Favorite Travel Spots

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Favorite Travel Spots

Postby monkeymd2b » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:17 am

So now that I am officially done with my third year of med school, it's time to seriously start planning my vacation. If i had it my way, I would still be sleeping but my body doesn't yet understand the concept of sleeping in. Anyway, I have NEVER left this stinking country so I'm having a hard time deciding where to go. The trip will be in April next year so if there's any special stuff that happens in april, that would make the trip even better. Any suggestions?
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Re: Favorite Travel Spots

Postby The Great Carouser » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:25 am

Warm weather or cold? Interests (scuba,skiing,art, architecture,food, wine, etc)? Please fill out the questionnaire and we'll go into your answer in more depth! :D
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:17 pm

In terms of weather, I like it cool - not too cold but not really hot. In other words, I don't want it to be snowing and I don't want to feel so hot such that my brain feels like it's boiling in its own juices. I probably don't want to be skiing because I can just pay my friends to push me down on the ground for a fraction of the price (I grew up in hawaii and haven't mastered surfing either). I love food and looking at old style buildings. I think I'm a history person since I like visiting historical sites and learning stuff like that. I'm also still a kid though since wine doesn't interest me just yet...afterall, my interest in denmark is the legoland amusement park. I don't know if I want to hike about on my trip but if it's one of those "must see" type physical activities, then I'll do it because I hate to miss out. For example,. I went on a canoe in the swamps here in louisiana because apparently seeing an alligator up close is a must. Sure, I was afraid to move in the little boat for fear of tipping over and being mauled by the alligators swimming around us and sure, I kept mistaking logs for alligators but I did it and I'm happy I did. Maybe next time I'll keep my oar in the water and help paddle a little more.

I'm really open to most things because I'm afraid to set too many limits on these suggestions. I need to learn to expand my horizons. hope that helps...somewhat.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:47 pm

We have a Legoland in Sandy Eggo. Go figure. And a zoo, a couple of Spanish ruins, lots of freeways.

You could go see a travel agent, tell her your climate preferences and interests, set a budget, and see what suggestions she has. I think they have packages that include a Euro rail pass and a list of hostels and hiking trails. You could get in a lot of history that way. Probably more fun in a group than as a onesie.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:34 am

If you're looking to leave the country, Mexico is probably the cheapest to get to from N'Awlins. The border towns are pretty much as you would expect - somewhat chaotic, lots of strip joints, a few good places if you can take the time to figure them out - sort of like Bourbon Street.

But there are a number of quite nice resorts. I'd check with a travel agent to see what might be decently cool during the summer. They do have mountains that get quite cool.

But Canada isn't all that far away, either, and if you're looking for cool I'd pick Vancouver Island or something along the Atlantic coast.

Domestically, one of the fun things I've done is taken the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (D&SNGRR). It is a fairly small train that, as you might suspect, goes from Durango to Silverton in Colorado. It goes through a remarkable variety of landscapes, from plains to a mountain valley that needs to be seen to be believed. It's a nice combination of nature and machine. The round trip takes a day, but I've also heard taking one leg on the bus is quite a trip as well.

Arizona and Utah have incredible National Parks, any one of which is worth three to seven days, depending on how much you like to hike or commune with nature.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:41 pm

First trip OUS- do you speak any other languages?

English speaking destinations:
Coastal British Columbia is wonderful. Vancouver Island, Victoria etc.

England is easy, and quite cool in April.
I've traveled over much of southern England by just showing up at a train station, reading the schedule and getting the train I wanted - never had to wait more than an hour for that train to arrive. Or just hanging about London, taking the buses and tube, with train day excursions to various sites. And if you get bit by an adventure bug, you could take the chunnel train and get to France as well.

New Zealand is wonderful. The only downside - it costs a lot in both time and money to get there.

April in the Bahamas or Bermuda is likely to be getting warm but not scorching. Do you like to snorkel?

Mexican resorts - by April can be HOT or comfy, depending on where in Mexico, as noted by barfle.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections