:03 am

Isn't summer "down under" during our winter "up over" here?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:51 am

When do spring and fall start in Auzieland and New Zealand ?

We're juggling an attempt at visiting during NZ summer = longer days extra crowds and expenses (and we dont notice the "hot" weather)
vs NZ winter = OT's slow season for work, short short chilly (10 hour) days, no crowds.
I'm thinking we may be best off in a "cusp" season, if we can pull that off from this end.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:13 pm

Why are there two vacation threads? If everybody starts a vacation thread, will there be 2000 vacation threads?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby The Great Carouser » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:26 pm

The other one deals with one's favorite place(s) to vacation as opposed to where they are vacationing over the summer.
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:33 pm

I started the other thread because I was interested in people's favorite vacation spots (or dream spots), as opposed to where they are traveling in actuality this summer. Not necessarily the same thing.
I like to get ideas of what other people like when considering where I would like to vacation.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:41 pm

It looks like another haying vacation for me this summer (much like a working vacation, but more work).
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:03 pm

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
I started the other thread because I was interested in people's favorite vacation spots (or dream spots), as opposed to where they are traveling in actuality this summer. Not necessarily the same thing.
I like to get ideas of what other people like when considering where I would like to vacation.
You're right, sorry! I jumped too soon. Sometimes the board gets busy, threads get hijacked and I get frustrated trying to figure out which topic I was following and where it went.
Serenity
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections